Mark Strong Returns to TV with AMC's Low Winter Sun

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Shifty, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Shifty Chief of Surgery

Deadline:
    It must be a great script if Strong would want to return for the American adaptation set in Detroit (Edinburgh, Scotland for the 2006 mini-series) as I'm sure other networks would want him for their pilots.

Lennie James always delivers and enjoyable to watch. Ernest Dickerson seems like the right director for the pilot.

David Costabile has been terrific over the past few years with recurring roles on The Wire, Damages, Breaking Bad and Suits. Fantastic to see him be part of a cast, joining an already a strong cast. With who they have assembled for the pilot, it has a great chance at getting picked up for 2013.

2. Hunter Rider Ronin

President Taylor's daughter! :hrt: This sounds like it could fill the void left by The Killing.

3. nite-owl Registered

I watched the original yesterday and I can definitely see parts that they can expand on in the remake.

4. Sawyer High King

Maybe this will succeed for AMC where The Killing failed.

5. Shifty Chief of Surgery

I'm sure AMC has learned their lesson. Doesn't stop them from making new mistakes. The showrunner did well at Criminal Minds it seems. He did co-create the spinoff which was canceled but he was at least involved so it's not like he's a rookie.

6. Sawyer High King

7. Shifty Chief of Surgery

Awesome. This joins my long list of anticipated 2013 dramas. Hopefully it is paired with Breaking Bad this summer as their reality shows have now moved to Thursdays. Or perhaps its saved for the fall with The Walking Dead. Why not give the show 10 million viewers as a lead in.

8. Sawyer High King

I'd bet on it being paired with BB. This presumably shares no characteristics with The Walking Dead, so the dropoff would probably be massive. If they ever pair TWD with a scripted show, it'll have to be something genre.

9. Shifty Chief of Surgery

They aired Hell on Wheels after TWD for four weeks. While there was a drop off, AMC had the top two Sunday night dramas in viewers and demo each time they aired together. The second season had no lead in and took a drop in viewership. That was when TWD was bringing in just over 6 million viewers. The massive drop in viewership happened with the hour long Comic Book Men.

I think a network like AMC still has to try and use TWD to launch other dramas or even comedies. Their first season of Low Winter Sun and future dramas can air after TWD and then can find new spots on the calendar for their second season once Breaking Bad and Mad Men end.

The three scripts they have in development Area 51, Rights of Bill and Thief of Thieves would be great pairings with TWD and easy sells.

They'll probably pair Turn, their Culper Ring spy drama, in Feb/Mar 2014 with TWD since AMC will own that show too if it gets picked up. Since all their pilots at least get picked up, it will likely happen.

10. Sawyer High King

11. Hunter Rider Ronin

Can't view it outside the US! :whatever:

12. Sawyer High King

[YT]oTFKglwGwcY[/YT]

13. Shifty Chief of Surgery

Trailer cinches it, I'll be checking out the show this summer! Looks great!

Then move to America. That's your country's copyright laws blocking it.

14. Hunter Rider Ronin

Not helpful, nor am I sure completely accurate. :oldrazz:

My dude! :up:

Looks intense, I'll definitely give this a try.

15. Shifty Chief of Surgery

Well I know in Canada there are different copyright holders to American shows. CTV airs The Following so I wouldn't be able to watch any Following videos on Fox.com but on CTV.ca I can.

I can't watch any videos on The Daily Show's website, it directs me to the Comedy Network's website (Canada's comedy channel, which is mainly Comedy Central content). I used to be able to watch it from Canada but then the laws caught up to what was going on the internet.

AMC is available in Canada so I can watch all their videos.

16. Shifty Chief of Surgery

Breaking Bad is getting all the hype but this could be the surprise of the summer!

A Look at Low Winter Sun
    [YT]UwzMTxrf41s[/YT]

Shooting in Detroit
    [YT]OuRWhVjxvDI[/YT]

17. Shifty Chief of Surgery

It didn't knock it out of the park, it may have benefited with a 2 hour premiere or just not coming after Breaking Bad but they kept me interested for the whole episode, had enough twists to make it interesting. Great performances. Certainly the best pilot episode since House of Cards. Will definitely keep watching!

18. HighFivingMF Welp.

I'm in. But I'm calling it Detective Sinestro.

19. Lantern Venom Emerald Echo Podcast Co-Host

:pal::applaud:lmao:

20. ThreadPool Thank you, SHH

Brilliant.
    Count me in. Tons of 'Breaking Bad' fans (on twitter) complaining about the preview for the next ep playing during the premiere of LWS. Saying cancel it. :whatever: TV programming 101. It was solid.

21. HighFivingMF Welp.

I don't see the difference between that and the premiere of a movie trailer attached to a different movie. Except this one is as simple as not pushing a button. People are OK with needing to see a movie for the debut of a trailer, but it's ******** that they have to sit there for 20 more minutes to see a preview for the show. One that will be online within hours anyway.

22. Wolfwood Shasta McNasty

What'd you guys think? I really liked it, the manipulation going on was pretty obvious, but I'm sold on the concept and direction of the series. Mark Strong's character seems like an infusion of Dutch and Vic Mackey, which is a dangerous combination.

23. ThreadPool Thank you, SHH

Exactly! "Cancel it!" Dramatic much?
    I'm intrigued. I'm hoping Geddes isn't as crooked as he seems. I can do without the criminal
    side story.

24. Zeus Registered

It wasnt a strong pilot episode, but the start to the Wire was not strong either. I'll see how this show plays out

25. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Here is the original Channel 4 UK version trailer for comparison. The UK version was set in Scotland so Mark Strong had a Scottish accent in it

[YT]PNECc11I6v0[/YT]

I saw the UK version which was good although not as good as BBC corrupt/vigilante cop shows like Lennie James show Line Of Duty and Good Cop.