Lucas: "I Don't Want To Make Movies Anymore"

SoulManX

The Inspector!
Reaction score
Director George Lucas wants to quit filmmaking to concentrate on more lucrative TV projects. The Star Wars creator says making movies is too risky nowadays, because the average cost of shooting and marketing a blockbuster is now $200 million, so he's steering his production company Lucasfilm towards TV and low-budget movies. Lucas also believes internet downloading is set to shake up the film industry, reports Empire magazine. He reveals, "We don't want to make movies, we're getting into television. The feature film thing is too expensive and it's too risky. For that same $200 million I can make 50 to 60 two-hour movies." He adds, "I don't think anyone's going to be in the (movie-going habit) anymore. Everything is going to be a matter of choice. I think that's going to be a huge revolution in the medium." However, Lucas isn't giving up his film career just yet - he's currently working on Red Tails, a low-budget film about America's first black military airmen, and the fourth Indiana Jones movie.

because everyone has been such a bastard to him latley, he can't take it anymore, the fans had finally made him snap...poor lucas

how old is harrison ford anyways?

I'm glad he's quitting cause I'm not interesting in seeing his garbage anymore. He is a BRILLIANT business man. I'll give him that. But, he ain't no filmmaker.

Now he can bastardize TV :up:

Not that I believe this, he will come back for Star Wars 7,8 and 9.

And before it happens

Lucas fan: "But Matt! My god has said he will never do a sequel trilogy!"

Yes, but he also said that he would never release anything but the special editions ever again, he also said that he would never make prequels, and so on...as long as the money is green enough, Lucas will do it.

Matt, I must admit....I've admire you from afar.

I think I'm in love with you. <3

Matt said:

And before it happens

Yes, but he also said that he would never release anything but the special editions ever again, he also said that he would never make prequels, and so on...as long as the money is green enough, Lucas will do it.

Matt caught feelings.

Matt said:

And before it happens

He also said there were never any plans to title Jedi "Revenge of the Jedi", which is proof that he's a compulsive liar, since there are people who have the early Revenge posters that were sent to theaters, and now it's just common knowledge. That's what's really sad, when they lie despite the fact that they have nothing to gain from the lie and there's no way they can't get caught in it. :huh:

He also said that Return of the Jedi was the last movie and that there would be no more.

He also said Hayden was a great Anakin, he also said the world was flat, he also said that Hitler was alive, he also said he saw Elvis, he also said Oswald killed Kennedy, he also said Wilhelm and Matt got over it.

heh, sorry, It's just that when I locate and buy an old vintage Starlog magazine from my youth and see him talking about how Return of the Jedi was entitled Return of the Jedi from the start and that there were never any plans to call it "Revenge" (especially in light of what I heard about how they wanted to call Star Trek 2 "Kahn's Revenge", but Lucas' people got them to change it to "Wrath" 'cause they were set to use "Revenge"), I find it amusing and pathetic. *shrug*

I have never posted in this thread, so I don't know why you're talking at me. :huh:

Darthphere said:
People lie. It happens.

Yeah but whats the point in a lie when about 10 million people KNOW its a lie??

Old chubby neck is losing the plot and to be honest I'm glad hes pulling away from movies.

But of ALL the people who COULD have moaned about the cost of making movies I'm surprised its him .... first of all did any of the prequels cost 200 million to make ? ....... and if they did what has been the return on them so far ?? .... what will be the return on them in 20 years time?

The Star Wars movies are and ALWAYS will be money making machines ... And only two out of six are actually any good!

George Lucas sees a future of cheap, money making, easy to market crap. He doesn't care about art...or the process of creating compelling human moments on film.

Incidentally, we just added ILM to our list of clients...specifically for their new TV department.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
He also said there were never any plans to title Jedi "Revenge of the Jedi", which is proof that he's a compulsive liar, since there are people who have the early Revenge posters that were sent to theaters, and now it's just common knowledge. That's what's really sad, when they lie despite the fact that they have nothing to gain from the lie and there's no way they can't get caught in it. :huh:

He also said that Return of the Jedi was the last movie and that there would be no more.

he also said, not too long ago, that there "never was a third trilogy", that there had never been any plans to make a third one, that it was only ever intended to tell Anakin's story when in fact, in 'Once Upon a Galaxy' by Alan Arnold he clearly states that "after the success of Star Wars I added a third trilogy." He also states on page 248 "the next film (this interview was while 'Empire' was filming) is called "Revenge of the Jedi".

Good ridance... the guys is best served producing... I hope he isn't the one in charge of the casting and directing of the SW TV shows though... the shows have some promise...

bluejake01 said:
He doesn't care about art...or the process of creating compelling human moments on film.
Those who know me know I'm always up for a "Lucas' brain has melted." conversation, but th^t's silly.

His lens has fogged up and he's lost touch with the hungry young artist he once was, and....apparently, as a result, morphed into a shockingly dumb writer...but he DOES care about producing quality art and depicting "compelling human moments"....he's just lost his chops, which, if you look back, is pretty common when Pop artists have unprecedented early success and then grow old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"