Mafia II

Giant Bomb review. (3/5)

Playing Mafia II gives you the feeling that the developers put more emphasis on telling a great mob story than designing a great video game, but had to split their attention too much to effectively do either one. That story would have probably been better served if the game had shed its superfluous open-world trappings and focused on quicker pacing and greater diversity in the mission design. There are a lot of great mob stories out there already, and this one needed more focus to stand out next to all the memorable tales that came before.

Giant Bomb review. (3/5)

Playing Mafia II gives you the feeling that the developers put more emphasis on telling a great mob story than designing a great video game, but had to split their attention too much to effectively do either one. That story would have probably been better served if the game had shed its superfluous open-world trappings and focused on quicker pacing and greater diversity in the mission design. There are a lot of great mob stories out there already, and this one needed more focus to stand out next to all the memorable tales that came before.

Its getting mixed reviews mostly positive though

My copy should be here by the end of the week. If anything I'll breeze right through the game, from what I've read and watched, it still seems like a solid game.

Playing it on Onlive now. It's pretty crazy. I just jacked some dude's car and thought I was being slick about it, only to see him yell at a police car that was at a stop light. :cmad:

Im debating buying it.

How long is the story? I dont wanna spend $60 bucks on a short story and no multiplayer or side missions

I'll get it eventually. The lack of side missions & multiplayer is disappointing, but it looks good.

I like the triggered scripted sequences, the opening levels of the game feel more like people living life's than cattle waiting to be killed off.

[YT]B1KNNPZC8nA[/YT]

How long is the story? I dont wanna spend $60 bucks on a short story and no multiplayer or side missions

It's more along of lines of adventure game with a sandbox backdrop than proper sandbox game. It's only really worth getting if you want a single player game with focused narrative.
From what I read on another forum the completion has ranged from 8-12 hours.

Last edited:
ya know...there was just too much cussing for my taste. I decided not to buy it. I don't mind some cussing...but the amount they had in their didn't feel natural. It was WAY over-done and actually pulled me out of the game. Had they included a language filter like Brutal Legend, I would have bought it for sure.

ya know...there was just too much cussing for my taste. I decided not to buy it. I don't mind some cussing...but the amount they had in their didn't feel natural. It was WAY over-done and actually pulled me out of the game. Had they included a language filter like Brutal Legend, I would have bought it for sure.

The game was rated M, ya know.

I know it's rated M. I'm fine with rated M.
But as a writer...I find that when another writer has to resort to using the F bomb more than what would be normal...it comes off very cheap and very unprofessional. It just strikes me as lazy writing. I find the fact they have to resort to such cheapness more insulting than the word itself.

But as a writer...I find that when another writer has to resort to using the F bomb more than what would be normal...it comes off very cheap and very unprofessional. It just strikes me as lazy writing. I find the fact they have to resort to such cheapness more insulting than the word itself.

The soprano's has a swear word near enough every half sentence. It's considered one of the best written television shows ever made.
I don't know about you, but the cast of Mafia II sound like a lot like real people talking to me more so than the majority of games out there.

I'm not sure how you assume mostly un-educated gangsters converse with one and another? but the odd f-word here and there is certainly not cheap writing. Any classic gangster film from the last 30 years probably has more curse words than this game has.

So I finally got this. I remember thinking this game was going to be so good, but even though I got it for about $25 I wish I waited even longer

The game isnt bad. It's just missing so many things that kinda come standard with games of it's type. No side missions, No blindfire (although enemies can do it), no ability to walk through the world even after story is done, and really there is no need for money...I mean to fix your car but you cant buy new cars, you cant buy property and thats basically it. Just stuff that really should be in an "open world" game of this generation.

The story was pretty good. There were some storylines that couldve been dropped like The whole Vito sister thing, the whole Vito father death thing. But overall it was a good story.

Then some small petty things. I wish they had a suit without a hat and not that many options of clothes.

Overall I had fun, but basically it just feels like its stuck between an extremely good Downloadable game and a bad Disc game

6.5/10

So I finally got this. I remember thinking this game was going to be so good, but even though I got it for about $25 I wish I waited even longer

The game isnt bad. It's just missing so many things that kinda come standard with games of it's type. No side missions, No blindfire (although enemies can do it), no ability to walk through the world even after story is done, and really there is no need for money...I mean to fix your car but you cant buy new cars, you cant buy property and thats basically it. Just stuff that really should be in an "open world" game of this generation.

The story was pretty good. There were some storylines that couldve been dropped like The whole Vito sister thing, the whole Vito father death thing. But overall it was a good story.

Then some small petty things. I wish they had a suit without a hat and not that many options of clothes.

Overall I had fun, but basically it just feels like its stuck between an extremely good Downloadable game and a bad Disc game

6.5/10

It wasnt designed to be a sandbox game tho. The city was the back drop, but it wasnt the feature like how it is in GTA.

I have a feeling thats whats going to turn a lot of ppl off of LA Noire. Its going to be set up in a similar way to Mafia II. The city isnt there for you to run around in.

I can understand the cussing complaints. The Godfather Part 1 and 2 barely have cuss words in them... unless I'm completely missing them (I own and watch them constantly) and they're two of the best written/acted mafia movies ever made.

I can understand uneducated mooks cussing like sailors... but I still think M rated games can go a bit over the top with it just because they got an M rating.

I always found it odd how the main point of most mainstream games encourage tiddlywinks to kill things like they are making a cup of tea, yet bad words makes people outwaged.

:whatever:

If someone plays a game they're not going to go out and kill people because they seen it in a game. However, kids (and lets be realistic, kids often play M rated games because most parents are ******s) WILL take up colorful language if a game has colorful language. It's not just games... but other media as well.

I'm not saying swearing should be banned... but sometimes swearing in games and even hit TV shows.... It can be overdone. I mean, even in the Socom MP beta the characters are yelling F this and that... really? That's needed in the MP aspect? We get enough of that over the chat...

Last edited:
. However, kids (and lets be realistic, kids often play M rated games because most parents are ******s) WILL take up colorful language if a game has colorful language

I've yet to come across a 13 year old who sounds like a 1950's Italian gangster. Iv' heard plenty about nut jobs who play video games going on a bang bang shoot em up. But not a 13 year old Sicilian gangster.

I've yet to come across a 13 year old who sounds like a 1950's Italian gangster. Iv' heard plenty about nut jobs who play video games going on a bang bang shoot em up. But not a 13 year old Sicilian gangster.

I haven't come across a 13 year old who sounds like a 1950's Italian Gangster either.

I HAVE come across a 13 year old who curses.

:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"