• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

M. Night Shyamalan's GLASS

I am definitely going to a matinee, but I always do.
I don't care about bad reviews.
Lots of great movies get bad reviews.

It would be nice if we got some Glass related shorts to fill in the gaps.

I am definitely going to a matinee, but I always do.
I don't care about bad reviews.
Lots of great movies get bad reviews.

Lots of bad movies get bad reviews too though. Still, I'm hoping I enjoy this one.

Well, Shyamalan is back. After two terrible movies (Airbender, After Earth) and a good but flawed one (Happening), it was good to see him sorta liked by american audiences and critics again, a nice start to redeption road, with split and the visit. But now, he is definitively back.

Hated by american critics but called brilliant, extraordinary and great by international ones (for now and this particular movie, more european than international, its soon still) it seems we are back to Lady in the Water days, in so many lists of best of the year around the world and deemed unwatchable by americans.

Now if the world likes a turd or his brilliance is going over americans head (no anti american feelings here, by the way. Plenty of movies that are adored by most of the world are hated in some particular country, its a common happenstance that can happen anywhere with any film) is up to you. Whatever you choose to believe, though, its fair to say that Night and america never truly clicked the same way he did with most of the planet. What that means to you regarding this movie will of course define your relationship to your expectations.

I wonder some times if wanting to be accepted in america the same way as he was around the globe could have been partially the reason for his temporary downfall. If, maybe, had he tried to make movies in countries like Germany, Spain or France, where he was considered a master, he would have had a better carrier, at least artistic wise. Or maybe not. Maybe he was going that path anyway. Maybe it could even had been worse. Who knows. But yet I wonder...

Still. Europe gushes and america botches.Welcome back, you old son of a gun!

LOL no way in hell is The Happening a good movie. That's not even a matter of opinion.
6aXAXHN.gif

This shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. M. Night is one of those directors who is to smart for his own good. He's one of those, "they don't understand what I was trying to do" types.

Oh well, moving on.....

Hoping that the RT score will start going up in the next week.

Hoping that the RT score will start going up in the next week.

In most of the cases the highest score peaks at the very beginning. Then it either stays there or goes lower.

Wait wait wait...The Happening being anywhere near good? No, that was horrendous. :funny:

Entertaining is more the correct word. M. Night, good or bad, has always made entertaining films. Except maybe The Last Airbender.

I sure do miss his collaborations with James Newton Howard though. Every one of their scores together was a winner.

Has anyone here seen it? Is Casey in the film much? Feel free to spoil if so.

Has anyone here seen it? Is Casey in the film much? Feel free to spoil if so.
Not to spoil anything, but I thought she was in it a fair amount. She, and Joseph play a substantial role in the story.

I enjoyed the film. It's going to be divisive (the reviews confirm this), but I liked that it wasn't a generic superhero film. The movie sticks to its guns for better or worse. It has flaws, but none of them detracted from my overall enjoyment. I'd rank the trilogy as:
1.Unbreakable (Obviously)
2. Glass
3. Split

Last edited:
Guess I won't see this. Then again, I wasn't into it because of Sarah Paulson's character.

I have lost all interest. After hearing the spoilers this film will only get my money as part of my Netflix subscription.

As an aside,Shyamalan has a big philosophy about agency and a benevolent universe which I think is interesting. However, I think a lot of his talk on this is fluff and a facade for a giant inflated ego. I will never forget his dumbass response to a journalist about Airbender when he said “if I thought like you I’d kill myself.” Rather than boast humility and grace over the failure if airbender, he answered a jackass question from a journalist by being a bigger jackass.

Entertaining is more the correct word. M. Night, good or bad, has always made entertaining films. Except maybe The Last Airbender.

I sure do miss his collaborations with James Newton Howard though. Every one of their scores together was a winner.
I very much agree with the bolded statement. As a film The Last Airbender may be terrible, but it's score is simply fantastic. It's too bad Howard didn't do Glass.

I’m incredibly intrigued by the split (punny I know) reaction to this. Especially as many reviewers I typically sync with have all said they’ve enjoyed the film, but understand why it’s decisive.

Regardless, it’ll get a view from me. Unbreakable wasn’t well reviewed when it came out, and it became a bit of a cult hit of sorts as the superhero genre rose back to prominence and people realized how subversive and unique it was to the genre. I’ll be interested to see if Glass does something similar.

Not to spoil anything, but I thought she was in it a fair amount. She, and Joseph play a substantial role in the story.

I enjoyed the film. It's going to be divisive (the reviews confirm this), but I liked that it wasn't a generic superhero film. The movie sticks to its guns for better or worse. It has flaws, but none of them detracted from my overall enjoyment. I'd rank the trilogy as:
1.Unbreakable (Obviously)
2. Glass
3. Split
Sounds like M Night was not trying to top Unbreakable.
That is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"