Live action Hercules in the works at Disney

I’m so excited for this already! Especially if Gore Verbinski is one of the rumored directors.

Figured this one would be next. Sure, why not.

After seeing that sing along they did I think I would like Grande for Meg, especially if they follow the formula like they did with Lion King and recruit a pop star lol

I just know Amber Riley better be cast as one of the muses.

And the 90s kid in me wouldn’t be upset if Kevin Sorbo and Lucy Lawless were cast as Zeus and Hera.

Last edited:
The original is one of my favorite Disney animated movies (it may even be THE favorite), but I honestly have no idea about how they could build on that in order to justify a live-action remake.

I actually feel there’s a lot they can do. This isn’t beloved like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin or Lion King. The songs aren’t memorable, other than Go the Distance. They can really lean into the fantasy elements and do something completely unique here. Basically the opposite of The Rock version from a few years back.

I really want DeVito to play Phil again so we can have a horrifying CGI Frank Reynolds satyr.

I actually feel there’s a lot they can do. This isn’t beloved like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin or Lion King. The songs aren’t memorable, other than Go the Distance. They can really lean into the fantasy elements and do something completely unique here. Basically the opposite of The Rock version from a few years back.
I agree. Kinda looking forward to this one, actually. I hope Favreau doesn't get it though and I would like to see the Russo brothers tackle this.

Agree on them improving on the original animated film. Despite enjoying it when I was younger, it’s not perfect. There’s a Lindsay Ellis video essay which better articulates a lot of the issues with it better than I could.

These are kinds of Disney properties they should be adapting into live action; the animated films that have a lot of great potential ideas that, despite the undeniable entertainment value latched onto by a large cult following, just didn’t achieve greatness due to not-so-great execution (i.e— Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Still waiting on that Disney+ limited series remake. Would work better in longer form storytelling to better develop and explore the large cast of characters and the world of Atlantis itself).

Disagree on the songs not being memorable, though. Zero to Hero, I Won’t Say I’m In Love, etc. Maybe not memorable to you, but definitely to plenty of other people.

And the 90s kid in me wouldn’t be upset if Kevin Sorbo and Lucy Lawless were cast as Zeus and Hera.

Don’t count on Sorbo. The man’s pretty cuckoo and racist nowadays.

Also, not that great of an actor.

This will probably be more like Aladdin (changing up some story elements of the original just enough while still keeping most of the songs) than Mulan (removing all songs and most characters entirely).

I agree. Kinda looking forward to this one, actually. I hope Favreau doesn't get it though and I would like to see the Russo brothers tackle this.

The only reason I wouldn’t want to see them do it is that, unless I see a future film from them that doesn’t have it, their aesthetic is pretty much just boring office spaces and grey concrete, and Hercules needs to be a colorful film.

Tonally and filmography wise, Favreau and Verbinski fit much better. Just look at the Iron Man and the Pirates films, especially the latter, which strike a good balance of large, mythical scale, swashbuckling set pieces and good camraderie between characters. I can totally picture that translating to a live action Hercules film.

The only clincher is who they get to write it. That’s gonna make or break it. Verbinksi is pretty hit or miss when it comes to that.

Disney doing something unique? Yeah, I'm convinced that will happen. :o

Completely forgot the Rock did a Hercules movie!
Come on then - who are your director & main star picks?

I could see Arnett or even Ryan Reynolds as Hades, but I fear if they do Reynolds much of the focus of the story will be on him.

Considering how I think that the original is perfect, and how it's actually one of my favorite animated Disney movies ( and I repeat: it might actually be my favorite one), I don't agree. And I've always prefered the gospel-style songs to the "classic Disney" ones in the movie. So, whether it's less beloved or not, I just don't think they will be able to improve upon the animated movie (and its particular brand of animated comedy, which makes it far more unique and specific than other Disney entries).

And aside from "Dumbo," which I enjoyed because it struck its own path with the material (and before anyone says I'm biased because it's directed by Tim Burton - I didn't like "Alice in Wonderland"), I haven't really been impressed with any of the recent live-action remakes of the animated Disney classics. Not as remakes, and not as movies which stand on their own feet.

I don't see the point, aside from the (commercially successful) nostalgia trip.

Last edited:
fzSa.gif

Please keep the Rock away from this.
I know his name was not even mentioned and he already played the character on screen.
I have nothing against him either.
He's likable enough and has the charisma for the role but, I for one feel a bit overkill & way over exposed to the Rock lately.
I wouldn't even mind John Cena to start with as Hercules.

John Cena would be completely wrong for this. This is supposed to be a young, innocent Hercules. The boy next door who happens to be a god.

John Cena would be completely wrong for this. This is supposed to be a young, innocent Hercules. The boy next door who happens to be a god.

Ok, I accept that, but then you would agree to keep the Rock away from this as well,right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"