The Marketing of Steel

Rowsdower!

Avenger
Reaction score
Just curious how you guys think they should market this movie. What type of trailer do you think is best? Should they play up the epic elements (a la Thor)? The comedic/lighthearted moments (a la Green Lantern)? Try and give it a "real world" feel in the advertising (Nolan's Batman films)?

Maybe all or none of the above?

How about the movie banners and posters? Ordinarly, I wouldn't even be thinking about this, but that recent Thor poster of Natalie Portman (IMO) is a perfect example of what NOT to do with a movie poster. If you're unaware, they've been releasing all of these posters for the various characters and their titles (Thor is the God of Thunder, Loki is the God of Mischief). But since Portman's character is a scientist (and they need to make a poster for her since, ya know, she just won an oscar and that adds some weight to the film) they titled her "The Woman of Science." Seriously? They couldn't come up with anything better than that?

And since this movie will most likely be called The Man of Steel, I could easily see WB making the same mistake if they do posters for each character...

Superman - The Man of Steel
Lex Luthor - The Genius of Earth
Lois Lane - The Woman of Reporting
Jimmy Olsen - The Boy of Photography
Brainiac - The Mind of Evil
General Zod - The Guy Who Makes You Kneel
Perry White - The Geezer of Editing
Jonathan Kent - The Pa of Steel
Martha Kent - The Ma of Steel

Really depends on what type of movie it'll be But I'm hoping for Thor&Cap type of trailers!,Nolan's Batman type of trailers would be great But I don't think the movie will be like that and I just feel SUPERMAN should be more in style of Thor!

I don't have much of a problem with Portman's"Woman of Science",I don't think they need to make the character sheet posters like Thor But I wouldn't mind it either!

The Guy Who Makes You Kneel....LMAO

Really depends on what type of movie it'll be But I'm hoping for Thor&Cap type of trailers!,Nolan's Batman type of trailers would be great But I don't think the movie will be like that and I just feel SUPERMAN should be more in style of Thor!

I don't have much of a problem with Portman's"Woman of Science",I don't think they need to make the character sheet posters like Thor But I wouldn't mind it either!

Yeah, I would agree that the Cap and Thor style of trailer would suit Superman the best. The humorous trailers, like GL and Iron Man, turn some people off (because some people apparently can't grasp that humor in a trailer doesn't necessarily indicate that the movie is a comedy), and the uber-realistic approach obviously lends itself easier to Batman than Superman. So, going epic seems to be the best way to go, IMO.

Really, I think that Thor's marketing has been fine, aside from that silly poster. It just made me laugh so much that I had to write something about it.

The Guy Who Makes You Kneel....LMAO

LOL, a few more:

Metallo - The (other) Man of Steel

Parasite - The Monster of Suck

Bizarro - The Screw-Up of Steel

Jor El - The Man Who Dies in The First Five Minutes

Lara - She Dies Too

They'll have the first teaser be somewhat on a more epic scale I would think, kind of heralding his rebirth to an extent. Then a full two minute one with some focus on his origin/upbringing, a few feats of strength, some slightly comedic moments where he tries to find himself or makes a few mistakes a la Disney's Hercules, and then it gets serious when he starts to realize that his power should be for the good of mankind when a threat comes out.

They shoud have virals like TDK. Make a Daily Planet website.

Maybe make some actual papers, even though the art of print is dying. :o

I say they make a Daily Planet news website.

And a LexCorp website,where you can explore what the company does.

I say they make a Daily Planet news website.

And a LexCorp website,where you can explore what the company does.

That would be awesome!,Has Lex Luthor been confirmed for this movie though?

Ohhh... those are really cool ideas Rodrigo. Especially the LexCorp one. There is so much you could do with that. The Daily Planet one could be cool too... they could set it up like a legit news site, and even allow fans to write fake news stories about Superman and other things (they'd obviously have to screen them before publishing). That way it would be interactive and would serve to get people really excited.

If Brainiac is in the film, they might also want to set up some weird site for that too, with a bunch of unitelligible code and images.

Heres an idea.

Say they make a Daily Planet and LexCorp website.

You look around and explore,and you come to a section that says "career advice" and you put in your name,etc and apply for a job. Then a few days later you get an email claiming that you have the job,and they have you go on a goose chase around which ever city looking for a story,that the WB put out for marketing. Having Perry barking orders at you,lol.

Or if you join the LexCorp website,you also apply for a career. You get the job,and the website leads you into LexCorp's more shady side of things? Maybe even have the actor playing Lex give you a creepy tour?

Last edited:
Ohhh... those are really cool ideas Rodrigo. Especially the LexCorp one. There is so much you could do with that. The Daily Planet one could be cool too... they could set it up like a legit news site, and even allow fans to write fake news stories about Superman and other things (they'd obviously have to screen them before publishing). That way it would be interactive and would serve to get people really excited.

If Brainiac is in the film, they might also want to set up some weird site for that too, with a bunch of unitelligible code and images.
thanks man.:yay: Nice ideas yourself.

Last edited:
Just curious how you guys think they should market this movie. What type of trailer do you think is best? Should they play up the epic elements (a la Thor)? The comedic/lighthearted moments (a la Green Lantern)? Try and give it a "real world" feel in the advertising (Nolan's Batman films)?

Maybe all or none of the above?

How about the movie banners and posters? Ordinarly, I wouldn't even be thinking about this, but that recent Thor poster of Natalie Portman (IMO) is a perfect example of what NOT to do with a movie poster. If you're unaware, they've been releasing all of these posters for the various characters and their titles (Thor is the God of Thunder, Loki is the God of Mischief). But since Portman's character is a scientist (and they need to make a poster for her since, ya know, she just won an oscar and that adds some weight to the film) they titled her "The Woman of Science." Seriously? They couldn't come up with anything better than that?

And since this movie will most likely be called The Man of Steel, I could easily see WB making the same mistake if they do posters for each character...

Superman - The Man of Steel
Lex Luthor - The Genius of Earth
Lois Lane - The Woman of Reporting
Jimmy Olsen - The Boy of Photography
Brainiac - The Mind of Evil
General Zod - The Guy Who Makes You Kneel
Perry White - The Geezer of Editing
Jonathan Kent - The Pa of Steel
Martha Kent - The Ma of Steel

no...they aren't that dumb

The pinnacle of my excitement for SR came when I saw the teaser. That's my idea of an awesome trailer, and it's the one thing I'm asking from this movie's marketing: something that treats Superman with such reverence and mystique that they barely even show him.

Superman never seems cooler than when he has other people talking about him. The idea of Superman is actually a bit cooler than Superman himself (just barely), so I say they bring that attitude to the marketing. Posters that show his shadow, his outline, his little details (the glasses, the red of the cape, whatever). Maybe even little web videos that resemble interviews where people recount their experience of being saved. Kind of what they did with Dr Manhattan, maybe. Shaky amateur videos of a distant dot flying away.

So, yeah, make it "real world".

The pinnacle of my excitement for SR came when I saw the teaser. That's my idea of an awesome trailer, and it's the one thing I'm asking from this movie's marketing: something that treats Superman with such reverence and mystique that they barely even show him.

Superman never seems cooler than when he has other people talking about him. The idea of Superman is actually a bit cooler than Superman himself (just barely), so I say they bring that attitude to the marketing. Posters that show his shadow, his outline, his little details (the glasses, the red of the cape, whatever). Maybe even little web videos that resemble interviews where people recount their experience of being saved. Kind of what they did with Dr Manhattan, maybe. Shaky amateur videos of a distant dot flying away.

So, yeah, make it "real world".

That teaser was so epic, but honestly, what made it so cool (IMO) was the music and Brando's voiceover... two things that they should NOT use in this film, not even as a tease.

The trailer need to show more action. The reason the other failed, aside from the terrible storyline, was the lack of action. They need to show that there will be plenty of action.

Last edited:
That teaser was so epic, but honestly, what made it so cool (IMO) was the music and Brando's voiceover... two things that they should NOT use in this film, not even as a tease.

But also the imagery: the Kent mailbox, Clark in the barn, the people looking up, Superman against the sun... all cool, spine-tingling stuff. It just screams: "your character is being handled properly, and you will get a coronary when you finally see him in action".

The trailer need to show more action. The reason the other failed, aside from the terrible storyline, was the lack of action. They need to show that there will be plenty of action.

Terrible storyline? As far as i know the film did better with the critics than with the fans, the fans hated it while many filmmakers and critics liked the style and story. Good examples:
Richard Corliss of Time praised Superman Returns, calling it one of the best superhero films. He was mostly impressed with Singer's direction and the storyline
It's featured in Empire magazine's list of 500 best films of all time at number 496 and nn May 3, 2009, the Academy Award winning filmmaker and screenwriter Quentin Tarantino declared his appreciation for Bryan Singer's directorial work on Superman Returns and that he is writing a 20-page review about Superman Returns.

quentin tarantino makes fantastic movies, but also likes a lot of terrible ones

But almost all the critics liked the mvie, it were only the fans that didn't like the fact superman didn't punch anybody.

Personally I think returns was a good film, great in some aspects, but not the kind of superman storyline that should ever find its way to film, especially considering they were trying to reboot a franchise of that calibre. A great elseworlds superman tale, but it was just that an elseworlds tale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"