The Wolverine Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rated it 6 but in hindsight I should of done it higher. I thought some elements of it were amazing, but others were a little disappointing. I didn't like Viper and the final fight scene was a bit meh. However Mariko, Yukio and Wolverine were all amazingly done and the majority of the fight scenes were magnificent.

For me personally the final showdown should have been something like Shingen vs Wolverine, in terms of style. Just two guys beating the hell out of each other with swords and claws, with no robot suit, no claws cut off, and no viper. Just a brutal and dark fight.

Even though I loved the movie thoroughly...I agree that if they would've stayed with the Japanese crime drama feel from the first 2 acts into the 3rd act it would've transcended comic book films and became a classic along the lines of Oldboy..

I liked it. No more, no less. Very solid piece of work. As far from as bad as "Origins" as it is far from as fantastic as the Claremont/Miller story it's based on.

What I missed most was visual drama/brilliance and a more thematically striking use of Wolverine in Japan. Also too bad that the "inner struggle between man and animal" thing from the comic got lost in the mix.

I loved the fight scenes though. And also how the movie never lost focus on it's characters. Most of all I loved how Wolverine the character really got through. With a great balance/mix of his huge heart and his stubborn mind.

7/10

Im glad they included the "inner struggle between man and animal" at all. The beginning with Logan and the bear was so well done and I was just glad they included that aspect of Logan's character...Showing that he can relate to a wild animal more than he can to another man.

I'm heading in to see it for the fourth time in a few minutes. :up:

Damn! You have me beat, I admit defeat! Mind you if I had gotten to meet Mr Jackman before seeing it the first time I would probably be in double figures now:woot:

I'm heading in to see it for the fourth time in a few minutes. :up:

Ha! I've seen it four times already :D. Wouldn't mind seeing it again, but don't know who else I would take to see it :D

So my fourth showing was even more awesome because the theater was crowded and totally into the movie. The guy in front of us was jumping up and down at the end credits scene. :woot:

So my fourth showing was even more awesome because the theater was crowded and totally into the movie. The guy in front of us was jumping up and down at the end credits scene. :woot:

Wow, sounds amazing! It finished its run on the Giant Screen cinema at Birmingham (72ft digital screen, not IMAX) but is still showing at regular cinemas. I do want to see it again.

Wow, sounds amazing! It finished its run on the Giant Screen cinema at Birmingham (72ft digital screen, not IMAX) but is still showing at regular cinemas. I do want to see it again.

It was surprisingly great! It's in the medium-sized theater, and we weren't expecting it to be crowded, but it wound up being about 2/3 full. They laughed in the right spots, and I heard one guy say "Uh-oh", when Wolverine left the chopsticks sticking up the first time. It was fun. :up:

So basically what thy just did fifteen minutes earlier with Shingen, ok I can understand that, I liked that it was different, but that is just a personal preference. The claws getting cut off was brilliant because there are actual lasting consequences for Logan (and the cool bone claws are back). I agree about the ninja fight, it should have been longer. I wonder if it was cut to get a PG-13 rating? I loved Mariko throwing the knives. One, it made her more than just a damsel in distress in the final act, in fact she saves Logan. Two, it was set up earlier when she mentions that she was a champion knife thrower, nice payoff there. Three, it was her symbolically rejecting her grandfather and what he stood for. I liked Harada, but I can understand why some people don't like his role, its personal preference.

I could have forgiven the 3rd act a little if at least the action scene's had been good, but the Wolverine vs SS fight and the Yukio vs Viper fight were very poor even as a spectacle, especially coming not long after Yukio/Wolverine vs Shingen, which was a genuinely good action scene that was also highly charged.

The final fight was the poorest action scene in the movie by far, and this made the poor plot points and story choices stick out even more.

Really, I really liked both fights. The scene when SS cuts off Logan's claws was a WTF moment. I guess it comes down to personal preferences. Viper's fate was hardcore.

Okay, finally saw it. I was a little underwhelmed (possibly because the last act was a little off the overall tone of the movie, and also because Viper felt a little out of place) but damn satisfied. This is Wolverine. I liked how they took their time to go deep into the character. I also loved Yukio and Mariko, oh my. I like how mature this movie was. I really want to see this again, right now, and that's possibly another reason why I felt a little underwhelmed - I needed to see it again, immediately. Hah. Anyway, definitely bying the upcoming extended cut on blu-ray.

Oh, and one other thing - I felt this film actually managed to make X3 a little better. Imagine that. I gave this a solid 9. Even though some things I thought didn't quite fit, this is one well made movie. Good pacing, good storytelling, good focus on the characters and aggressive violence. Mangold knows his stuff.

I'm glad like a little fanboy. I fell in love with the character in 80's when I was just a brat. And now, I got this little gem right here. I can forget about the Origins movie that let me down, and watch X3 without so much contempt. Can't ask for more.

I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. I felt the movie was half-great, and half lost.

Hugh Jackman definitely made it worth it though, his performance was excellent. He brought a kind of aggressiveness and flare to the role which really impressed, seeing as how he can invigorate this character despite having played him for 10 years. The final half though just didn't do it for me, mostly with the plot and writing.

My thoughts are all in this short review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz6D0JM5ebg

Really, I really liked both fights. The scene when SS cuts off Logan's claws was a WTF moment. I guess it comes down to personal preferences. Viper's fate was hardcore.

Vipers final moments were great, but everything about her fight with Yukio and Wolverine's with SS was just so underwhelming, it wasnt even good action, which was frustrating as the rest of the movie had that.

Even I thought the final fight was bad. The one with Shingen was better shot, better choreographed and more charged and showed Logan as his most brutal and badass. The shot of him pulling out a sword from his belly and walking off is awesome.

EDIT: Actually that is sort of the climax in the four issue Claremont Miller arc, it ends with the sword fight with Shingen.

^I wish the movie would have ended with that as well, its the best action scene in the movie, and i'm sure they could have juggled things around to make it the end fight in some way, shame, but I am glad we got the other action scene's as they were all great.

I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. I felt the movie was half-great, and half lost.

Hugh Jackman definitely made it worth it though, his performance was excellent. He brought a kind of aggressiveness and flare to the role which really impressed, seeing as how he can invigorate this character despite having played him for 10 years. The final half though just didn't do it for me, mostly with the plot and writing.

My thoughts are all in this short review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz6D0JM5ebg

Nice review Tody.

^I wish the movie would have ended with that as well, its the best action scene in the movie, and i'm sure they could have juggled things around to make it the end fight in some way, shame, but I am glad we got the other action scene's as they were all great.
Even the production seems to think it is the best scene from the film. They released 20 posters from that scene alone!

reading all the positive review here makes me so excited to see it when it comes out here in Japan on September 13th

i'm curious to watch TAO's performance since here in Japan, she is only known as fashion model and commercial model with no real acting experience in any movie or TV Show..

I can't wait to watch it now..and let's see whether "The Wolverine" can top Iron Man 3 or not...(I don't know, because after i've seen the local commercials , thrilled to hear lots of Japanese dialogue, i've already got the emotional feeling attached to it ^^)...

Last edited:
ah FYI,

here, the title will be : "WOLVERINE: SAMURAI", instead of just "The Wolverine" :)

"The Wolverine", "Pacific Rim", "47 Ronin"
this year, there are 3 American movies that used and respect Japan's cultural aspect...
So happy :D

20 posters?
Yes! I had collected them in a post sometime ago.
Here they are. They are all very same look as many of this pictures seem taken mili seconds apart.

BQwaKyUCUAAXOP0.png

BQG8VqaCQAA3zQZ.jpg

BQMhY1CCIAEurhg.jpg

BQ7FMySCcAEL5PI.jpg

BQu77O6CcAA2WxK.png

BQSDYFvCEAE0HpN.png

BQNqMyDCMAEiL2i.png

BPW4KiRCEAAfDnI.jpg

BPTxCQtCUAAXCH9.jpg

BO1ogaWCEAIraOu.png

reading all the positive review here makes me so excited to see it when it comes out here in Japan on September 13th

i'm curious to watch TAO's performance since here in Japan, she is only known as fashion model and commercial model with no real acting experience in any movie or TV Show..

I can't wait to watch it now..and let's see whether "The Wolverine" can top Iron Man 3 or not...(I don't know, because after i've seen the local commercials , thrilled to hear lots of Japanese dialogue, i've already got the emotional feeling attached to it ^^)...
I lover Tao Okamoto's performance. She is a great beauty I think but she gave a lovely understated performance. And I daresay it is an extremely substantial role, she's the second lead of the film after Jackman. It isn't a token Japanese role, she seriously has a lot of footage, a lot to do and a dramatic arc. Even Rila Fukushima performed very well in a substantial supporting role. These ladies are billed second and third respectively which is a big deal I think.

And they do speak a lot of Japanese. Most of the scenes of Japanese people talking to each other are in Japanese.

Hope you enjoy the film.

I also thought Hiroyuki Sanada, who plays Tao Okamoto's father, was very good.http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0760796/

I was sold. Liked her performance. I had no idea that she's not an experienced actor, never crossed my mind. They developed her character enough too. She came through as a real, likable person and the romance between her and Wolverine made actual sense to me. You'll see.

Also, Rila Fukushima was very good. She stole half of the scenes she was in. Where do you find those women? If I was a japanese schoolboy, I'd go insane.

Hiroyuki Sanada deserves a nod too. He's got that certain authority and presence that's hard to miss.

Hey, I have a question for you. Isn't it true that in Japan, one's last name is said first, then the first name?

Also, Rila Fukushima was very good. She stole half of the scenes she was in. Where do you find those women? If I was a japanese schoolboy, I'd go insane.

Rila was definitely one of the highlights of the movie.Kinda funny when you look back just a few months ago, when they first released the images, most of the reaction from fanboys were pretty much negative...they didn't like the way she looks and were sure the movie gonna suck because of it. Now, almost everybody is praising her!

...Funny how things turns out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"