How would you describe Batman Returns?

I'm not to keen on Batman Returns, but does it suck....no it doesn't!

Huh? A troll because he is multi-quote replying to someone who is doing exactly the same thing??

In regards to Catwoman, this whole "open to interpretation" argument is weak. The fact is, she was revived by cats and spends the rest of the film acting like a cat right down to being able to survive being killed (9 lives!) and become agile enough to jump, climb and cartwheel around.

It is plainly obvious that Burton was taking a supernatural approach to Catwoman, having her revived by cats and inheriting their characteristics. The alternative explanation:

Selina was a supreme gymnastics expert and advanced in martial arts who just happens to spend her days as a humble secretary. When she miraculously survives a fall, cats surround her for no other reason than to wake her up from unconsciousness (cats do this :whatever:). She then finally decides to put her gymnastics and martial arts training to good use (not to mention her great skill with a whip!) to get back at the man who almost killed her. And of course ignore it when he literally tells Shreck how many times she has been "killed".

Alternatively, you can interpret it the only way it was presented. That is, a humble secretary is reborn as a half woman-half cat in some kind of supernatural event that is never explained.

Sorry but the idea that Burton left her situation up for interpretation gives the film far too much credit. As it is, it works in Burton's film which is really a twisted fairytale with a Batman story integrated throughout.

What a troll. You're not suppose to take everything in Batman Returns literally because Tim Burton is a weirdo and he wants his movies to be vague and artistic, that's why there's so many WTF moments. I knew this when I was 7 years old.

Old Batman documentary about Bill Dee Williams as Harvey Dent.

Last edited:
I think this is on Batman 89 SE DVD....

Man he could have made great Two-Face in Batman 3. WB & Schumacher totally messed up the character and Billy Dee Williams was right about it.

No, I liked Batman Returns...a lot actually. I think I prefer it (at times) over the first film.

Despite what Jett thinks I find it to be a very effective Batman movie that works both as a Burton art film and something that represented that dark Batman comics of the late 80s, early 90s. While I really hate Burton's "gothic" style these days it really worked for this film and he twist on the Penguin character was actually pretty refreshing and different. While I would love to see a Phillip Seymour Hoffman take on the businessman side of Penguin, Devito was really fun to watch. I even dressed up as the Penguin for Halloween the year the movie came out.

It's not a bad film at all...and when you think about what awaiting the franchise three years later...how could you even call it a bad film?

What a troll. You're not suppose to take everything in Batman Returns literally because Tim Burton is a weirdo and he wants his movies to be vague and artistic, that's why there's so many WTF moments. I knew this when I was 7 years old.

How am I a troll? :whatever:

^ Well, it's simple, look at your posts.

Anyways, I think BR is very misunderstood and very underrated.

Billy Dee would of made a great Two-Face. it would of been very interesting to see it. Actually, I never realized this was Dent until I got older. Not because of hisi ethticity but because I'm not very observant and didn't listen to some of the dialogue. And the big sign which said Harvey Dent on it. I just always really liked his role. If you could just picture Billy Dee in Eckhart's role in TDK something along those lines I think he could of done very well.

panda_eater said:

:hehe:

I watched this film again recently and I didn't hate it as much as I previousy did.
But it got me thinking, is The Penguin supposed to represent some kind of Antichrist figure? I've heard the comparison made before.
Did Burton use the Biblical figure as inspiration for Oswalds rise and fall?

I watched this film again recently and I didn't hate it as much as I previousy did.
But it got me thinking, is The Penguin supposed to represent some kind of Antichrist figure? I've heard the comparison made before.

No, the inspiration for the Penguin in Batman Returns was the old horror movies featuring tragic sympathetic monsters - specifically The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) and The Phantom of the Opera (1925) both starring Lon Chaney.

Last edited:
While I like Batman Returns, I do find it slightly overrated.

One thing I did notice when I re-watched all the old films, though, was this:

Everyone says The Riddler and Two-Face in Batman Forever were Joker rip-offs, but did anyone else see Poison Ivy in Batman & Robin almost being an EXACT duplicate of Catwoman from Batman Returns?

That said, it was done well by Michelle, not by Uma.

no, it doesn't suck, and I really like the movie.

There have been parallels to Moses and Jesus.

His parents threw him in a river and he floated down that river to be adopted by a world of people he grows up to become the ruler of.

He dies at 33 years old.

While I like Batman Returns, I do find it slightly overrated.

One thing I did notice when I re-watched all the old films, though, was this:

Everyone says The Riddler and Two-Face in Batman Forever were Joker rip-offs, but did anyone else see Poison Ivy in Batman & Robin almost being an EXACT duplicate of Catwoman from Batman Returns?

That said, it was done well by Michelle, not by Uma.

I don't even think BR was regarded that highly in the first place. Not on the terms of B89. It's split with fans. So I wouldn't go as far to say it's overrated.

Batman Returns is great. My biggest problem with it is the penguins with rocket launchers. Huge WTF moment for me. Otherwise, though, I enjoy the heck out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"