Man of steel 2 possible plot and villians

An epic battle on Apokolips would be a dream for me. I think after the events of the first film, another battle in Metropolis might be redundant.

I love the notion of Darkseid and Apokolips, but to me that's best reserved for a Justice League movie. What would the justice league battle that's much bigger a villain than Darkseid?

Just because they want to go for a more intimate sequel doesnt mean they should reduce spectacle.I mean the Spectacle was HUGE part of the appeal to the GA to lose it would be very foolish.It can be intimte and specataucar

I do not think Lex/Metallo or Lex/Parasite will give enough spectacle for a Superman movie.Spiderman/Ironman maybe but not Supes.
I perfer giving Lex an Army.Maybe give him the Anti-Superman Army as his goons.You can have Parsite/Metallo be a part of that army if you like.

Metallo sports Supes' weekness, and gives you a good amount of action. You can't have another big scale alien invasion movie again.

I love the notion of Darkseid and Apokolips, but to me that's best reserved for a Justice League movie. What would the justice league battle that's much bigger a villain than Darkseid?

Yeah probably true.

For a solo Superman film I'd love to see War World someday with Mongul though. Think that would be interesting, maybe not for this series but maybe in a rebooted series later on down the line.

Oh, I like the idea of Lex constructing a suit with Kryptonian armour/tech that he salvages.

Metallo would be the perfect physical nemesis (though obviously with Lex also involved as the brains of the operation).

Metallo could represent someone who's losing more of their humanity every day - both mentally, and also in terms of physical changes - and succumbing to whatever rage and anger drives them.

Whereas Superman represents the polar opposite of that; someone who's losing his initial anger and frustration from not knowing who he was pre-MOS, to gaining more and more humanity every day as the people of Earth accept him.

Metallo would be the perfect physical nemesis (though obviously with Lex also involved as the brains of the operation).

Metallo could represent someone who's losing more of their humanity every day - both mentally, and also in terms of physical changes - and succumbing to whatever rage and anger drives them.

Whereas Superman represents the polar opposite of that; someone who's losing his initial anger and frustration from not knowing who he was pre-MOS, to gaining more and more humanity every day as the people of Earth accept him.

Then there is also action but to a lesser scale.

I personally like the idea that someone put forward on a MOS review podcast of it being President Luthor/ Candidate Luthor and Metallo vs Superman. I think in the MOS universe that would be the next logical step given the way MOS ended.

The only problem I would have with that is that it would tend to pull the story further away from Metropolis and it would probably force the story be focussed in D.C. . I'd want the next film to really focus on Metropolis as the center of Clark's new life as opposed to pulling him away to D.C. and potentially other parts of the world. That said, there's alot you could do with President Luthor with Metallo being a military creation along with Lois and Clark's investigative reporting of the Administration.

But again, another issue might be that the film would come off as too political and would feel like a Jack Ryan thriller than a Superman flick.

But again, another issue might be that the film would come off as too political and would feel like a Jack Ryan thriller than a Superman flick.

I like the ideas that you've mentioned there.

And if the film did end up being somewhat of a political/thriller type film, would that necessarily be a bad thing? So many times when I read reviews of TDK, critics mentioned that it's a superb crime film with Batman in it, as opposed to a Batman film with crime in it. The opening bank heist with the Joker set that tone.

If they can successfully marry the sci-fi/superhero elements of MOS to a very strong and very tight storyline with Luthor and his business/political machinations, it could be something really impressive. But it would be a real balancing act.

The storyline's success would really hinge on the motivations of the characters. Zod's motivations were plain to see; he was genetically modified from birth to be military minded, he viewed Kal-El as an abomination, and he strove to restore the Kryptonian race. Superman opposed his plans, thus he was his enemy.

Why would a successful, rich and charming Lex hate Superman? There's been many reasons over the years in the different media, but pure jealousy is probably the most plausible. Luthor's success is a marker of his ambition and his desire to be the absolute best in his field. He's built up a fortune, spearheads the biggest company on Earth, may be considered incredibly handsome (depending if they go with this angle in a sequel and who they cast in the role), etc etc ........................ then along comes Superman, who immediately captures the public's attention and makes Lex appear Z-list. He has all these gifts (his powers) which, in Luthor's estimation, were like a silver spoon handed to him at birth and weren't 'earned'. By being so successful, he will also have built up many enemies and a certain sense of paranoia and distrust - and Superman may represent that paranoia in the flesh; an actual alien, a being who can't be measured by the normal rules of business or politics.

Last edited:
I personally like the idea that someone put forward on a MOS review podcast of it being President Luthor/ Candidate Luthor and Metallo vs Superman. I think in the MOS universe that would be the next logical step given the way MOS ended.

The only problem I would have with that is that it would tend to pull the story further away from Metropolis and it would probably force the story be focused in D.C. . I'd want the next film to really focus on Metropolis as the center of Clark's new life as opposed to pulling him away to D.C. and potentially other parts of the world. That said, there's alot you could do with President Luthor with Metallo being a military creation along with Lois and Clark's investigative reporting of the Administration.

Man of Steel does have a global scale so making Luther a President or running for office wouldn't feel out of place to me in the sequel. I think it's a good idea.

I would love to see if they could some how tie Metallo into the destruction of Metropolis. Like he was hurt/close to death because of it and so Lex Luthor help him out. But as someone pointed out he could slowly lose his mind because of all the implants and hate superman for it.

This would be great because than Superman could understand that he needs to control his power and show him that his actions have repercussions.

Man of Steel does have a global scale so making Luther a President or running for office wouldn't feel out of place to me in the sequel. I think it's a good idea.

Jeffrey Taylor over at the Superman homepage came up with the idea during towards the end of the podcast and I thought it sounded really cool especially given the direction Snyder/Goyer/ and Nolan went with MOS. It would be something we haven't seen in the movies before , yet it would also be true to the comics so it wouldn't be something that was out of left field for the diehard fans.

whatever they do, we need to keep on seeing stuff we've never seen before .. so with Lex it needs to be a huge departure from what we have seen in the past .. funny that Mongul has only received 1 mention ?

This is how I feel, but I also associate Darkseid with Superman as one of his main villains, at least he was when I was coming up and reading comics. I actually would like him for a third sequel possibly, because I don't think it could get any bigger after a colossal battle between those two...

Kryptonite or no Kryptonite?

The problem with Bizarro is that the comics version is too campy for MOS, they're not going to use a moronic character like that. Unless, they do something similar to Smallville and make him a psycho-version of Kal-El. I still think Lex as the psychological threat and Metallo the physical one, makes perfect sense for MOS2, and if they want another superfight, then add Supergirl to the mix, if not, then spectacular rescue scenes, like Superman saving a bullet train, etc.

Yeah I'd have Kryptonite in the sequel, if there is I'm almost certain Mettallo will be teaming up with Lex. Although I bet he's only ever called John Corben never Mettallo.

Yeah I'd have Kryptonite in the sequel, if there is I'm almost certain Mettallo will be teaming up with Lex. Although I bet he's only ever called John Corben never Mettallo.

You're probably right now that I think about it. lol

You're probably right now that I think about it. lol

Which I'm fine with I always thought Mettallo as a name was pretty goofy lol plus there's something cool about Superman calling him Corben.

Oh and I really hope we see Superman stop a train or something in the next one, maybe just do some super saves from a disaster of some kind or something.

Kryptonite or no Kryptonite?

Absolutely NO KRYPTONITE

I would be 100% happy if Kryptonite NEVER exists in this DCU. I absolutely can't stand story-lines that rely on Kryptonite. Biggest cop-out plot device ever created. I hate it.

The only time Kryptonite is ever acceptable in a story for me is when Batman has some stockpiled in case Superman goes rogue, those cases it's acceptable because it's the only way Batman can legitimately take on Superman physically, and I'm fine with it because it can give us epic fanboy battles.

But other than that, KEEP IT OUT OF THE DCU.

*Oh and I'm occasionally fine with it being used with Metallo but only when it is used very sparingly. When Metallo just keeps his chest open the entire time they fight I just zzzzZZZZzz

Theres nothing spoectacular about a wekaned superman fighting.Its weak superman.
To explain the Anti-superman army is not exactly an Army-In the comics its a sqaud of Supermans modt dangerous earth villains-Parasite,Metallo,Kryptonite. etcBasically Supermans version of the Sinister six

And how is weak Superman not spectacular? How is a man, used to titanic power and super senses, being temporarily brought down to mortal levels by a super powered enemies, and being forced to come up with an intelligent solution to a problem--how is that anything short of miraculous? Spectacle comes in many different forms. You can only end so many fights with a punch through the moon. Sometimes, an intellectual solution can be even more mind-blowingly awesome than just a lot of fights.

And how is weak Superman not spectacular? How is a man, used to titanic power and super senses, being temporarily brought down to mortal levels by a super powered enemies, and being forced to come up with an intelligent solution to a problem--how is that anything short of miraculous? Spectacle comes in many different forms. You can only end so many fights with a punch through the moon. Sometimes, an intellectual solution can be even more mind-blowingly awesome than just a lot of fights.

It's a cheap way of making power levels match. It's more interesting when less powerful people (say Batman or Luthor) come up with suits of armor, or artillery, or robots that can challenge Superman's strength.

Think of it this way, what's more interesting: Seeing the Hulk depowered or seing Tony Stark build the Hulkbuster suit?

I'd prefer a race to the top than a race to the bottom. In fact I'd prefer a generally less powerful Superman (someone that can be hurt, not killed, but hurt by very powerful human weapons - say a direct shot from a rail-gun) than a Superman who just loses half his strength (or all of it) because of an effing space-rock.

Absolutely NO KRYPTONITE

I would be 100% happy if Kryptonite NEVER exists in this DCU. I absolutely can't stand story-lines that rely on Kryptonite. Biggest cop-out plot device ever created. I hate it.

I will say, I enjoyed the way MoS basically used Kryptonite without actually using Kryptonite. I have no real issue with it, but I agree, I'm tired of it used so much in movies. Pit Superman against powerful foes and that plot device isn't necessary.

Which I'm fine with I always thought Mettallo as a name was pretty goofy lol plus there's something cool about Superman calling him Corben.

Oh and I really hope we see Superman stop a train or something in the next one, maybe just do some super saves from a disaster of some kind or something.

Yeah it'd be cool to have like a 10 minute "rescuing" montage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"