How would you describe Batman Returns?

B

Batman2011

I think it does because first of all look at the title why do they call it Batman Returns? Where did he go? If he just stayed in Gotham City they should not have called it Batman Returns because he didn't go anywhere.

Second how does Selina Kyle survive all the physical abuse they put her through? Is she a female James Bond in black vinyl? Because that's the only excuse I can think of. Also why is Christopher Walken in this movie? What is Walken's purpose in this movie? Shreck doesn't do anything diabolical besides pushing Selina out of a seven story window.

Why did they have to choose The Penguin as the next villian? Why couldn't they choose Two-Face instead? By the way what happened to Vicki Vale and Alexander Knox? They just magically disappeared and that's stupid.

I think it does because first of all look at the title why do they call it Batman Returns? Where did he go?

His return to the silver screen. I can tell by the way you type that you could've figured that out with a little thought.

Second how does Selina Kyle survive all the physical abuse they put her through? Is she a female James Bond in black vinyl? Because that's the only excuse I can think of.

It's fiction. Batman stories for decades have stretched laws of reality to create wonder and mystery. It's not that big of a stretch in this case, either. Many in our world of reality have fallen from great heights out of a building, and lived to tell the tale. Others have died, and for whatever reason, their heart began beating again.

As long as her head wasn't blown off with a shotgun, and then all the pieces of her skull and brain tissue magically piece themselves back together, we're doing fine.

Also why is Christopher Walken in this movie? What is Walken's purpose in this movie? Shreck doesn't do anything diabolical besides pushing Selina out of a seven story window.

Try to recall his reason for the attempt on her life. She had found out about _________. Watch the movie again. Pay close attention, and I'm confident that the answer will come to you.

Why did they have to choose The Penguin as the next villian? Why couldn't they choose Two-Face instead?

This is probably your only question that doesn't have smartass undertones. It's actually a good question. Billy Dee Williams was in fact signed with a contract for the role of Two-Face in Batman Returns.

I don't know. I've never heard a clear-cut answer for this. Interestingly enough, according to this article, while the script was being written, it seems the part of Max originally belonged to Harvey Dent.

Anyway. I thought the Penguin was an okay villain.

By the way what happened to Vicki Vale and Alexander Knox? They just magically disappeared and that's stupid.

A staple of Batman is that he rarely keeps a girlfriend that could be considered "steady." This is alluded to in Batman (1989). Batman considers, and wants very much to settle down, but his mission as a hero will always be his unavoidable priority. He has to be Batman.

I think it does because first of all look at the title why do they call it Batman Returns? Where did he go? If he just stayed in Gotham City they should not have called it Batman Returns because he didn't go anywhere.

:whatever:

He was returning to the big screen.

Second how does Selina Kyle survive all the physical abuse they put her through? Is she a female James Bond in black vinyl? Because that's the only excuse I can think of.

Did you miss the part where she was revived by the cats? She had nine lives. She could die nine times.

It's fiction. Like Harvey Dent survivng half his face being burnt away, or Joker surviving a fall into toxic chemicals.

Also why is Christopher Walken in this movie?

Because he's awesome.

What is Walken's purpose in this movie?

Well, lets see:

- He created Catwoman
- He backed The Penguin's rise into Gotham
- Set up Penguin as a candidate for mayor
- Was a lynchpin in Catwoman's vendetta
- He showed the corrupt businessman angle. Something Bruce Wayne could have been. Just like The Penguin showed the spurned son angle, and Catwoman showed the angry vigilante angle.

Shreck doesn't do anything diabolical besides pushing Selina out of a seven story window.

How many diabolical things did Carmine Falcone and the other mobsters in Nolan's movies do?

As mentioned above, Schreck was a firm suppoerter of Penguin's campaign of villainy. Even suggesting to him that he use the Red Triangle gang to attack Gotham in order to make the current Mayor look bad, and cause a re-election campaign to happen.
He was also planning on building some power plant that would drain Gotham of it's power. Something Selina accidently stumbled upon in the protected files. That's why he tried to kill her. And he shot her and Batman in the finale.

Add to that he was a class act all thru the movie.

Why did they have to choose The Penguin as the next villian? Why couldn't they choose Two-Face instead?

Because Penguin was more popular back then. He was the next big name villain after Joker. Along with Catwoman.

By the way what happened to Vicki Vale and Alexander Knox? They just magically disappeared and that's stupid.

Man, did you watch this movie? Did you not see the scene with Bruce and Selina in Wayne Manor, where Bruce explains that Vicki left because she couldn't deal with his duality.

As for Knox, who cares? He wasn't a majorly important character. Yeah, would have been nice to see him again, but he was not essential. Like the way Flass didn't return in the Dark Knight.

He wasn't missed.

As for Knox, who cares? He wasn't a majorly important character. Yeah, would have been nice to see him again, but he was not essential. Like the way Flass didn't return in the Dark Knight.

He wasn't missed.

Flass had a good reason for not returning though. He was poisoned he didn't survive the events of Batman Begins. It's like Eckhart (another fat crooked cop) getting shot in Batman '89. Knox wasn't poisoned or shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
:whatever:

He was returning to the big screen.

Did you miss the part where she was revived by the cats? She had nine lives. She could die nine times.

It's fiction. Like Harvey Dent survivng half his face being burnt away, or Joker surviving a fall into toxic chemicals.

Because he's awesome.

Well, lets see:

- He created Catwoman
- He backed The Penguin's rise into Gotham
- Set up Penguin as a candidate for mayor
- Was a lynchpin in Catwoman's vendetta
- He showed the corrupt businessman angle. Something Bruce Wayne could have been. Just like The Penguin showed the spurned son angle, and Catwoman showed the angry vigilante angle.

How many diabolical things did Carmine Falcone and the other mobsters in Nolan's movies do?

As mentioned above, Schreck was a firm suppoerter of Penguin's campaign of villainy. Even suggesting to him that he use the Red Triangle gang to attack Gotham in order to make the current Mayor look bad, and cause a re-election campaign to happen.
He was also planning on building some power plant that would drain Gotham of it's power. Something Selina accidently stumbled upon in the protected files. That's why he tried to kill her. And he shot her and Batman in the finale.

Add to that he was a class act all thru the movie.

Because Penguin was more popular back then. He was the next big name villain after Joker. Along with Catwoman.

Man, did you watch this movie? Did you not see the scene with Bruce and Selina in Wayne Manor, where Bruce explains that Vicki left because she couldn't deal with his duality.

He wasn't missed.

^ I agree with everything said above!

Flass had a good reason for not returning though. He was poisoned he didn't survive the events of Batman Begins. It's like Eckhart (another fat crooked cop) getting shot in Batman '89. Knox wasn't poisoned or shot.

What? How did he not survive? He was knocked unconscious by Gordon and then handcuffed when he was going to shoot those kids. Nobody said he was dead.

Tim Burton simply didn't want to call it Batman II. He didn't want to think of the movie as a direct sequel, which is why he threw out Sam Hamm's original draft that had Vicki Vale in it.

It's a movie, dude.

Also why is Christopher Walken in this movie? What is Walken's purpose in this movie? Shreck doesn't do anything diabolical besides pushing Selina out of a seven story window.

He serves the dramatic purpose of creating Catwoman and driving Penquin's actions during the second act.

WB wanted Penguin because of the TV show popularity of the character. Burton only wanted Catwoman to begin with, and wasn't excited about the Penguin until he was able to alter him into the sewer dwelling freak we saw in the film.

Vicki was in Sam Hamm's original script for the sequel, but Burton wanted nothing to do with a direct sequel.

If you have so many problems with the movie why even waste time by creating pompous hate threads.

If you have so many problems with the movie why even waste time by creating pompous hate threads.

Because it's what keeps these boards going.

Oh and no I don't think Batman Returns sucks quite the opposite actually. To me it's one of the boldest superhero movies of all time. A film sprinkled with so much symbolism that it makes each viewing as engaging and entertaining as the last.

:dry:

He returns to the big screen.

Hardly a reason to say the movie sucked.

Second how does Selina Kyle survive all the physical abuse they put her through?

How does Rambo survives? How does Jack Bauer? Or John McClane?

Is she a female James Bond in black vinyl? Because that's the only excuse I can think of.

I'm sorry? Does James Bond have the monopoly for surviving beyond human capacity in an action movie? The ONLY excuse you can think of? Really?

Again? Is this a reason for saying the movie sucks?

So your dvd is skipping the scenes where he manipulates the city to build a power plant, where he manipulates mass media to make the Penguin the major so he can get the permit for the powerplant, where we know he has poisoned Gotham water, built defective buildings and killed his partner Fred Atkins?

If I were you I'd call tech service.

There's no reason why they should have chosen Two-Face. In this collection of weak excuses to bash the movie this is by far the lamest.

Nobody has magically dissapeared.

Vicki was mentioned; her relationship with Bruce didn't work out so she probably left Gotham the same she went to Gotham in B89.

Knox was totally irrelevant for the story and movies don't waste time on irrelevant stuff.

So far, nothing on your post indicates suckiness here.

Flass had a good reason for not returning though. He was poisoned he didn't survive the events of Batman Begins.

Excuse me???

Can you point out where is it even suggested that Flass died?

For all we know Batman sent Luicius to make antidote for all Gotham. Plus, wasn't Jonathan Crane poisoned too? And guess what, he DID come back for the sequel?

It's like Eckhart (another fat crooked cop) getting shot in Batman '89. Knox wasn't poisoned or shot.

Knox was just irrelevant.

Flass could have been there too. He wasn't shot - as Eckhardt was - nor was he suggested to have died. Another one of your magic dissapearances? :o

What? How did he not survive? He was knocked unconscious by Gordon and then handcuffed when he was going to shoot those kids. Nobody said he was dead.

Excuse me???

Can you point out where is it even suggested that Flass died?

For all we know Batman sent Luicius to make antidote for all Gotham. Plus, wasn't Jonathan Crane poisoned too? And guess what, he DID come back for the sequel?

Knox was just irrelevant.

Flass could have been there too. He wasn't shot - as Eckhardt was - nor was he suggested to have died. Another one of your magic dissapearances? :o

Flass is a vegetal. He lost weight.

Flass.jpg

Flass2.jpg

http://www.thegothamtimes.com/issue1/page2.htm
http://batman.wikibruce.com/Arnold_Flass
Go to the last part on the GPD Surveillance of December 1.
http://batman.wikibruce.com/Bettyshouseofpies.com#Transcript_of_Dec._1_Sting
This is the audio.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/5303240a97c5dd/

From the viral marketing.

Why did I bother? He made me laugh with the falafel :woot:

Second how does Selina Kyle survive all the physical abuse they put her through? Is she a female James Bond in black vinyl? Because that's the only excuse I can think of. Also why is Christopher Walken in this movie? What is Walken's purpose in this movie? Shreck doesn't do anything diabolical besides pushing Selina out of a seven story window.

Why did they have to choose The Penguin as the next villian? Why couldn't they choose Two-Face instead? By the way what happened to Vicki Vale and Alexander Knox? They just magically disappeared and that's stupid.

Why didn't they make the movie I wanted to see... why, why, why????

You're seriously asking this? It sucks because of the title. That's genius. :o

Did you fall asleep during the movie?

Who cares? That was over 18 years ago. Two Face has been done twice now, so you should be happy. As for Vale, go back and watch Returns again. Knox was one of the worst characters from Batman. Why bring him back? Why would he be relevant to the story?

WOW!! What an ignorant thread if I do say so myself!!

the reasons that the OP gave for not likeing batman returns are extremly weak and immature (i wonder how old he is). its a brilliant film and one of my favorites. believe it or not, it touches on alot of subjects that most comic book movies would rather not talk about or skip on. its a rare gem, and one of those rare comic films where casting was perfect or near-perfect. give me any comci book based movie and i can pick out someone who doesnt belong or who totally sucked. with BB it as katioe holmes, with TDK it was maggie gyllenhall, with forever it was jim carry (although he did fit the part, he was just rediculous), with B&R it was EVERYONE. with B89, i would B89 is near perfect as well i didnt hate anyone in that, even knox (i dont get the knox hate, he was a pretty decent little character). but casting for Returns, incredible.

Well Batman Returns still had that fat-ass Pat Hingle (Comissioner Gordon) and Batman Begins had Gary Oldman (Jim Gordon) who was MUCH better than Pat Hingle. Because Oldman didn't have a southern accent and Oldman actually looked like Gordon from Batman: Year One.

I’m not especially fond of Returns. Really and ultimately I only disliked Penguin, but he was sooo much that the film tanked for me because of him. Catwoman segments are damned near flawless in my opinion. Looking at this films whole, I would rank it as highly as ‘89, Begins, and Dark Knight if it were just Catwoman. That’s how much I enjoyed her. I really don’t think anyone had an issue with her. Firstly she looks absolutely gorgeous. That much is obvious. Her scenes were absolutely fantastic. She truly blends into the gothic comic-style of the set design perfectly. The film looks absolutely beautiful. The way Batman should look personally. Nolan's Gotham’s too...what's the word...casual. It’s just background. Burton's Gotham's a character in-and-of itself. It adds so much flavor and film noir atmosphere to the picture. Batman himself wasn’t an issue for me either. He’s no better or worse then in 1989 IMO. It’s just the freaking Penguin…Ugh!

He's nothing like the Penguin whatsoever. I'm at a loss for words as to why they even called him the Penguin. Outside being a stocky and pointy nosed man with umbrellas...he's nothing alike. He’s now suddenly a rejected X-men mutant. His personality is literally the polar opposite of the established iconic Cobblepot. I’d love to know just why they did this to him, what the justifications were. He went from being this regal, gentlemanly, and sophisticated criminal of class to some crude, disgusting, and perverted circus freak. What the hell? I’m not one of those people that’s outraged by the slightest alterations to film interpretations, but this was so drastic that I don’t feel they even warranted the same name. The Red-triangle gang didn’t mesh with Penguin either. I always found it just a pathetic ploy to throw in some Joker clown oriented moments. Then his plot to control Gotham was absolutely ridiculous. Missile-armed penguins? Giant Rubber Ducky vehicles? Am I supposed to take this seriously? Completely ruined the film for me. Though there is one scene between Batman and Penguin in which I felt I was watching the Penguin: “Things change”. That’s a great scene…

The way I always put it: Batman Returns was too much Burton and not enough Batman.

Last edited:
Well Batman Returns still had that fat-ass Pat Hingle (Comissioner Gordon) and Batman Begins had Gary Oldman (Jim Gordon) who was MUCH better than Pat Hingle. Because Oldman didn't have a southern accent and Oldman actually looked like Gordon from Batman: Year One.

Fatasses and southern accent = suckiness!!! FACT!!!

I can't believe this thread has provoked people to actually respond defensively.

ha...

I got the impression that in Burton's Batman, he just showed up when there was serious trouble. That's why he is just sitting around waiting for the Bat signal. Instead, the Batman from the comics stalks Gotham at night regardless if the police call for him. So, he returns to deal with the Penguin.

It's supposed to be more supernatural with Burton's universe. She's brought back to life by cats and becomes half cat, half woman. Much like Penguin not only looks the part but is also born a monster, raised by Penguins. Burton took the ideas from the comics and made them literal for his films. Interesting even if it isn't faithful

Yes he does.

Because they chose Penguin and Catwoman not Two-Face. How's that an issue? Vicki Vale and Knox didn't return because Burton was making the Batman film he wanted to do, from scratch. That's why Gotham looks so different and why the characters are more fairytale-like in comparison to the first Batman which he has openly stated he had limited control over the final product. Unfortunately, Burton doesn't really get Batman but he did re-introduce the darker version to mainstream audiences which is important.

Do you honestly think that Year One Gordon is the only character design Jim Gordon has had in his 60+ years in creation?

Gordon1955.jpg

Do you also criticize Heath Ledger's Joker for having long greasy hair, cut smile, and sloppily applied make up? Because comic book Joker never had that, and you seem to be an extreme stickler for staying true to the comics.

No I don't think it sucks It's Burton movie and I like his films.

BR is very entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"