Mass Shootings/Acts of Violence Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Paroxysm, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Paroxysm Registered

Wow, another mass shooting? Something has to be done because this is just getting crazy.

2. Midnyte_Sun Medianoche de Sol

My heart goes out to the victims and the brave first responder who was wounded. Sikhs are some of the nicest people I have ever met and I wish people would not judge them for their beards and turbans. This is tragic.

3. lordofthenerds Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Goddamnit America. I wonder how many mass shootings it will take for us to revise that 2nd Amendment.

4. Paroxysm Registered

5. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Registered

Ya ever since 9/11 the Sikhs have been getting a raw deal because a lot of ignorant people just assume they are Muslim based on their appearance. This is shameful and my heart and prayers go out to those affected by this tragedy.

I personally don't think gun control is the answer to these recent string of shootings because if a crazy person is intent on getting guns and carrying out these crimes than they are going to figure out how to get their hands on the weapons they want one way or another. I honestly have no clue what should be done.

I find it disgusting that here in America in 2012 you can't go to worship at your choice of temple without having to worry about some ignorant ****wad coming to harm you and your family because they think every person that is different from them is a terrorist. You shouldn't have to be strapped to go and worship your faith, it goes against why this country was founded in the first place.

6. Kelly #RESIST

And wow, before we go to the political......

Prayers go out to those families who lost loved ones, and those in surgery right now and in the hospital from injuries.

Geeez people.....

Press conference is happening now...

7. Scourge2099 Nihilistic Zombie Ninja

That sucks. Must've been some idiots who think Sikhs are Muslims.

8. Kane52630 The Cone-Zone

Funny how the media is calling this "domestic terrorism" while the theater shooting isn't considered one. :rolleyes:

9. TheOnlyOmega Registered

Well, this shooting was obviously politically/religiously motivated, the theater massacre wasn't.

10. Paroxysm Registered

So a hate crime.

11. Kelly #RESIST

No.....the media did not "just" call it that, the police chief that JUST did the press conference said that the FBI is calling it that.....

12. Kane52630 The Cone-Zone

Both are acts of domestic terrorism. They just want to find a reason to push this terrible stereotype even further.

13. TheOnlyOmega Registered

While yes both are acts of terrorism in yours eyes. However according to the US National Security Strategy it is defined as "premeditated, politically motivated violence against innocents". The theater incident was premeditated but not politically motivated. This incident is both.

14. lordofthenerds Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

We can say our hearts go out to the families all we want, but the way I see it, that doesn't do anything. It isn't about getting political, it's about making sure this doesn't happen again. Maybe gun control isn't the answer. However, evidence indicates that with tighter gun regulation, shootings decrease. There are countries out there with much tighter gun regulations than the U.S. and, in correlation, have much lower rates of murders by firearm. In 2002, the U.S. was ranked #4 on the wrong end of that list.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

Furthermore, by rate of murder per capita, the U.S. is the leader among modern western nations.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
    66% of these murders occured by firearm from 2000 to 2008.
    http://sbcoalition.org/2011/04/gun-violence-and-the-census-sobering-statistics/

Is this because Americans are more psychopathic than the rest of the world or because every American psychopath and their grandmother can easily purchase an AK-47? You tell me.

15. Kelly #RESIST

Apparently you missed the whole Aurora shooting thread, because if you had read anywhere through that.....you would know that you are "preaching to the choir" with me....

16. Scourge2099 Nihilistic Zombie Ninja

You know in America you have to go through a background check to purchase any firearm right ?

17. Paroxysm Registered

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/07/mental-health-crime-rates-and-mass-shootings-a-timeline/

18. Paroxysm Registered

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_shows_in_the_United_States

19. Scourge2099 Nihilistic Zombie Ninja

America isn't the only country with a "blackmarket". It's impossible to shut them all down.

20. Kable24 Member of the NRA

Oh, please. Don't you know the ones on here who know nothing about guns and the gun buying process thinks you can walk into any Quickie mart, buy a Coke, a Snickers and an full auto Uzi with 100 round mags. Sorry, clips.

That was a big old tub of sarcasm. Now, please to the uninformed who have never fired a gun, bought a gun, touched a gun or gone through any type of certification on a gun please educate me on guns. Because, I'm sure you know everything about firearms from Wikipedia. :whatever:

21. Paroxysm Registered

I know but you said...

22. Scourge2099 Nihilistic Zombie Ninja

It's because the stricter gun control law people keep saying every one of these mass shooters purchased their guns legally. The ones with no previous criminal backgrounds did , but the others either stole them from people who purchased them legally and used them responsibly or they bought them through illegal means.

23. Spuzz The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Would be interesting to find out how many shootings occur in America compared to other places. I know I don't follow the local, say, Paris news so I don't hear about many shootings elsewhere.

Sure seems like we get a lot of these. What the hell is wrong with the world

24. Kelly #RESIST

Dial it down guys, there is no reason for that kind of posting....this is the only warning.

25. Scourge2099 Nihilistic Zombie Ninja

There was that dude in France who shot and killed a bunch of people over the span of a week a few months ago . Among the ones who died were some Jewish kids.

#25 Scourge2099, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012