Loki Season Finale Theory Thread

It’s possible that what appeared to be a noble sacrifice on the part of Classic Loki was actually him clearing the way for our Loki to take his place as ruler of the timeline. Maybe he figured out that it was a version of Loki that is behind everything but if no Loki was ever able to pass beyond the void, then everything would be undone. The citadel exists outside of time so it doesn’t matter when a Loki enters it and takes the throne. But if it never happens then everything we’ve seen would cease to exist. Perhaps Classic Loki realized that this was his one shot to ensure that the universe stays intact (or a Loki’s once chance to grasp immeasurable power). But if so, then everything would hinge on one of our two Loki variants taking over the citadel. If they do, then that means a lot of pain, suffering and death will need to occur at their own hands to ensure that the timeline remains intact. But refusing to take up this throne would mean that reality would be warped beyond recognition. If so, it would be interesting to see Loki and Sophie grapple with that kind of a choice.

Not sure if any of that made sense, lol.

What if Classic Loki didn't make a sacrifice at all? Since he is the master of illusion and could conjure up a vision of Asgard, perhaps he also made it seem as if he had been killed while giving his life. But we know that Hiddleston Loki has used that trick before. Perhaps Classic Loki is actually the main villain behind everything and needed Loki and Sylvie to enchant the Alioth.

My wild card theory is a variant Dr. Strange is behind the TVA and the Void. I just can't see someone like Kang living and operating out of some Tim Burtoneque mansion beyond the edge of space and time. I would expect Kang to have a fortress, castle, or space fleet.

My other theory is the mansion is the House of Ideas, and Eternity and Infinity are there, and maybe the Living Tribunal.

Last edited:
There have now been multiple teases of Kang but that likely wouldn't be narratively satisfying, so I expect the TVA will be run by another Loki variant.

But I could see Kang either showing up in the post credit sequence or at least being mentioned. This isn't like the Mephisto thing where people took a throwaway line of dialogue referencing the devil and blew it way out of proportion. There are way too many little easter eggs and connections pointing to him.

The LOKI series is not just about him, but the idea of Loki. "All I seek is a deeper understanding of the fearsome God of Mischief. What makes a Loki tick?"- Mobius.

I suppose it's true "no one good is ever truly good," "no one bad is ever truly bad.". So what makes someone a Loki? Sylvie asked. The series presents us with versions of Loki so that we question our idea of what makes a Loki .Loki is faced with 3 versions of himself. The woman scorned. The failures. The king. Aware of all he could be, both Loki and viewers get to discover who he is.

Loki is the ultimate villain and possibly hero.

Loki variants caused the war of the timelines. Countless variants determined to be king of their own.Until the end of time fighting to rule over nothing. The last loki standing is the loki controlling the timeline to prevent the rest of them from sending the universe into chaos. Instead of killing countless versions of himself he chose to send them to the void.

The first and most oppressive lie ever uttered was the song of freedom. – Loki / How's that one go? – Agent Mobius / For nearly every living thing, choice breeds shame and uncertainly and regret. There's a fork in every road, yet the wrong path is always taken. – Loki ep.1

Loki and Sylvie are both heroes and villains. They are no different than the rest of the loki fated to create chaos even if unintentional. Loki and Sylvie will have a choice to join the last loki and continue the tva, kill him or choose opposite sides. This can lead to an inevitable betrayal for either side. In the end Loki is the ultimate God of mischief. Fated to be alone always. Truly burdened with glorious purpose.

Yeah I don’t think Kang is the final villain here but I do think the show will end with some mention of him or possibly featuring him briefly. Because they’ve dropped enough references that they are definitely planting the seeds for him. But since they haven’t mentioned him by name at all I think whoever is in that citadel isn’t Kang.

If this show ends up getting a season 2 I think the episode will feature them going to that Oz only to just miss the Wizard again. Then season 2 will show them chasing down Kang following the events of AM:3. If it doesn't get a season 2 then we'll find the Wizard. Either way they'll break the sacred timeline though and release the multiverse.

If it's not Kang's HQ, then I could see a strong case for The Watchers HQ to be the Oz located at the end of time.

Last edited:
The more I think about the last episode and the show as a whole, King Loki is starting to look more and more like the likely villain of the show. What really hit the nail on the head was this quote….

You think I'm the Loki that was? Dolt! Simpleton! I am what will be! I am the destiny you run from -- but will never escape! Because nobody else wants you to! I am King Loki! I am your future! I am you!”

Now, one wonders if this will be a variant Loki or a future version of the Loki we see. If it’s a variant, I see him being the version that still got picked up by the TVA after the space stone incident, but he never met Slyvie which helped him see that he has the potential of changing. I hope to goodness this isn’t the case, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Disney goes this route.

*still holding out hope for Kang*

We're basically seeing eye to eye. I see this series as the beginning of the Multiverse Saga. The next Spider-Man and Dr. Strange movies will dealing directly with the repercussions on this show and the Ant-Man and Wasp will reveal that Kang was behind the TVA, using them to ensure a future in which he ruled the world/galaxy.
Quatummania isn't going to do that.
Such an ending would require people who have not watched Loki to go back and find out what the TVA is.
Marvel doesn't deliberately connect The TV & Films together so that you have to watch all of it.

Quatummania isn't going to do that.
Such an ending would require people who have not watched Loki to go back and find out what the TVA is.
Marvel doesn't deliberately connect The TV & Films together so that you have to watch all of it.

Not to be a dick but...

The post credit from Black Widow says hi.

:o

And let's be honest if you didn't bother with WandaVision then Ms. Maximoff's state during her appearance in Multiverse Of Madness is going to beg a lot of questions if you last saw her in the final reel of Endgame.

Not to be a dick but...

And let's be honest if you didn't bother with WandaVision then Ms. Maximoff's state during her appearance in Multiverse Of Madness is going to beg a lot of questions if you last saw her in the final reel of Endgame.
Odds are that the post credit scene from Quantumania will be connected to GOTG Volume 3.

Not to be a dick but...

I haven't watched Black Widow yet (so no spoilers please) but the general feeling I've gotten so far is that the shows often absolutely require the movies, but the movies won't need you to have seen the shows to understand them (even though having watched the shows can give more context or make character development more obvious). Since Black Widow was supposed to come out before any D+ shows I don't think it can disprove that idea (as everything in it would have been assumed to be watched without knowledge from the D+ shows). That doesn't mean that something introduced on D+ can't show up in the movies though, just that the movie also has to at least provide enough context on its own. So in the case of the TVA being in Quantumania that's possible as long as they sufficiently explain what the TVA is in Quantumania itself. Then Kang/Immortus could be involved with it. But they won't wrap up the "who is behind the TVA?" plot in Quantumania because that wouldn't make any sense if you've not watched Loki + that would leave the central question from Loki unanswered within the Loki show and create a cliffhanger for the next 19 months until Quantumania.

I haven't watched Black Widow yet (so no spoilers please) but the general feeling I've gotten so far is that the shows often absolutely require the movies, but the movies won't need you to have seen the shows to understand them (even though having watched the shows can give more context or make character development more obvious). Since Black Widow was supposed to come out before any D+ shows I don't think it can disprove that idea (as everything in it would have been assumed to be watched without knowledge from the D+ shows). That doesn't mean that something introduced on D+ can't show up in the movies though, just that the movie also has to at least provide enough context on its own. So in the case of the TVA being in Quantumania that's possible as long as they sufficiently explain what the TVA is in Quantumania itself. Then Kang/Immortus could be involved with it. But they won't wrap up the "who is behind the TVA?" plot in Quantumania because that wouldn't make any sense if you've not watched Loki + that would leave the central question from Loki unanswered within the Loki show and create a cliffhanger for the next 19 months until Quantumania.
This is the initial point that I wanted to make.
You expressed it much better than I could.
Thank You.

This is the initial point that I wanted to make.
You expressed it much better than I could.
Thank You.

I get what you and Strangefolk are saying, and with AoS and the Netflix shows this was 100% true. In Loki's case, EG left a blatant and intentional plothole with the Tesseract for this show to answer. That's the example of the movies continuing to feed down. However the show did start off by recapping that. The first test of the shows feeding up seems like it will be either the TVA in MoM or Monica Rambeau in CM2. While Monica's character was in CM as a child she didn't develop powers until WandaVision. I doubt they'll do a full recap of how Monica got her powers, just like I doubt they'll do a full recap of the TVA. 19 months is a long time but who knows maybe MoM will help the build and Loki will be the explanation for why there's a Loki in the Multiverse in DrS2.

I get what you and Strangefolk are saying, and with AoS and the Netflix shows this was 100% true. In Loki's case, EG left a blatant and intentional plothole with the Tesseract for this show to answer. That's the example of the movies continuing to feed down. However the show did start off by recapping that. The first test of the shows feeding up seems like it will be either the TVA in MoM or Monica Rambeau in CM2. While Monica's character was in CM as a child she didn't develop powers until WandaVision. I doubt they'll do a full recap of how Monica got her powers, just like I doubt they'll do a full recap of the TVA. 19 months is a long time but who knows maybe MoM will help the build and Loki will be the explanation for why there's a Loki in the Multiverse in DrS2.
They might not give Monica a full recap, but I still don't see that as The Marvels requiring a viewing of WandaVision the same way they were able to introduce the Maximoffs in Ultron or merge Hulk with Banner (between Infinity War and Endgame) with a simple verbal explanation that didn't require a tv show to show what happened.

They might not give Monica a full recap, but I still don't see that as The Marvels requiring a viewing of WandaVision the same way they were able to introduce the Maximoffs in Ultron or merge Hulk with Banner (between Infinity War and Endgame) with a simple verbal explanation that didn't require a tv show to show what happened.

Lets say you don't need to but it helps. The same way you don't need to see Age of Ultron to enjoy Civil War but it helps.

i made this analogy months ago but disney+ so far reminds me of the "asterisk/editor's notes" in a comic book.

like let's say it's an x-men comic and then spiderman shows up in his black costume for the first time in it. cyclops would say "new outfit?" and there'll be an asterisk...then lower in the comic panel it would say "read secret wars #7".

i think disney+ behaves in the same way. they are side stories that could be viewed but not required for the major stories (movies). but maybe that changes with time.

If I’ve learned anything from finales of WV and Falcon, it will be disappointing.

I highly doubt there will be a reference to the multiverse to set up Spider-Man or DS2. Or Kang. They’ve been keeping these series self contained and not introducing new villains or concepts at the last minute to keep focus on the hero’s journey.

To defend the finales of the other two shows, they were hampered by the global pandemic. That prevented a lot of things they likely had planned for the finales. I remember reading that the finales to both shows were shot during the Pandemic late last year.

I would assume that in the weeks ahead, we'll find out what parts of the finale were scrapped due to the Pandemic.

Lets say you don't need to but it helps. The same way you don't need to see Age of Ultron to enjoy Civil War but it helps.

Which has been the MCU this entire time. Each product stands on its own, but is best appreciated with all the pieces.

I do get the circumstances for the previous shows. But, I also agree that my expectations are to be disappointed with the final episode. Wandavision didn't have the strongest ending and I don't really think Falcon did much better.

But, can always hope for a positive surprise. My guess going into the last episode is that we get another Loki variant. Kang is too big a deal for the finale of this. They held off on big deal villains for both of those other shows and I think the same will be the case here. Maybe at most it is someone working for Kang or whatever. But I think his first legit appearance will be in the Ant-Man movie.

The title of the show is Loki after all. So having Loki be both the villain and hero is entirely plausible.

One theory I do like the idea of is that the Sacred Timeline exists not because Kang is behind it, but in order to prevent the coming of Kang. That all the terrible acts of erasing variants and kidnapping them to staff that organization was all necessary to avoid a coming cataclysm. It is a solid way to make all the Kang references fit without him actually appearing in the show itself.

Again though, I still expect something simple and maybe a bit of a letdown. But there are chances to do something cool if they really want to.

Last edited:
Which has been the MCU this entire time. Each product stands on its own, but is best appreciated with all the pieces.

Agreed and I think djsunyc has the best analogy to the comics and how they handle it.

If the entire show is about Loki and coming to terms with himself through a variety of variants, then the villain being a Loki makes sense—to some extent. However, given Alioth being introduced in the latest episode, Kang not being introduced seems like a really missed opportunity. And Kang isn’t comparable to Mephisto. We already know he’s appearing in the MCU.

Glad to see Kang showed up!

Not to be a dick but...

Incidentally, (Black Widow spoilers)
that Black Widow post credits scene was supposed to be the first appearance of Valentina in the MCU. It was just circumstantial that TFATWS ended up being released first due to COVID.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"