World Marvel's Spider-Man Coming to Disney XD

Finally caught up on the first half of the 2nd season and I enjoyed it. Lots of fun villains show up, lots of Superior setup, the Eddie Venom episodes were enjoyably creepy and Eddie has really terrible motivations which they poke at how flimsy they are (I skipped the Venom episode last season and watching these justified that skippage because Venom existing before with other hosts hardly is even brought up haha). Already gets points over Ultimate for me just for including Eddie, those episodes were so much more interesting to me than the early Venom episodes from Ultimate.

Eddie's story isn't one that can be effectively condensed, so I never expect a fitting origin when he shows up to become Venom in 1-2 episodes. I was completely underwhelmed by this one-note version, but at least Eddie was present this time. I'm still not over Ultimate making Harry the host for both Venom and Anti-Venom. What was Bendis thinking? :huh:

I wasn't sure where else to post this so here you go. Looks pretty good if you ask me.

You guys should be glad you ignore this show. I watched the episode of return after a needless year long hiatus, and it's one of the most boring episodes to carry the name Spider-Man on the title.

You guys should be glad you ignore this show. I watched the episode of return after a needless year long hiatus, and it's one of the most boring episodes to carry the name Spider-Man on the title.
I've caught up on this show out of necessity and it really is just boring sometimes. Like it's not bad, it's a few steps away from being a thoroughly entertaining show but some things just hold it back and make it feel really bland and forgettable and it's hard to pinpoint why that is.

The writing is a bit too preachy often times, or just too on the nose with all the dialogue. It's more grating than Spidey stuff usually is. Most of the time it unfortunately looks visually cheap and blah. Sometimes the animation is fluid, most of the time it's not so that just adds to the weird viewing experience. I've seen every episode so far and I still don't understand why Harry Osborn had such a mad-on for hating Spidey most of the first season. It was like they said "oh, that's a thing Harry does" and just tacked it on, it makes no sense because later on Norman "dies" and then he actually has believable motivation to hate on Spider-Man.

But then it's just a giant tug of war between "we're friends, now we're enemies, now we're friends, now we're enemies, no we're always friends" where all the drama just feels contrived because they're too stupid to realize they're being manipulated by Norman and just keep going along with it every time. I also don't like how pretty much every supporting character is a genius at competing genius schools and gets superpowers as a permanent fixture. It just sort of waters down everybody because they don't ever really focus enough on any of the supporting characters beyond cursory developments.

This is the first Spidey show to literally start out with his origin, so he's only Spider-Man for a month or two and then Miles gets his powers and is looking up to him like a great hero who's always been there, it's just weird. This show does stuff where it has impact in the comics, but it doesn't in the show because they just do it without any of the proper buildup. It's a problem with Ultimate Spider-Man as well, where they rest a lot of the reason you should care about any of this on expectations from just being aware of the character and not wanting to do any of the work to earn that care in the show itself.

The leadup to the Superior arc was pretty well done, but I don't get why they act like Spidey and Ock are mortal enemies fighting for years when they've only fought each other a few times, and Ock is only a year or two older than Peter here. I don't get the obsession with deaging a lot of Spidey villains in these modern shows, the last two times Rhino's been a teenager and he's terrible every time, I don't get why they try to do the mentor thing with Doc Ock and also make him basically Peter's age as well.

I don't get why they do the Venom arc and have Venom be a mostly mindless monster possessing the football team, and then a season later do Eddie Brock proper. The last two Spidey show's are full of a lot of "I don't get why it's like this" where I'm not opposed to different interpretations, far from it, these adaptations just feel sloppy and base level.

Also kinda over these modern Spidey cartoons not wanting to try and tackle romantic subplots or anything resembling that anymore because young boys don't want to see Peter interested in anything other than fighting bad guys or science.

Marvel HQ YouTube channel has had a live stream going on of the entire series up to where it went on hiatus for a year, plus the newest episode is uploaded from Disney XD's YouTube.

Last edited:
This Superior Spider-Man stuff has been reasonably good so far, and I did not expect to say something this positive about an episode from this show.

It will probably return to its bland mediocrity after Peter takes back his body, so I shouldn't get too attached to what's left of this season, or show.

Anyone ready for a Venom World event to kick its way into animation next season? Cause this will be what the show delivers in its final season.

Soo, has anyone been watching this series lately?

THIS show is definitely one of those that make you wonder if it’s better to be remembered as bad than not be remembered at all.

Also... after people complained about Shocker being Montana instead of Herman Schultz in Spectacular, I don’t want to hear it after we had a Harry Venom and a Adrian Toomes Goblin King.

THIS show is definitely one of those that make you wonder if it’s better to be remembered as bad than not be remembered at all.

Also... after people complained about Shocker being Montana instead of Herman Schultz in Spectacular, I don’t want to hear it after we had a Harry Venom and a Adrian Toomes Goblin King.
All of this is pretty spot on. I've said it before but this show is just lacking a pulse, it has nothing really special going for it. The show went on break for a year and nobody really noticed or clamored for its return. Also, this show had 52 episodes and did not even attempt to do the Green Goblin proper (I saw the logline for episode 52 and it sounds like Toomes really is the endgame). They got Josh Keaton to play Norman Osborn and didn't even have him do a Goblin voice. Instead he played the Green Goblin in a LEGO special for a minute. All that's left are the Venom specials next year and hopefully we can call it a day on this.

Still have not caught up on the Superior, Goblin War stuff. Heard it's enjoyable seeing Superior on screen but that's about it.

After Peter quoted Shocktana "A man's gotta honor his responsibilities, and you're one of mine" while talking to Aunt May, I lost all reasons to complain.

I love that version of Shocker.

Still have not caught up on the Superior, Goblin War stuff. Heard it's enjoyable seeing Superior on screen but that's about it.
The stuff is at the very least entertaining, you can check the rest of the season and see some cool moments.

And yeah, Vulture is indeed the final boss of the season, and the reasoning behind it is completely bonkers. "Norman steals stuff, stole my design, stole the Goblin designs from you" Adrian talking to a captive Harry, ironically as the Goblin King. He stole from an idea thief what the idea thief stole from his son and ran with it so deep for quite a while.

Yeah, this season was a really mixed bag. I mean, I ended up really liking the Superior stuff and Otto's eventual redemption
and eventual death
were well-handled (okay, the latter was kinda over-dramatic). But the show spends so much time with him, from being the major villain to his heroic turn, that nearly everything else is overshadowed, except for somewhat Peter. Even though the Spider-Team concept didn't excite me at all, it's weird that it's taken two seasons for it to finally come to fruition. Season one rushed Miles's whole arc, yet took sweet time with Gwen and Anya, and the latter two gained powers through incredibly contrived ways.

Also, while Harry is somewhat more reasonable in the little we get of him (though not when he's building a giant mech), the Superior plot does require everyone else to act like unreasonable jerks. Max is an awful person and I'm surprised Peter crawled back to Horizon and to his old "friends" after everything that happened.

Vulture was such a boring option as the Goblin King. If they REALLY wanted to be unpredictable and not pick Norman, why not anyone else? Why not Jackal? He's been gone for a while. Actually, I would've even preferred Tinkerer. A loser villain being revealed to be a major mastermind has more novelty to it than bland Toomes.

Any other stuff that I liked from this half? I liked how Cloak and Dagger were handled. Also, I liked the idea of the Goblin Nation having different variants and sub-bosses and all that. Too bad the Goblin aesthetic in this series is so forgettable.

And yeah, Vulture is indeed the final boss of the season, and the reasoning behind it is completely bonkers. "Norman steals stuff, stole my design, stole the Goblin designs from you" Adrian talking to a captive Harry, ironically as the Goblin King. He stole from an idea thief what the idea thief stole from his son and ran with it so deep for quite a while.

Yeah, he's always been weird about his pride and reputation. To be fair, his motivation does feel consistent with his character.

All of this is pretty spot on. I've said it before but this show is just lacking a pulse, it has nothing really special going for it. The show went on break for a year and nobody really noticed or clamored for its return. Also, this show had 52 episodes and did not even attempt to do the Green Goblin proper (I saw the logline for episode 52 and it sounds like Toomes really is the endgame). They got Josh Keaton to play Norman Osborn and didn't even have him do a Goblin voice. Instead he played the Green Goblin in a LEGO special for a minute. All that's left are the Venom specials next year and hopefully we can call it a day on this.

Yeah, this season was a really mixed bag. I mean, I ended up really liking the Superior stuff and Otto's eventual redemption
and eventual death
were well-handled (okay, the latter was kinda over-dramatic). But the show spends so much time with him, from being the major villain to his heroic turn, that nearly everything else is overshadowed, except for somewhat Peter. Even though the Spider-Team concept didn't excite me at all, it's weird that it's taken two seasons for it to finally come to fruition. Season one rushed Miles's whole arc, yet took sweet time with Gwen and Anya, and the latter two gained powers through incredibly contrived ways.

Also, while Harry is somewhat more reasonable in the little we get of him (though not when he's building a giant mech), the Superior plot does require everyone else to act like unreasonable jerks. Max is an awful person and I'm surprised Peter crawled back to Horizon and to his old "friends" after everything that happened.

Vulture was such a boring option as the Goblin King. If they REALLY wanted to be unpredictable and not pick Norman, why not anyone else? Why not Jackal? He's been gone for a while. Actually, I would've even preferred Tinkerer. A loser villain being revealed to be a major mastermind has more novelty to it than bland Toomes.

Any other stuff that I liked from this half? I liked how Cloak and Dagger were handled. Also, I liked the idea of the Goblin Nation having different variants and sub-bosses and all that. Too bad the Goblin aesthetic in this series is so forgettable.

Yeah, he's always been weird about his pride and reputation. To be fair, his motivation does feel consistent with his character.

I just can't bring myself to watch this show anymore. I gave it a fair shot. If it takes multiple full seasons for a show to 'win me over' it's just not worth my time. And reading your thoughts and other descriptions of the content makes my choice not to bother even easier.

But I would like to remind you fellas, in case you forgot, a big reason why the show most likely sucks is because Dan Slott is a contributor. He cares more about Otto than Peter, that's assuming he cares about Peter at all, difficult to tell based on his ASM run, Slott's ideas might be good, sometimes, but his execution is severely lacking and he's a bad writer. His characters are shallow and without development, he puts the story before them... they're nothing more than plot devices. And he has little respect for the mythos. He cares more about his pet creations and his own legacy.

Hopefully the next show will have a more competent staff.

But I would like to remind you fellas, in case you forgot, a big reason why the show most likely sucks is because Dan Slott is a contributor. He cares more about Otto than Peter, that's assuming he cares about Peter at all, difficult to tell based on his ASM run, Slott's ideas might be good, sometimes, but his execution is severely lacking and he's a bad writer. His characters are shallow and without development, he puts the story before them... they're nothing more than plot devices. And he has little respect for the mythos. He cares more about his pet creations and his own legacy.

Slott's a contributor, but he's not a showrunner either. He might give suggestions on how to handle some stuff, but the actual showrunners make the final call. I honestly think the show handled some of his contributions better than he did, and most of my complaints are divorced from his material.

I wouldn't worry about more Otto shilling either, since
he's dead and out of the story
, but the focus on Venom and symbiotes next season doesn't sound compelling either, especially since now the symbiote can operate without Eddie Brock. :whatever:

Hopefully the next show will have a more competent staff.

It baffles me because, at least for season two, the showrunners (along with Vic Cook) also did Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters, and while not perfect, that show was a much better Spider-Man cartoon than this one. A shame Netflix only ordered 26 episodes.

I hope the next Spider-Man cartoon isn't a third show in a row where all he hangs out with are superhero-friends, or friends who all become spider-heroes, or enlists in a special government training program, or enlists in a special science school. Well, Spidey and His Amazing Friends is next and that's just a whole show about Peter, Miles, and Gwen trying to superhero together for kids so there's that going three for three. That show's gonna be for little kids so it's fine, but for the next big Spidey cartoon I'd like to see a creative team try harder instead of throwing all the spider-people in a team again because it sells toys.

I get the desire to put new spins on it by having Peter be a SHIELD agent in training leading a team of superheroes, or having him be at a fancy science school where many of his villains and super allies also originate from- but it all just fundamentally goes against one of the basic things about Spider-Man: that he's supposed to be trying to get through normal problems and normal life beyond all the superheroics.

He doesn't quit high school to enlist in a government bootcamp (I think he just dropped out of Midtown High halfway through that series just for SHIELD school), he doesn't go to a school for gifted youngsters he can hardly afford (I like that this was a plot point in the beginning of the current show's second season at least. Getting a job at the Daily Bugle to try and afford tuition is a Spider-Man problem). He has those normal people in his life and they're important because they're not superheroes or all super geniuses. He tries to balance those normal responsibilities and relationships alongside the extra struggle of being a superhero and what effects that has on his normal life.

Ultimate did not much care for the double-life struggles, or the human relationships. Mary Jane all but disappeared from the show until the final season where she gets superpowers so she can show up regularly again. It's not bad in the show or anything, but I find it problematic that they can't have relations with regular people on these shows anymore. This current show, all of the main cast is a spider-themed hero now at this point. Except for Harry, who, oh wait, he's the heroic Hobgoblin. Is it too much to ask for another Spider-Man show that won't be afraid to just try to be a Spider-Man story?

Spider-Verse and Spider-Man PS4 spoiled me last year. They were great stories that got to the core of what Spider-Man is about while also being accessible for a very wide range of people in their own ways. Those are two recent examples of doing a new adaption right and I'd argue the two recent cartoons are examples of doing it wrong.

Last edited:
but the focus on Venom and symbiotes next season doesn't sound compelling either, especially since now the symbiote can operate without Eddie Brock. :whatever:
The lack of this version of Eddie is no loss, he can't hold a camera to get a proper picture and is quick to get mad and frustrated. Makes you wonder how he managed to land a job in the first place, and even more on how he lasted as long as he did.

I hope the next Spider-Man cartoon isn't a third show in a row where all he hangs out with are superhero-friends, or friends who all become spider-heroes, or enlists in a special government training program, or enlists in a special science school. Well, Spidey and His Amazing Friends is next and that's just a whole show about Peter, Miles, and Gwen trying to superhero together for kids so there's that going three for three. That show's gonna be for little kids so it's fine, but for the next big Spidey cartoon I'd like to see a creative team try harder instead of throwing all the spider-people in a team again because it sells toys.
I don't have to mention that show then.

He doesn't quit high school to enlist in a government bootcamp (I think he just dropped out of Midtown High halfway through that series just for SHIELD school).
I first thought he graduated Midtown, upon rewatch I paid attention to Harry and MJ still being in Midtown post transfer.

Slott's a contributor, but he's not a showrunner either. He might give suggestions on how to handle some stuff, but the actual showrunners make the final call. I honestly think the show handled some of his contributions better than he did, and most of my complaints are divorced from his material.

I wouldn't worry about more Otto shilling either, since
he's dead and out of the story
, but the focus on Venom and symbiotes next season doesn't sound compelling either, especially since now the symbiote can operate without Eddie Brock. :whatever:

It baffles me because, at least for season two, the showrunners (along with Vic Cook) also did Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters, and while not perfect, that show was a much better Spider-Man cartoon than this one. A shame Netflix only ordered 26 episodes.

Slott's paw print is all over this show. Many of the story elements and characters are pulled from his run. While he may not be the final decision maker, his influence is apparent.

I haven't watched certain episodes so I can't comment on improvements or lack thereof of Slott's stories from the comic to the show. But a stiff breeze could probably do a better job with them too. I'm not surprised stuff is better. Like I said, Slott will have good ideas from time to time, it's his execution that sucks.

Yeah I watched and loved Stretch. It's a shame it didn't get a 3rd season.

I get the desire to put new spins on it by having Peter be a SHIELD agent in training leading a team of superheroes, or having him be at a fancy science school where many of his villains and super allies also originate from- but it all just fundamentally goes against one of the basic things about Spider-Man: that he's supposed to be trying to get through normal problems and normal life beyond all the superheroics.

He doesn't quit high school to enlist in a government bootcamp (I think he just dropped out of Midtown High halfway through that series just for SHIELD school), he doesn't go to a school for gifted youngsters he can hardly afford (I like that this was a plot point in the beginning of the current show's second season at least. Getting a job at the Daily Bugle to try and afford tuition is a Spider-Man problem). He has those normal people in his life and they're important because they're not superheroes or all super geniuses. He tries to balance those normal responsibilities and relationships alongside the extra struggle of being a superhero and what effects that has on his normal life.

Ultimate did not much care for the double-life struggles, or the human relationships. Mary Jane all but disappeared from the show until the final season where she gets superpowers so she can show up regularly again. It's not bad in the show or anything, but I find it problematic that they can't have relations with regular people on these shows anymore. This current show, all of the main cast is a spider-themed hero now at this point. Except for Harry, who, oh wait, he's the heroic Hobgoblin. Is it too much to ask for another Spider-Man show that won't be afraid to just try to be a Spider-Man story?

Spider-Verse and Spider-Man PS4 spoiled me last year. They were great stories that got to the core of what Spider-Man is about while also being accessible for a very wide range of people in their own ways. Those are two recent examples of doing a new adaption right and I'd argue the two recent cartoons are examples of doing it wrong.

Right. And that's honestly how this show felt to me, it was a 'let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.' Instead of creating a solid story, I felt, there was a sense that the show was more about creating big bangs and explosions. The idea of creating 'wow, that looks cool.' Style vs substance. Which again is exactly how Slott writes a book. Peter is running his own tech company, jet setting around the world and tons of other spider people, gadgets, etc.

The lack of this version of Eddie is no loss, he can't hold a camera to get a proper picture and is quick to get mad and frustrated. Makes you wonder how he managed to land a job in the first place, and even more on how he lasted as long as he did.

I mean, part of Venom's (as a villain) appeal is that Eddie cannot take responsibility for his own failures and shortcomings, making him a foil to Peter/Spidey. Without him, he's just an evil alien blob. It's boring.

They actually didn't have a bad take on Eddie. His voice actor was good (when he wasn't Venom) and encapsulated his lack of responsibility perfectly. He does a poor job, but still gets paid and keeps his apartment, which is honestly something to be grateful in today's poor economy. He's creepy without the symbiote. But the Venom design itself is poor and the modulated voice is awful. And removing the little bits that made him interesting and Venomifying other characters is a bad call.

So Patrick Brown was the lead designer and key art for the show but his stuff is not used as much. But now he is getting credit for this coming season cause they are changing the art style to March his art. I suspect Marvel Studios is behind it, I could be wrong but we will see and I don't think MS will release medicore looking products.

I was suspecting the lower episode count might mean a higher animation budget for this final season. I don't know if that's the case but the makeover I'm hopeful will at least make the show a little more appealing to the eyes because pretty much everybody that saw Patrick's promo art for the show before seeing what the actual show looked like was hit with a wave of disappointment. The vibrant energy in his art was totally absent from the way the show actually looked. It's weird cause most of the designs in the show look nothing like the promo art. Spidey himself is similar but they altered the coloring on several elements, and none of the villains look like they do in the show, either. It's just weird, usually cartoons have promo art to go along with the show on products to not really confuse the brand.

Does Venom World mean "Bye by secret ID"? If so I'll Riot.

Apparently, Mary Jane Watson is making her formal debut this season, voiced by Felicia Day. They're also bringing in other symbiote characters like Scream, Riot, and Scorn.

This was a mediocre finale that apparently resolved a dangling plot thread from Avengers Assemble that wasn't handled before that show ended, and I don't know if their original plan was to end it here or if the runners of this show chose to put a cap on that bit because they saw something that needs to be resolved or if it happened because Avengers runners wanted to close it here, which is lazy either way.

This episode, the sixth episode of this season, is the finale of this series, and I don't know if there is another show that is yet to be finalized or if this was the final curtain, but there are some plot threads left dangling and will never be resolved for this world version of certain characters...

Swarm? Missing
Lizard? Missing
Raft prisoners? I don't know what happened to them to be honest, and I'm not sure if anyone knows what truly happened to them in the end
Jackal? Ignored
Norman Osborn? Got another decapitation and nobody bats an eye, then he was left with a baah

I'm one of the fewer people you see on the internet who actually enjoys the awkward Ultimate Spider-Man series, and was happy that it ended with plots resolved (most of the bigger ones at least), and almost nothing is shoved to the sides cause the developers ran out of chance to finish their planned show. This.... I don't know what I should say about this show but good riddance to bland mediocrity with some ugly character designs.

Last edited:
I just wanna say the "Maximum Venom" line in the final episode was one of the most cringy things I've heard in a while. I know it's a kid show but you don't have to be that lame about it. Seconded to saying good riddance to this one.

I think this has to be the end of the show as the voice actor for Spidey recently said he hasn't been back to record any more and they started working on this season 2 years ago, right as one of the last things to come out of Marvel Animation before they started shuttering their doors. In that case it makes it all the more strange they leave so many things dangling, because while I get you want to leave certain things in the air for future stories they had to know it was probably going to be their last season.

They give it a pretty optimistic and clean cut ending for a lot of the main characters but everything else is really unresolved. With this shorter season being called Maximum Venom I think they probably would have been better served mostly just focusing on symbiote stuff instead of trying to introduce new swerves last minute like the Swarm stuff. It's just odd to do so last minute.

Yeah, that was an underwhelming finale to a badly-paced and structured season. I actually liked Mary Jane here, but they barely used her, so her blossoming romantic relationship with Peter fell flat. Same with Peter's connection to Max.

Raft prisoners? I don't know what happened to them to be honest, and I'm not sure if anyone knows what truly happened to them in the end
Jackal? Ignored
Norman Osborn? Got another decapitation and nobody bats an eye, then he was left with a baah

Are you talking about the ones Regent locked up? I'm assuming they got moved to the Raft.

Jackal wasn't ignored. He was defeated and he likely went to jail. Norman didn't last with his symbiote and he was turned back to normal. He's probably in jail too.

Are you talking about the ones Regent locked up? I'm assuming they got moved to the Raft.

Jackal wasn't ignored. He was defeated and he likely went to jail. Norman didn't last with his symbiote and he was turned back to normal. He's probably in jail too.
I guess I can say that is how forgettable this show is to me. This is the stuff I remember from it:

1. Obnoxious Peter Parker interrupting the presentation in Oscorp in the origin segment
  2. Pigeons.
  3. Spectacular Spider-Man homage with Vulture and Max Modell.
  4. Academies.
  5. How Peter was accepted into the Brain Trust in Horizon Labs is how he got accepted to the academy with the same name in this show.
  6. They made Scorpion boring, and I like him as a villain.
  7. Lightning Butt voice for Mysterio.
  8. Superior Spider-Man
  9. Taking cues from Web of Spider-Man issue 1.
  10. Regent happened
  11. Spider-Man, Cho's Hulk, and Riri Williams outdid each one in being obnoxious in one episode of Maximum Venom.
  12. Annoying Groot.
  13. Boring Moon Knight episode.
  14. Cringe, lots of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back