Mafia II

The fact the vast amount of video games actually have very little swearing.

I dunno what games your playing but the majority (now at least) do.

But I guess you're brain has been tainted by all that safe and friendly Shogun 2 :o

IS that all anyone can talk about with this game? THe cursing?
It wasnt any more than The Sopranos or even Goodfellas

come on I just finished the game I want to hear thoughts about the actual game not just the cursing:cmad::o:cmad:

I just ordered this on Amazon for $14.99. I figure that's a pretty good deal to pass up, even though I had no interest in this game before yesterday.

So the game was just delivered to me and I didn't realize it was the Greatest Hits version that comes with all of the DLC already installed. I looked it up on PSN and most of the DLC was $9.99, so that's about an extra $30-40 bucks saved. Not bad for a $14.99 game that just came out 6-7 months ago.

Greatest Hits? Been looking for the Director's Cut, but can't find it. Maybe it's just the Greatest Hits version?

Greatest Hits? Been looking for the Director's Cut, but can't find it. Maybe it's just the Greatest Hits version?
I don't know if I lucked out or something, but I was looking at the Greatest Hits section for the PS3 on Amazon one day and I saw this on sale for $14.99, so I looked into it, read some reviews and decided to buy it. When I got it, it came in the GH red case, but also says on the front picture "3 Additional Story Packs/ 4 Style Packs". When I installed it it had all the DLC unlocked, whihc is weird because I later read that it was supposed to come out a few months after I bought mine.

They must have sneaked it out. I've tried looking for release date infor on a "Director's Cut", but all I find are news stories about it. Gamestop, nor amazon, have anything under Mafia II Director's Cut. I'm thinking the Greatest Hits edition is the DC, and it's just mixed in with the regular version on search engines.

I just finished the main campaign of Mafia II Definitive Edition. I was pleased that I didn't experience any glitches in which I needed to restart.

This definitely looks and feels like a late 2000s game even with a remaster. Mafia 3 is still fresh in my mind as I only played it last year and in comparison Mafia 2 feels dated. The graphics didn't really affect the experience for me as I didn't expect graphics that can hold up in 2021. However, when driving around the city, it does look dated especially when it was no longer winter. I didn't mind that the map is small. But the controls and camera of this game is clunky. It feels like a driving an old car and the driving here is not good as well. The graphics flicker like the lights/plants/buildings. Some of the buildings don't load instantly when free roaming. The sea is hilariously bad as you can't step on the water. The water just appeared as an invisible wall. The swimming pools have no water. This is like the only 2010s open world game that I played that has a body of water that you can't swim and you can't even drown in it. When shooting at the enemy, sometimes it auto aims and sometimes it doesn't. The camera could have been better as the game has a lot of enclosed spaces and sometimes I just see the back of the head of Vito. I kinda wish they remade this like the first Mafia game.

The things I like. I like that the protagonist is someone that I encountered a lot in Mafia 3. It really feels like these games are connected even if they are set in different decades. I like that you can buy stuff from the stores even though there aren't many. Vito can eat and drink. Its something extra that I appreciate in open world games. I like cars can run out of gas and gas stations are actually gas stations. I have never seen an open world game that lets you go to the gas station to get some gas for your car. The interior design of the buildings look good. The cutscenes are decent though sometimes my mind just wandered while watching them.

Things I dislike: I don't like you can't find the playboy covers during free roam. The other set of collectibles, the 190+ wanted posters are just too many and I wasn't motivated to find them. The police here is annoying, I played the game in easy so it was very easy to escape but I always get a wanted sign because I always hit the cars. I also really dislike using Vito's fists for combat during missions. You can't free roam using Vito after you beat the game. You have to start a new game to use him again. The story is too short and undercooked for me and the ending was not good. It ended just like that and there was no resolution at all.

Over all, I liked playing another Mafia game. I kinda liked the retro vibe of this and it felt like I was in the 40s/50s. I feel like this is one of the open world games that I can play just for the story and not mind the side stuff, so its unique in that way. I'm always distracted by collectibles and check lists in open world games. I feel like I got a break from those in this game. However, I prefer Mafia 3 over this simply because I can do so much more in Mafia 3 and that game had a longer story. While I took my time here because I didn't want to finish the game in a week but I still did. I was already halfway in the game after three days. For a 2010 open world game, I think they could have added more. It felt like GTA III with better graphics because of how limited the things you can do in the open world. As much as I want to do sightseeing (which I did), the only thing I can really do outside of the story is find wanted posters and those weren't even worth finding. The DLCs are nice bonuses but I don't consider those part of the base game.

If I have to rate it, I'll give it a 6.5 out of 10. I wanted to like it but the gameplay and story are just meh. I'm kinda disappointed in this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"