MARGOT ROBBIE to star in new Pirates of the Caribbean movie for Disney

Wow WB really likes Robbie

EDIT: Mean to say Disney

Last edited:
It's a separate project from the proposed reboot

From the THR article:

While plot details are being kept in Davey Jones’ locker, the project, in early development, is not intended to be a spinoff of the long-running franchise that had pirate Jack Sparrow at its center but rather a wholly original story with new characters under the Pirates moniker. The new project is said to be separate from the already announced reboot of the popular franchise that has Pirates scribe Ted Elliott and Chernobyl creator Craig Mazin developing the story.

Last edited:
I don't understand, is this part of the same continuity or is this a wholly new take? Is the rumored Gillian one the other one? Why two of them? It's rather redundant with two simultaneous fresh starts.

This franchise isn't really in a place where I can get excited about two new simultaneous POTC movies. I'd say start with the other one and see what happens. Or this is just a competing thing and they'll greenlight the best one.

I don't understand, is this part of the same continuity or is this a wholly new take? Is the rumored Gillian one the other one? Why two of them? It's rather redundant with two simultaneous fresh starts.

This franchise isn't really in a place where I can get excited about two new simultaneous POTC movies. I'd say start with the other one and see what happens. Or this is just a competing thing and they'll greenlight the best one.

Looks like both are being developed simultaneously. This one is an entirely a new thing with brand new characters who might not even be a part of the parks at Disneyland. The other one is supposed to be a reboot although the producers are leaving the door open for Depp to come back in some capacity so it's from the same continuity.

Looks like both are being developed simultaneously. This one is an entirely a new thing with brand new characters who might not even be a part of the parks at Disneyland. The other one is supposed to be a reboot although the producers are leaving the door open for Depp to come back in some capacity so it's from the same continuity.

This is the part that confuses me. Does that mean it's not in the same continuity?

Last edited:
This is the part that confuses me. Does that mean it's not in the same continuity?

The article says this one is not a spin-off. That would mean no one from the current POTC continuity shows up in this one.

From THR:

but rather a wholly original story with new characters under the Pirates moniker, itself inspired by the long-running attraction at Disneyland.

What does this mean?? Original story with no ties to the rides at Disneyland or original story inspired by character/s from the Disneyland rides

Confusing stuff going on. I’m sort of interested but would rather all the plans were combined into one project.

This is so dumb

Why not just introduce Margot’s character in a continuation of the Johnny Depp movies? Without Johnny, I just don’t see this movie being successful

Because then you can't have a Pirates of The Caribbean universe/multiverse.

If it works out it could be big for Margot. She has her hand in a lot of things with potential right now.

So there’s going to be a PotC multiverse? :o

I'm thinking of the Star Wars Episodes and the Standalone films as a comparison to this.

Whooa! Didn't see this one coming, but I'm excited. A little confused they're going with two separate POTC franchises at once though?

So now they're going to do TWO Pirates of the Caribbean movies without Jack Sparrow?

VigorousFrightenedGermanshepherd-small.gif

I liked Birds of Prey, so the director’s style could be a lot of fun in a Pirates set world.

And hey, I even liked Cutthroat Island for the bad adventure romp it was. Throw Geena Davis a cameo!

Kaya Scodelario (Carina in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales): "Well, when I signed up for the first one, I signed up for two movies. So I am contractually obliged [if another one is made], but I'd love to. I think there's a lot we can still do. I'd like see a Carina who takes the helm of Barbossa on the sea - have her own all-female pirate crew." "I think it would be a lot of fun to go back. It was an amazing experience to shoot [...] so many people all watch it and find joy in it - it crosses generations. People enjoy these movies and [...] people still want to see them. I think it's important that we make sure it's good and if people want it and we can find the right script, I'd love to be a part of it. But as of now, I haven't heard anything." (October 2, 2017)

Not a big Robbie fan at all, and I'm skeptical for a variety of reasons including if the theatrical market can sustain multiple pirate movies from the same franchise - with or without Depp on top of that. Stuff could be going straight to Disney Plus though so who knows.

Sigh. Robbie is not a draw. BoP should have been evident enough. But go ahead, waste your money on brain dead ideas during these difficult times. Another pirates movie without Depp, what could possibly go wrong?

You know what bugs me about this? It's that there are people who work at Disney who are smart enough to know this is a bad idea. The entire park structure is shut down, ESPN is showing little more than marble racing, and cinemas across the world are closed. And their solution is to not fall to their knees and crawl to the feet of Johnny Depp begging him to help them bring what would be a much needed box office hit, but to rely on an Aussie actress who wasn't even popular enough in her home country to win a viewers choice TV award. Putting aside who the star is, Disney simply don't have the talent behind the camera to pull this off. I do not for the life of me understand some of the decisions coming out of this industry right now.

ESPN is showing Cornhole competitions.

Also, let's be honest, a Pirates of the Caribbean 6 probably wouldn't be that big of a hit and would be cost prohibitive.

Chances are they didn't make much money on Dead Men Tell No Tales because it cost a ton. It only made $172 million in North America, even less than the first one.

Sometimes franchises just need to end. You can't force things to continue just because you have a title and an IP.

That said no, Margot Robbie is not a proven draw on her own.

Disney trying to do their female lead Pirates film while also doing another sequel, or at least male lead reboot so they don't attract they same heat as Ghostbusters 2016. "Look, this other Pirates movie has Captain Jack or at least a male lead. Look at the keys!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"