The Wolverine Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that had a lot to do with the fact that people were being more cautious and not expecting as much from this film, thus the big pleasant surprise on how good it turned out to be.

I think that if the main villains were better, then this film would be near perfect

X-Men Origins:Wolverine left people disappointed.The critics and the internet ripped it.Even Hugh Jackman called it a mistake.The movie had huge expectations when it released.It got an opening of 85 million something that Thor in 2013 with an Avengers boost is going to do.

I think people expected The Wolverine to be a horrible movie.But the end result was different.The Wolverine is arguably the best superhero movie this year.Iron Man 3 despite grossing huge wasn't good as Iron Man 1 or 2 and the Mandarin twist wasn't positively recieved.Man of Steel had huge hype but it wasn't upto the mark.

The Wolverine's climax could have been done a little better but the post credits scene more than made up for it.

X-Men Origins:Wolverine left people disappointed.The critics and the internet ripped it.Even Hugh Jackman called it a mistake.The movie had huge expectations when it released.It got an opening of 85 million something that Thor in 2013 with an Avengers boost is going to do.

I think people expected The Wolverine to be a horrible movie.But the end result was different.The Wolverine is arguably the best superhero movie this year.Iron Man 3 despite grossing huge wasn't good as Iron Man 1 or 2 and the Mandarin twist wasn't positively recieved.Man of Steel had huge hype but it wasn't upto the mark.

The Wolverine's climax could have been done a little better but the post credits scene more than made up for it.

Yeah, even I found myself pleasantly surprised on how much I enjoyed the film. It really took advantage of its surroundings and allowed the character development aspect of the film free reigns for the most part. If the film had a better main villain in Viper and the Silver Samurai, I'd argue that the film would be nearly perfect.

Or if the film had a better final act or better than first 90 minutes, The Wolverine would have been the greatest CBM film when it comes to critics. I'm sure it would get at least 15 points bump if the film was consistent from beginning to end.

The Wolverine was a very good CBM.Till the introduction of Silver Samurai,it was perfect.If only they got a better main villain and better execution of the final fight scenes,it would have been even better

i thought The Wolverine was awesome ! For me it;s the best CMB of the year . sure it had some minor week points ..but was still great.
Did you guys see the rating on IMDB ? 6,9 ? ....really ? come on ..it deserves more that that !!!!! go vote guys ....it's a shame it got this rating because it;s 100 times better than origins !votee!!! :)))

Watching the extended cut of this film right now, didnt see it in theaters. All i can say is its terrific, the action is brutal and amizingly choreographed. And the film as a whole explores brand new territory for the chatacter and the franchise. Its a breath of fresh air in the same vein as first class. Seeing logan experiencing pain and realizing its not suddenly dissipating is great stuff, and seeing him push through prolly due to the fact hes experienced so much throughout his journeys just solidifies fierceness and resolve as a character. Also beautifully shot and well acted with an authentic cast, just great stuff all around. Maybe fox is finally learning from their mistakes. Bring on days of future past, and a sequel, i want a ficking mask.

^Can you list what was extended at all? Or will you not know as you havent seen the theatrical cut?

Scene in village with ninjas is longer, scene outside love hostel is longer, also they added Yashida talk with Shingen scene, CGI blood in some scenes, that's what I remember.

One of my problems with old Yashida faking his death was how obvious it was to the audience. He just "dies" randomly. However in the extended cut, there is a scene between Yashida and Shingen that makes you think Shingen might have been the one to kill him.

The extra scenes are good too like the rain scene and the ninja fight because it shows Wolverine almost getting killed by regular people.

So we do get to see the rest (more?) of that scene in the rain. I was wondering about that.

Yeah it was good. That was one of the scenes I was most curious about in the trailer. [BLACKOUT]It kept the danger alive. It felt more serious with the Yakuza following them to the hotel. Like everywhere you turn there's someone trying to kill you.[/BLACKOUT]

Movie mistake or crossover? :D

1PXiwY0.jpg

Bigger version: http://i.imgur.com/FJEh1fN.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn't there suppose to be a scene in the movie with a ninja that has chains or something. I swear I saw it snippet in a trailer. It's still not in the Unrated Cut.

^ Yeah whats up with that? They still cut that ninja fight down some huh

^Can you list what was extended at all? Or will you not know as you havent seen the theatrical cut?

Havent seen the theatrical, i will def assume that the extended version is bloodier tho cuz there are some semi gruesome kills.

This was maybe the best superhero movie of the year for me. I liked the toned down, Japanese crime thriller vibe the movie had going for the most part. Made it stand out amongst all the CG-filled, big budget blockbuster type superheroe movies that we saw this year. Also, Mariko was badass :hrt:
And the post-credit scene got me more excited for DOFP than the trailer did!

I've been watching this movie a few times since I got it on Digital HD... and I gotta say... I'm not sure where I rank this movie anymore.

And that's a good thing.

When I first saw it, I ranked it #5 out of 6. That wasn't a knock - I love ALL the X-Men movies, and I just feel like I like the X-Men better as a group than as individuals, and I like the X-Men group stories better than solo stories.

But watching it a few more times and man... this movie is better than #5 out of 6.

My original ranking:

1.) X-Men: First Class
2.) X-Men: The Last Stand
3.) X2: X-Men United
4.) X-Men
5.) The Wolverine
6.) X-Men Origins: Wolverine

But after watching the film a few more times, this movie is definitely up there with X2 and X-Men. I dunno man. I love this movie more and more everytime I watch it.

Nell, I get that. When I first saw it, I was a little underwhelmed. But I just knew I saw something with real quality in it and knew that I have to see it again. Now I've watched the extended version three times already. I love it. So many of those good old movie-making skills and moments here. Great acting, and every scene seems to become better and better the more I watch them. Especially the quiet ones. I liked Mangold's earlier movies already for the most part, but now I'm convinced of his skills and love for the cinema.

It's not like this movie is overly deep, but it seems to have subtle layers in it. Absolutely love this film. So much that I updated my previous Mangold favorites Cop Land and 3:10 to Yuma to blu-ray format immediately.

Just a week away from seeing the extended cut be interesting to compare, know its not a whole different film but I wonder if the slightly more adult violence and language will improve or detract from the original, cant wait to find out. Plus I will update my review too just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"