Mass Shootings/Acts of Violence Discussion Thread

Who cares who CNN is pinning it on. That's not even something to get uppity about (no offence to you, I mean in general). People are seeming to forget that a bunch of pour souls are dead. Nothing will bring them back. Not pointing fingers, nor pointing fingers at those who are pointing fingers.

I'm deeply saddened by this. :csad:
Well, it sadden you even more then CNN is using this tragedy to discredit political opponents.

It's upsetting, but it's even more upsetting that people are giving them the attention. It saddens me that people are making this into a huge political debate. And it doesn't "sadden me more". The most upsetting thing about this entire thing, is that seven people were killed. SEVEN lives were lost because of idiocy and hate.

It's upsetting, but it's even more upsetting that people are giving them the attention. It saddens me that people are making this into a huge political debate. And it doesn't "sadden me more". The most upsetting thing about this entire thing, is that seven people were killed. SEVEN lives were lost because of idiocy and hate.

It seems that the political agenda today is, don't waste a tragedy....and that doesn't sadden me, it pisses me off that they think we are that stupid. The 6 people dead....THAT saddens me.

They were all salivating over the Aurora theater shooting too.

They should be ashamed. But that would require having the capacity for basic human emotions.

They were all salivating over the Aurora theater shooting too.

They should be ashamed. But that would require having the capacity for basic human emotions.

They aren't supposed to have emotion, they are the media....you know they are only reporting the facts, come on Schlosser........:o

*insert sarcasm anywhere in my post, it will fit*

Seriously though Schlosser, I think a good portion of the blame goes to the viewers...they use the most outlandish, provocative footage to get the ratings, and it works. We the people, love a train wreck...

Was this a copycat attack from the Colorado shooting at all?

It feels like this kind of hatred and violence in America will never stop. Is anybody safe anymore?

Ignorance...and the media does not help...

I do an activity in my classes, before we begin our study of religions....where they have to get out a sheet of paper and pen. I write a word up on the board and they are to right the first thing that pops in their head...and then we share them. Of course before lunch I get, tacos, hamburgers, all kids of stuff, but for the most part they play along.....the first word I put up is "Islam"....I get, raghead, 7-Eleven, terrorism, oil, theocracy, death, Muhammad, Quran, mosque, Iraq, Iran, etc....most are negative.

Then I put up the word Christian, I get....United States, Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, pretty much all of the Christian religions, Jesus, white man (yes, I get white man), preacher, priest, God, communion, church, mass, mostly positive, but I have gotten, hypocrisy before...I was very intrigued by that answer, come to find out, this student was agnostic...

Then we compare the negative to the positive of each religion, and I ask them where they learned these things about each religion. For Islam, they said, #1. the internet, #2. TV, #3, church, #4. school.... Where they learned about Christianity, they said, #1. church, #2. family, #3. friends, #4 media.

I will say this.....over the past 12 years that I have been doing this activity, the negatives for Islam, have decreased each year...
The media sensationalizes the hell out of everything especially anything to do with Muslims post 9/11.

There are over a billion muslims in the world and the amount involved in terrorism isn't anywhere near as much as the media would have you believe and even then its an insult to islam to even call these terrorist muslims.

The muslim population of many western countries is very tiny. It only makes up 0.8% of the U.S population so how some sections of the media can talk about islam taking over is just stupid.

In my school we had a class called religious education from the age of 12 to 16 which was compulsory. It was a couple one hour a week lessons in which we learned about all the major religions and their cultures.

I went to a regular state comprehensive school and looking back now I think it was a good thing to learn that stuff.

Ignorance and fear breeds hate and distrust.
You know, despite myself being of Christian faith, I think I need to speak on the extreme prejudice we still heap on other religions in this country. Honestly, i hadn't realized it was so ba duntil I saw my grandmother last night, who was watching some televangelist on TV. In his sermon, he proceeded to talk about how we should be wary of Muslims, because all Muslims were out to destroy us and our nation. There wasn't any mention of the normal worshipping people, no mention of our neighbors and co-workers and friends who genuinely aren't out to hurt anyone, but clearly labled that all Muslims wanted was for us to be destroyed.

Honestly, how can people act and say things like this, let alone commit these violent acts. Everyone is equal, no matter race, sex, or religion, and I cannot understand why so many people still fail to see that.

/rant
:applaud

If there is one thing I dislike its people who hide behind and hijack religion to push their own hateful ideas on others that have no bases on the teachings or scripture of that faith.

Its amazing the lack of humanity, compassion and forgiveness some of these people who call themselves preachers are willing to show others.

Ever since Evangelical Christainity started a few hundred years ago its been on a steady march to the fundamentalists side of Christianity sadly.

Last edited:
The media sensationalizes the hell out of everything especially anything to do with Muslims post 9/11.

There are over a billion muslims in the world and the amount involved in terrorism isn't anywhere near as much as the media would have you believe and even then its an insult to islam to even call these terrorist muslims.

The muslim population of many western countries is very tiny. It only makes up 0.8% of the U.S population so how some sections of the media can talk about islam taking over is just stupid.

In my school we had a class called religious education from the age of 12 to 16 which was compulsory. It was a couple one hour a week lessons in which we learned about all the major religions and their cultures.

I went to a regular state comprehensive school and looking back now I think it was a good thing to learn that stuff.

Ignorance and fear breeds hate and distrust.

:applaud

If there is one thing I dislike its people who hide behind and hijack religion to push their own hateful ideas on others that have no bases on the teachings or scripture of that faith.

Its amazing the lack of humanity, compassion and forgiveness some of these people who call themselves preachers are willing to show others.

Ever since Evangelical Christainity started a few hundred years ago its been on a steady march to the fundamentalists side of Christianity sadly.

In Texas, religion is a part of the 6th grade, 9th grade and 11th grade TEKS....so we are required to teach religion in those classes....9th grade is the main year.

Was this a copycat attack from the Colorado shooting at all?

I don't think so. This guy seems to have been motivated by prejudice against Muslims, who he and a lot of other people are too dumb to distinguish from Sikhs...

The shooter seemed to be a White Supremacist/Neo-Nazi.

There has always been gun violence. It's just news worthy now because it sells ad space.

There is a shining point to this story though:

Teachers apparently rushed the kid with the gun. With all the talk about how poorly teachers are doing (economically, not necessarily at their jobs) in this day's economy, it's awesome to see our educational leaders stepping up like goddamned superheroes in a crisis, and potentially saving numerous lives.

:up: :up: to them.

Real curious as to the shooter's motive.

Yes those teachers are heroes. It doesn't excuse the fact our kids are some of the dumbest in the industrialized world.

Real curious as to the shooter's motive.

I'm sure his motive isn't anything too deep. It's probably some "he was bullied" crap. Countless kids are bullied, but most don't solve their situation by shooting others. I hate hearing that as some kind of justification. No matter what his motive is, I'm sure it will be something supremely ridiculous and petty. It doesn't really matter to me.

Jesus, why is everyone shooting now?

Its happening no more than it usually does. The media is just reporting more of it because it is the current hot topic. The same thing happened when that guy ate that guys face off in florida a few months back. For the next month canibal stories kept popping ip.

I'm sure his motive isn't anything too deep. It's probably some "he was bullied" crap. Countless kids are bullied, but most don't solve their situation by shooting others. I hate hearing that as some kind of justification. No matter what his motive is, I'm sure it will be something supremely ridiculous and petty. It doesn't really matter to me.

Possibly. Even if it was a case of bullying, how many times have seen people tell the bullied kid to fight back? I'd say, IF THIS IS A CASE OF THE SHOOTER BEING BULLIED, he sure fought back.

Possibly. Even if it was a case of bullying, how many times have seen people tell the bullied kid to fight back? I'd say, IF THIS IS A CASE OF THE SHOOTER BEING BULLIED, he sure fought back.

That's not fighting back. That's being a coward with a gun.

That's not fighting back. That's being a coward with a gun.
Not in the shooter's eyes. Again, this is all hypothetical since we don't know the shooter's motives. I'm just speculating. If you imagine a kid, constantly bullied, who knows they stand no physical chance against the bully, they get an equalizer of some kind. A gun being an easy to use weapon that gives it's user massive power. Still, this is all speculation as to the shooter's reasons for doing what he did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"