Man critically injured in apparent car surfing incident

Piper Maru

Reaction score
http://news.ca.msn.com/local/toronto/man-critically-injured-in-apparent-car-surfing-incident

E40267DF27D87AE0ADAF4394911_h243_w430_m2_q80_ccGlmLztQ.jpg

A Brampton man was critically injured after falling off a moving car, which was being driven by a young driver who is now facing charges.

Peel Regional Police say the incident happened at 2 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, when a silver 1998 Honda Civic was driving in the Father Tobin Road and Bramalea Road area.

A 19-year-old man was riding on the trunk and ended up falling off. He was first taken to a local hospital, but subsequently transferred to a Toronto trauma centre in critical condition.

Police say the Civic was being driven by a 16-year-old male who is now facing charges of criminal negligence causing bodily harm and dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

The man hurt in the incident and the teen driving the car were friends, police say.

Investigators want to hear from witnesses who saw the incident unfold, or the moments beforehand. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 905-453-2121, ext. 3710, or to contact Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Const. George Tudos said that police are reminding the public that such incidents are both unsafe and illegal.

“Seatbelts were put in the vehicle for a reason,” he said in a telephone interview.

While police are not describing it as car surfing, the incident in Brampton is one of several to take place in Canada recently in which individuals were injured or killed while riding on vehicles.

In August, a 49-year-old B.C. man died after an alleged car surfing incident, in which the victim was seen riding on the hood of a vehicle after leaving a party and ended up being thrown onto the road when it later came to a stop. A 46-year-old woman was subsequently charged with criminal negligence causing death and impaired driving causing death.

That same a month, a 16-year-old girl suffered serious injuries in a car surfing incident in Corner Brook, N.L., which led to charges against another girl of the same age.

A Quebec father was fined for allowing his daughters to ride on the hood of a car he was driving in July.

In June, a 26-year-old Quebec City man was critically injured after falling off a moving vehicle

Teen Wolf springs to mind. And "seatbelts were put in the vehicle for a reason," although not ON the vehicle so I guess that's a safety flaw.

I don't get why people do things like this. Do they think it makes them hip and cool?!

The only thing the driver should be charged with is misuse of a vehicle or reckless endangerment. The 19 year old is a grown ass man and he wasnt forced up on that trunk by the 16 year old. And really the driver is 16 years old. This kind of **** happens when your brain is a soup of crazy hormons and your easily enfluenced by your dumnass friends and youtube. I think for the 19 year old he already got his punishment. Put the fear of god in the 16 year old and move on. No need to **** up his record with a bunch of charges cause he made a stupid teenage mistake.

The only thing the driver should be charged with is misuse of a vehicle or reckless endangerment. The 19 year old is a grown ass man and he wasnt forced up on that trunk by the 16 year old. And really the driver is 16 years old. This kind of **** happens when your brain is a soup of crazy hormons and your easily enfluenced by your dumnass friends and youtube. I think for the 19 year old he already got his punishment. Put the fear of god in the 16 year old and move on. No need to **** up his record with a bunch of charges cause he made a stupid teenage mistake.

No need to **** up his record with a bunch of charges cause he made a stupid teenage mistake.
Except charging the 16 year old and making them somewhat responsible for their actions, may publicly draw attention to avoiding lending themselves to this...

... the driver is 16 years old. This kind of **** happens when your brain is a soup of crazy hormons and your easily enfluenced by your dumnass friends and youtube.

As far as the guy on the hood of a car, instead of teasing or riding lions, tigers and bears, that's just nature's modern way of natural selection.

Last edited:
I don't get why people do things like this. Do they think it makes them hip and cool?!

It's Brampton, Ontario. The dude behind the wheel will be mayor 10 years from now.

I understand doing some really stupid stuff like this when you're a cocky and immature teen who still thinks he's invincible, buuuut....

In August, a 49-year-old B.C. man died after an alleged car surfing incident, in which the victim was seen riding on the hood of a vehicle after leaving a party and ended up being thrown onto the road when it later came to a stop. A 46-year-old woman was subsequently charged with criminal negligence causing death and impaired driving causing death.

Um, what?

I have sympathy for the teens in this article, but not the dude pushing 50 who somehow thought this was an okay idea. Call me ageist if you want, but did that guy not grow up at all in his previous three decades of adulthood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"