Man of Steel vs Thor TDW, seen 'em both, what do you folks think ? Compare/contrast

I liked both about the Same.
I still think the final battle in MoS had to many building crash throughs and it kills it for me, BUT Zod was a bit more dramatic than Mal, tho Loki had enough drama that it would have been too much I think to have both over doing the drama.
BOTH had Amazing visuals and I can see the two side by side not far from each other in the universe lol

Thor 2 On Track To Hammer Man of Steel At The Box Office?

An earlier tweet by Cosmic Book News EIC Matt McGloin read "Thor is the new Superman," and now the numbers might be supporting that.

Box Office Mojo has put together some estimates, and while Thor 2 is running behind Man of Steel domestically at the box office, it is hammering Superman internationally.

The Motely Fool, an investment website and content partner for USA Today, estimates that Thor 2 will end up close to the Man of Steel's final numbers (see chart below).

They have it that Thor 2 could finish with around $660 million worldwide, with Man of Steel having $663 million (which is actually less than the $700 million Warner Bros. hoped for and why some believe Batman was added to the mix).

Currently, Thor 2 has netted $147 million domestically after being open for ten days.

The same time period saw Man of Steel at a whopping $249 million in the U.S.

What's interesting about Man of Steel's numbers is that after ten days it only went on to make another $42 million ($291 total for U.S.), which possibly means the film had no staying power with some word-of-mouth reviews being so negative.

Fan thoughts on Thor 2, however, have been for the most part positive.

Another bonus for Thor 2 could be its staying power in movie theaters. For some reason, Man of Steel got yanked early - appearing only 98 days in theaters, which is actually less than the 2011 Thor movie. That 98 days for the Man of Steel is considerably less than any of The Dark Knight movies and is even less than Superman Returns. It's possible if Thor 2's numbers remain steady, it could overtake Man of Steel at the box office as it simply will be shown more.

Another interesting number: The foreign total for Man of Steel is $371,800,000. Thor 2 is currently sitting at $332,800,000.

Thor 2 is currently at $479,765,000 worldwide, which looks good for the possibility of a Thor 3 or a Loki spinoff movie.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/thor-2-track-hammer-man-steel-box-office

Of course it should be noted that MOS had a better second weekend that TTDW. As anyone reading this board would know, the two films faced entirely different second weekends. Thor only faced one adult focused comedy and MOS faced two other big hit movies, one aimed directly at kids and families and one aimed at teens and above. Had MOS had a second week without real competition (or even just one of the two movies it faced) it would have easily crossed the 700 mill that WB wanted. That is on the studio not on the film.

That said, TTDW was a fun movie which seems to be Marvel's wheel house right now. I fall into the camp that just wants all CBMS to be be good and successful. I am 47 and remember clearly just how bad the CBM world was until relatively recently. In the end though, I would trade MOS for the entire MCU. Go MOS!

The irony is that Thor: The Dark World and Man of Steel have a lot of things in common with each other.

1. Both of their lead heroes wear red capes and can fly (though through different means from each other of course).

2. Both of the heroes' leading ladies (Lois and Jane) are presented as being their strongest ties to Earth.

3. Both heroes end up choosing Earth over their own heritage.

4. Zod and Malekith both have some large spaceship/aircraft that they use to travel around and where both play a part in the final battle fort the dominion over Earth.

5. Zod and Malekith both have powerful individuals serving their beck and call (Faora and Kurse).

6. The main villains from both films kill one of the heroes' parents (Jor-el and Frigga)

7. Superman and Thor have a lot of scenes where they shout out in anger and agony.

8. Both Superman and Thor have an scientist figure that helps them find a way to defeat their enemies (Dr Emil Hamilton and Erik Selvig).

Of course it should be noted that MOS had a better second weekend that TTDW. As anyone reading this board would know, the two films faced entirely different second weekends. Thor only faced one adult focused comedy and MOS faced two other big hit movies, one aimed directly at kids and families and one aimed at teens and above. Had MOS had a second week without real competition (or even just one of the two movies it faced) it would have easily crossed the 700 mill that WB wanted. That is on the studio not on the film.

That said, TTDW was a fun movie which seems to be Marvel's wheel house right now. I fall into the camp that just wants all CBMS to be be good and successful. I am 47 and remember clearly just how bad the CBM world was until relatively recently. In the end though, I would trade MOS for the entire MCU. Go MOS!

Nice ! The summer blockbuster season is a tough one. Down here MOS came up against Pacific Rim, which I loved (although not as much as MOS, but more than TDW), whereas TDW had an overall weaker field to compete with.

I too, being over 40 remember CBM's of old, having said that remember George Reeves as Superman on TV in black and white, still awesome. And Reeve and Donner, are still awesome today, products of their time, true, but I watched SMTM recently, while it's not comparable to MOS in terms of effects, in every other respect it is equally wonderful, and THE great Superman film, to which all others are compared -but having said that, MOS does the job of Superman TM and Superman II combined.

Anyway, in short, go MOS, setting new standards in awesome !

The irony is that Thor: The Dark World and Man of Steel have a lot of things in common with each other.

1. Both of their lead heroes wear red capes and can fly (though through different means from each other of course).

2. Both of the heroes' leading ladies (Lois and Jane) are presented as being their strongest ties to Earth.

3. Both heroes end up choosing Earth over their own heritage.

4. Zod and Malekith both have some large spaceship/aircraft that they use to travel around and where both play a part in the final battle fort the dominion over Earth.

5. Zod and Malekith both have powerful individuals serving their beck and call (Faora and Kurse).

6. The main villains from both films kill one of the heroes' parents (Jor-el and Frigga)

7. Superman and Thor have a lot of scenes where they shout out in anger and agony.

8. Both Superman and Thor have an scientist figure that helps them find a way to defeat their enemies (Dr Emil Hamilton and Erik Selvig).
wow... so why is the copycat? :D
btw, will Thor gonna have an alter ego on the earth? :D

wow... so why is the copycat? :D
btw, will Thor gonna have an alter ego on the earth? :D

There's always Don. Blake. Ad maybe Cavill will make a cameo as a glasses wearing reporter who bumps into Thor once. :woot:

T:TDW should be miles better than MoS as it has an already established sandbox (Thor 1). MoS has to establish everything from the ground up. Imho, T:TDW was a massive missed opportunity.

Thor for me. I think Hemsworth is a much more charismatic lead.

I saw Thor2 last night....what garbage. It was horrible IMO. Compared to MOS..lol...that's laughable. The villain in Thor was boring, no real good plot, just...meh. I literally was falling asleep. And I liked the first Thor. This movie was terrible. Seriously. So far Phase 2 for Marvel has been a loss.

Man the critics and fanboys are REALLY divided straight down the middle a
concerning MOS.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

No they aren't. Most Superman fans actually like the film. It's just negativity always gets a louder voice. That's not a knock to those who didn't enjoy it, but they aren't as many as those who did.

By that logic, Superman Returns should have been a smash hit and have a sequel because critics mostly enjoyed it. Fans hated it.

Catwoman, Constantine, Jonah Hex and Green Lantern say hi ! ;)

Cute.
Punisher
Spider-Man 3
Elektra
Daredevil
Fantastic Four
Hulk
Ghost Rider
Iron Man 3...

Yeah...Marvel's made some serious trash too my friend.

Thor: The Dark World. As I said before, MOS was good, but it's not even on par with Marvel Studios's worst. TDW simply had much more going for it: better pace, superior score, a better sense of humor (funny ≠ inferior), Tom Hiddleston. I could go on. MOS has fine moments, but it feels kinda sloppy in places. TDW has its flaws, but it feels very polished in comparison, making for a much better experience.

You honestly think Marvel studios' worst is better than MOS. As in Iron Man 3!? Ghost Rider...really. Wow.

TDW I felt was one of the worst comic book movies I've seen. Boring as heck. Too fake, the villains felt like upgraded versions of Power Rangers characters...oh wait I've felt that before...that's right in the army in Avengers and Green Goblin in Spider-Man...meh.

well, you ain't wrong. it isn't about good quality movie when it comes to box office. Thor 2 is just a fun movie that is much more appealing to the general public. although i loath it.

Agreed. I think Thor 2 is horrible. But box office success is more about general appeal versus quality. Mark my words Superman vs Batman will crush everything. This is like watching Batman Begins all over. That movie came out..it was mixed reviews..people felt meh about it. But once it hit DVD and more an more people saw it...it got bigger (much like Blade). Sequel hit and for Batman it was a massive success.

I think, given T:TDW box office the last couple of weeks we get a clearer picture of just how much the crowded summer impacted MoS box office. MoS has performed better in each of its weekends than T:TDW has. While it would not be fair to compare weekday grosses (because of Summer), it is fair to look at and compare the weekend box office. MoS out paced Thor while facing far more competition pretty much every single week of it's release.

I wonder how much more successful MU and WWZ would have been if they didn't have to face MoS?

MoS will definitely end with higher domestic box office than Thor, but because of its international success Thor will come in with a higher overall box.

It will be fun to see what happens at the box office in two years when the first DCCU sequel comes out. The foreign market loves a sequel and MoS will have been seen by everyone who avoided it in theatres either due to the crowded release dates, in reaction to the reviews or even their lingering memories of SR.

What at awesome time to be a cbm fan.

Id give Thor like a 6.5 and MOS like an 8

So I voted MOS by a little

31.jpg

No they aren't. Most Superman fans actually like the film. It's just negativity always gets a louder voice. That's not a knock to those who didn't enjoy it, but they aren't as many as those who did.

By that logic, Superman Returns should have been a smash hit and have a sequel because critics mostly enjoyed it. Fans hated it.

Ain't that the truth ! SR was the worst portrayal of Superman on film, ever,
it makes Superman IV: the Quest for Peace a timeless classic by comparison.
I can't think of the words "Kryptonite Island" without getting pissed off.

While critics can be a useful guideline, it's always up to personal taste
(I actually like the second Ghost Rider film, because Cage is so crazy in it,
I think he should be the next actor to play the Joker,)

I suspect there are Superman purists, who do think Supes should stay in the Silver age. Personally, I loved MOS and was very happy with how Snyder and the gang brought him soaring into the 21st Century.

Ain't that the truth ! SR was the worst portrayal of Superman on film, ever,
it makes Superman IV: the Quest for Peace a timeless classic by comparison.
I can't think of the words "Kryptonite Island" without getting pissed off.

While critics can be a useful guideline, it's always up to personal taste
(I actually like the second Ghost Rider film, because Cage is so crazy in it,
I think he should be the next actor to play the Joker,)

I suspect there are Superman purists, who do think Supes should stay in the Silver age. Personally, I loved MOS and was very happy with how Snyder and the gang brought him soaring into the 21st Century.

Amen. I love 'purists' because most of them aren't even purists to begin with. If they were, Superman wouldn't be able to fly in the movie. That a real purist. But I get your point, they are the people who whine about the ending, want the red briefs back, are made he has no s curl, blah blah blah.

I think, given T:TDW box office the last couple of weeks we get a clearer picture of just how much the crowded summer impacted MoS box office. MoS has performed better in each of its weekends than T:TDW has. While it would not be fair to compare weekday grosses (because of Summer), it is fair to look at and compare the weekend box office. MoS out paced Thor while facing far more competition pretty much every single week of it's release.

I wonder how much more successful MU and WWZ would have been if they didn't have to face MoS?

MoS will definitely end with higher domestic box office than Thor, but because of its international success Thor will come in with a higher overall box.

It will be fun to see what happens at the box office in two years when the first DCCU sequel comes out. The foreign market loves a sequel and MoS will have been seen by everyone who avoided it in theatres either due to the crowded release dates, in reaction to the reviews or even their lingering memories of SR.

What at awesome time to be a cbm fan.

Really? domestically has Thor 2 made more than Thor 1 already?? does it have a chance to make more than 600m ww?

Really? domestically has Thor 2 made more than Thor 1 already?? does it have a chance to make more than 600m ww?

I will reply ignoring that your post seems sarcastic...

No, T:TDW has not beat Thor at the domestic BO and really has little chance of catchig MoS on the homefront. It is losing box office faster than MoS except in the foreign market where it has done better than MoS. It needs another like 14 mil domestic to match Thor and 110 million to match MoS domestically.

T:TDW needs another 80 million to catch MoS world wide box office. It isn't impossible but if it does it will come mainly from the foreign market.

No sarcasm intended.

Wow. Thor2 has made 580M WW!!! That's superb!!! Consider how poor it is. Really wow.

No sarcasm intended.

Wow. Thor2 has made 580M WW!!! That's superb!!! Consider how poor it is. Really wow.

My apologies. i should no better than to post after a bad day...everybody sounds sarcastic. I enjoyed T:tdw, but LOVED MoS. How more people didn't "get it" amazes me.

Meanwhile, Transformers 3 made over a billion.

I'll never understand on how either Transformers 2 o 3 made the amount of money that they both did, especially the former one. I mean sure, it's stupid fun but they're both such shallow films imho.

I'll never understand on how either Transformers 2 o 3 made the amount of money that they both did, especially the former one. I mean sure, it's stupid fun but they're both such shallow films imho.

same goes to twilight and the hunger games.
i can't even finish watching twilight 2 and hunger games 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"