Lounge of Justice - Part 90

Cyborg honestly is the only good thing I still think about ZSJL. Ray was great in the part.

Anymore ZSJL disrespect from you and I'll see it that you end up selling used panties in fleamarkets, booth next to that 'Mambo No.5 guy'. You got it?

zack-snyder-drink-zacksnyder.gif

Anymore ZSJL disrespect from you and I'll see it that you end up selling used panties in fleamarkets, booth next to that 'Mambo No.5 guy'. You got it?

zack-snyder-drink-zacksnyder.gif

I bet Lou Bega has more money than we do ;)

But beyond that:

1308277174001.gif

I swear by the good name of Drunk Martha that I will speak the truth and no one shall silence me! :o:o:o:ali:

...But ZSJL Superman is definitely nothing more than a plot device and how any Superman fan can be pleased with what Snyder did in this, is beyond me...

I’ll give my answer to your question.

I found it interesting that Superman’s extended/strategic absence from ZSJL actually seemed to enhance his status as both an idealization and apex superhero. Had Supes been around from the start, he would (obviously) have gotten more screentime. But I suspect he’d also be more “homogenous” — just one champion within a group of similar champions.

Back when I read comics (back in the Paleolithic era), it seemed to me that Superman often got short shrift when he was part of various team-up stories. Understandable, I suppose, in purely narrative terms. The nature of an ensemble means that members of the team are co-equals, and not supporting characters to a central protagonist. Consequently, Supes (by one pretext or another) was often devalued, depowered, demoted or deemphasised — so as to give the other characters a chance to shine and demonstrate their value. Good for those other characters; but not as engaging for the Superman fan.

I do think that Supes in the JL is a bit of conundrum (or, at least, a challenge). According to the in-universe logic, someone as powerful as Superman should always be a pivotal figure and dominate most of the action. But that would negate the point of the team, the ensemble. The solution that ZSJL opted for was to withhold Superman for much of the story and then “play the ace” at the opportune moment. In this way, both Supes’ legendary status and the in-universe logic are preserved. The downside is limited screentime. And yet, as a Superman fan, I found this “compromise” to be (surprisingly) satisfying.

I do think that Supes in the JL is a bit of conundrum (or, at least, a challenge). According to the in-universe logic, someone as powerful as Superman should always be a pivotal figure and dominate most of the action. But that would negate the point of the team, the ensemble. The solution that ZSJL opted for was to withhold Superman for much of the story and then “play the ace” at the opportune moment. In this way, both Supes’ legendary status and the in-universe logic are preserved. The downside is limited screentime. And yet, as a Superman fan, I found this “compromise” to be (surprisingly) satisfying.

I might go along with this but the movie also features Wonder Woman who is every bit as powerful as Superman in this universe.

i found this scene hilarious how they both kept head-butting each other.
when ww headbutts superman, the look on cavill's face is that he's just slightly annoyed by it :funny:
like someone accidentally kicked a ball at his head in the playground.

The farther away I get from it the more I realize ZSJL is not actually epic...it is surface level epic wannabe stuff without any of the meat that actually makes an epic film. Zack is all flash and no substance and ZSJL is 100% the apex of this. It is sort of like the first time you try and make a great meal...you have all of the ingredients and put in the effort to make the dish but since you spent no time actually planning how to make it, never had any real build up so all the flavors match and complement each other, and have no real idea what you are making outside of the basic ingredients it just turns out to be ok. Not bad, not great, just sort of there. Zack gets the visuals, but he has no friggin clue about why the characters matter, why their motivations matter or how to take all of these stories and meld them together into something truly epic. Its just a hodge podge of cool moving pictures that barely scratches the surface of the depths needed to tell the story the right way.

The so called conclusion of his Superman story has almost no Superman...I mean come on!

Look I maintain my love of Zack because he is basically one of us trying to satisfy his crew. He knows that there are iconic things in the DC Universe and he wants us to see them on film. That is cool and all, and I enjoy the heck out of it at points, but you need more if you want the audience to connect with it. And while critics and fans were kind to him because they felt he got screwed, the truth is ZSJL is everything most people hate about his films. I mean for pete's sake he uses the Black Suit and it is 100% obvious he has zero clue what that suit means. He saw a picture of it, thought it looked cool and went with it. Same with Doomsday, Death of Superman, Darkseid, TDKR Batman Suit...the list goes on and on. He basically makes films like a mediocre comic event series...about halfway through you aren't even sure what you are looking at anymore and kind of hope it just ends. (the added scene with Letoker and Batman is everything wrong with his film style) Snyder is basically just Michael Bay only he makes his films look a bit better...though honestly I think Bay tells a better story with his film making which is friggin sad. (I can list quite a few Bay films better than this)

The first time I watched I gave it a solid 8.5...every time I try and watch scenes now it drops fast. I can't even fathom sitting through the whole thing again (even high or drunk...though I may try) and what I have watched rates around a 6. Easily the worst of the 3 films in the arc. At least MOS and BvS were trying to tell a connected story...this is just "so I killed superman not I get to play with the character I really like BATMAN!" It is overly indulgent, ridiculously dark and anti-heroic much of the time, and is a fundamental misunderstanding of the Justice League as whole. He is now where he belongs, making B movie shlock for Netflix.

(if you read my signature you will understand this is a rather new development in my feelings on Snyder)
This is pretty much where I fall on the Snyder Cut as well. I do like the fact that it exists but this just isn’t the ideal Justice League film and writing/storytelling just isn’t there. Whedon can go **** himself, but aside from the final battle(which is vastly improved) and the Cyborg stuff I didn’t think the Snyder Cut was significant improvement over the theatrical. In fact, and this is a hot take, I do think theatrical cut had better writing/characterization overall. I still maintain that it was a major mistake by Zack to kill off Superman in BvS and let Batman be the one to form the Justice League. Not only are we robbed of a lot Superman screentime, but the first ever Justice League film should’ve had Superman develop bonds and relationships with the other league members. It’s still baffling to me that Superman doesn’t have a single interaction with any of the league members in the Snyder Cut. While I still think the Snyder cut is a better movie overall than Whedon’s cut it really feels like it’s damning it feint praise.

Which is why I don’t care about seeing the Snyder-Verse restored and I’m glad their moving on. I want a Justice League movie with a new creative team at the helm. I will always like BvS and MOS, but Snyder isn’t the best person to tell these stories and the Snyder Cut very firmly reinforced this belief. That being said, I’m happy that Zack got closure and now he seems to be going through a bit renaissance critically as his cut of JL and Army Of The Dead(which I thought was awful btw) both released in the same year with some of the best reviews of his career. So that’s good.

For the life of me, I can't grasp arguing for like 6 years that the DCEU's big advantage over Marvel is its willingness to entertain multiple tones and ratings, but then getting super angry whenever anyone makes a DC movie that's not exactly in the same tone or style as the ones I like.

I can totally understand not liking the newer crop of movies or not wanting to see them. Differing tastes and all. But some of these folks seem to absolutely despise the mere fact that more whimsical and comedic DC movies exist at all, despite the source material having a huge number of stories in that vein (just like it also has darker and more serious ones as well).

For the life of me, I can't grasp arguing for like 6 years that the DCEU's big advantage over Marvel is its willingness to entertain multiple tones and ratings, but then getting super angry whenever anyone makes a DC movie that's not exactly in the same tone or style as the ones I like.

I can totally understand not liking the newer crop of movies or not wanting to see them. Differing tastes and all. But some of these folks seem to absolutely despise the mere fact that more whimsical and comedic DC movies exist at all, despite the source material having a huge number of stories in that vein (just like it also has darker and more serious ones as well).

they only want dc films from snyder.
if not, then waaaaah waaaaah.

Take away all logic and reason...then you will fathom it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"