Mass Shootings/Acts of Violence Discussion Thread

This cannot be compared to the Aurora shooting.
True, the casualties were more, but this is a hate crime.
Truly Terrible.

It can and it will and I just did. People died at the hands of a madman, the motive or reasoning behind it are irrelevant.

Truly Terrible.

They're both awful tragedies. One is not lesser or worse than the other.

Agreed. They're equally tragic, whatever the shooter's motivations were.

Sigh, this is just awful, frightening. I feel for that community.

I also feel bad for my coworker who is on her way to reunite with family in Wisconsin, she was so happy and now her visit will be tainted.

Truly Terrible.
Lives were taken needlessly in both cases. The body count and the reasons behind the shootings don't factor in.

Goddamnit America. I wonder how many mass shootings it will take for us to revise that 2nd Amendment.

:facepalm:

Anyways, I am very saddened to hear this news. I saw a headline on Facebook, but I hadn't heard any details until I talked to my mom earlier tonight.

This nation is scaring me.

yeah, this happened in my city . . . well, a suburb of where I live basically but yeah . . .

What a tragedy! A temple should be a place of safety and comfort. My thoughts go out to the victims and their families.

What the...?
CNN is reporting that one victim's family member said that because the shooter had a 9/11 tattoo, it implies that this was a hate crime?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/06/us/wisconsin-temple-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Kaleka said those inside the gurdwara, or Sikh house of worship, described the attacker as a bald white man, dressed in a white T-shirt and black pants and with the 9/11 tattoo on one arm -- which "implies to me that there's some level of hate crime there."

Question based on the video:
If the lyrics advocate killing people, aren't they not protected as free speech as they are terroristic threats?

Also, I love the Libel against the Right by labeling the band that, instead of "Neo-Nazi".

Threats are not against the law unless you act on them...those lyrics were very general, you can hate groups in this country, there is no law that says you can't...you just can't turn that hate into action...

Now, don't go out and threaten a governmental official, you might have a problem there...since for some reason they are more important than you or I....:whatever:

Threats are not against the law unless you act on them...those lyrics were very general, you can hate groups in this country, there is no law that says you can't...you just can't turn that hate into action...

Now, don't go out and threaten a governmental official, you might have a problem there...since for some reason they are more important than you or I....:whatever:

Terroristic threats are a crime here in Georgia. It may be different in your state, but it is a felony here.

You know, despite myself being of Christian faith, I think I need to speak on the extreme prejudice we still heap on other religions in this country. Honestly, i hadn't realized it was so ba duntil I saw my grandmother last night, who was watching some televangelist on TV. In his sermon, he proceeded to talk about how we should be wary of Muslims, because all Muslims were out to destroy us and our nation. There wasn't any mention of the normal worshipping people, no mention of our neighbors and co-workers and friends who genuinely aren't out to hurt anyone, but clearly labled that all Muslims wanted was for us to be destroyed.

Honestly, how can people act and say things like this, let alone commit these violent acts. Everyone is equal, no matter race, sex, or religion, and I cannot understand why so many people still fail to see that.

/rant

Ignorance...and the media does not help...

I do an activity in my classes, before we begin our study of religions....where they have to get out a sheet of paper and pen. I write a word up on the board and they are to right the first thing that pops in their head...and then we share them. Of course before lunch I get, tacos, hamburgers, all kids of stuff, but for the most part they play along.....the first word I put up is "Islam"....I get, raghead, 7-Eleven, terrorism, oil, theocracy, death, Muhammad, Quran, mosque, Iraq, Iran, etc....most are negative.

Then I put up the word Christian, I get....United States, Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, pretty much all of the Christian religions, Jesus, white man (yes, I get white man), preacher, priest, God, communion, church, mass, mostly positive, but I have gotten, hypocrisy before...I was very intrigued by that answer, come to find out, this student was agnostic...

Then we compare the negative to the positive of each religion, and I ask them where they learned these things about each religion. For Islam, they said, #1. the internet, #2. TV, #3, church, #4. school.... Where they learned about Christianity, they said, #1. church, #2. family, #3. friends, #4 media.

I will say this.....over the past 12 years that I have been doing this activity, the negatives for Islam, have decreased each year...

I don't know what's more ****ed up, the fact that this actually happened, or the general reaction from the masses.

Yeah, some don't seem to be decrying it as much as they would if vice versa.

Third option;
The fact that CNN is pinning it on the right. :cmad:
Who cares who CNN is pinning it on. That's not even something to get uppity about (no offence to you, I mean in general). People are seeming to forget that a bunch of pour souls are dead. Nothing will bring them back. Not pointing fingers, nor pointing fingers at those who are pointing fingers.

I'm deeply saddened by this. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"