Let's Watch Spider-Man 3 Again and Find Positive Things To Say About It

My favourite Harry moment in the entire franchise happens in this movie.

Waitress: How was your pie?
Harry: So good.

Seriously though. That moment was played with delicious subtly by Franco. A lot of Harry's scenes suffer by having him be a bit of a whiner, but that moment was just killer, and I believed in him as a devious criminal mind. Too bad the rest of the film wasn't like that.

But this is a positive thread so I'll stop there.

I love the scene when Peter and Eddie are competing with each other for the new staff job in the Daily Bugle. Jameson always cracks me up in the Raimi films.

Let it never be said that JK Simmons wasn't fun to watch.

Thomas Haden Church was fantastic.

The problem with this movie isn't any particular scene. It's that they're all in the wrong order.

Instead of Peter immediately going after Sandman, that should've happened toward the end. The dancing bit should've happened first.

The individual scenes are all solid (mostly). But the progression from a character standpoint is all backward and wrong.

And cutting Sandman's scenes with his daughter- mistake. I can't say enough how good THC was in that role.

Positive things I have to say about Spider-Man 3:

1. Oddly enough, my favorite part of the entire movie was Peter's talk with Aunt May about marriage. Whenever I watch Rosemary Harris talk about how Uncle Ben proposed to her, I can't help but smile. It was a very real and sweet moment in a big Hollywood blockbuster, in my opinion.

2. I was satisfied with all of the fight scenes, especially the subway fight with Sandman and the mansion fight with Harry.

3. The birth of Sandman, and just the special effects with Sandman in general. 'Nuff said.

4. Spider-Man 3 is definitely not without its flaws, but even with all of its bloatedness, each character and story had a beginning, middle, and conclusion. I can tell Raimi made sure that all of the loose ends were tied up. Sure, I wish I had seen MORE of these characters, but I am glad that his Spider-Man movies didn't end with a cliffhanger, at the very least.

5. Bryce Dallas Howard was adorable as Gwen Stacy, with the very little she had to do.

The marriage speech with May and Peter was such a disappointing moment for me, imo, as it was just something to bring up Uncle Ben again.

The marriage speech with May and Peter was such a disappointing moment for me, imo, as it was just something to bring up Uncle Ben again.

I can see where you're coming from, but I find that it's important for Uncle Ben to be mentioned, personally. His demise was the reason why Spider-Man became Spider-Man, after all.

I also find that moment to be important in Spider-Man 3, since a good portion of the story centers on Sandman's background story and the theme of revenge and forgiveness.

I just find stuff like that to just push a focus into something, such as May bringing up Ben who becomes a point later on in the film. The same feeling I have when Batman asks Gordon in TDKR where Miranda is when Bruce just saw her earlier; it's like a line that's forced in just to make this Miranda character seem like a focal point for the final act. Not really into those things.

It was an actually really GOOD film. Not great mind you. And certainly not perfect. But it was a well made film, with good performances all around, and a great idea. There are problems, sure, but the only thing I find ridiculous about the dance is that there is no music for him to dance to and he's just a goin' like the music's in his head and nowhere else.

I love the scene when Peter and Eddie are competing with each other for the new staff job in the Daily Bugle. Jameson always cracks me up in the Raimi films.

I chuckle everytime at the moment where Eddie says he can't wait to work with one of the "greatest newspaper editors of our time:J. Jonah Jameson." The look on Peter's face is priceless! It's this look of,"I can't believe Jameson's buying this bull*****!!" lol

I enjoy the Raimi quirkiness of it all. I feel that since he wasn't entirely confident or happy with the direction of the film he probably felt free reign to go all out zany. I thought it had balls to do some of its comedic scenes most people hate. It really depends on the day of the week for me regarding how I view SM3. Sometimes I cringe at it. Sometimes I laugh, smile and think "Why do people hate this?" It's a strange movie in that regard.

I enjoy the Raimi quirkiness of it all. I feel that since he wasn't entirely confident or happy with the direction of the film he probably felt free reign to go all out zany. I thought it had balls to do some of its comedic scenes most people hate. It really depends on the day of the week for me regarding how I view SM3. Sometimes I cringe at it. Sometimes I laugh, smile and think "Why do people hate this?" It's a strange movie in that regard.

I got this feeling immediately after watching SM3 for the first time- knowing how the symbiote storyline was pretty much forced upon him, I get the feeling he felt so backed into a corner that he didn't want to be in that he just said "screw it" and made a ton of choices that reflected some of his bizarre, off the wall sensibilities.

I really would have hated to be in Raimi's shoes with a creep like Arad breathing down the back of your neck, forcing you to change your creative vision.

But yeah, your post is spot on. Some days I can watch SM3 and enjoy it for exactly what it is and some days I find myself hating it for all the squandered potential.

The initial Goblin Harry-Peter fight early in the film is great. It does have some WTF moments (finding the ring?? REALLY??) but it was very nice to see Spider-Man movements and action AS Peter Parker. I thought that was one of the best decisions they made.

And yeah, the birth of Sandman.

The birth of Sandman...fantastic. The score fit perfectly!

The look of Sandman. THC looked like he was cutout of the comics. Perfect.

I still watch the births of Sandman and Venom on YouTube to this day.

I have a big problem with Venom's birth. He knows Parker is up there in the roof, what happens next? . They just cut to something else. Doesn't make any sense.

The scene is aggravating for sure.

I'm just solely talking about the symbiote falling on Eddie and then when he becomes Venom. Anything before or after goes back to my many complaints of the film itself, lol.

Ah yes. The scene itself is actually pretty good. It reminded me a lot to the Spider-Man Animated Series version of the '90s.

One of my favorite scenes from this movie:

[YT]thOJaXwBQ_8[/YT]

I have a big problem with Venom's birth. He knows Parker is up there in the roof, what happens next? . They just cut to something else. Doesn't make any sense.

It makes perfect sense. He just acquired the symbiote. He has to first understand what it is and what it's doing to him. He couldn't simply go into attack mode. Even when Peter first joined with it (In the movie) it's made clear that there's some passage of time before Peter is even conscious to what's going on. Then he has to test it. I posted a link to some unused CG test footage of Venom trying out his powers which would've been nice to see on screen.

I really love the score of the film. The black suit and Venom themes are wonderful. My only complaint is that I wish they used more of Elfman's epic Spidey music from the first 2. In those scenes where Spidey swings in to save Gwen Stacy and fight Venom/Sandman the theme is there,but it's not as grand as it was before.

Birth of Sandman and Venom
Action Sequences
Deterioration of Peter and MJ relationship

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"