Mark Millar/Dave Gibbon's THE SECRET SERVICE - Directed By Matthew Vaughn

TheIrishAvenger

You are not special.
Reaction score
vhxAaG7.jpg

Fox Wins Rights To Matthew Vaughn’s Next Pic ‘The Secret Service’

After scrapping with Universal Pictures, 20th Century Fox has just closed a deal for worldwide distribution rights to The Secret Service, the next directorial outing by Matthew Vaughn, who most recently helmed X-Men: First Class for Fox, and Kick-Ass.

Vaughn has already completed the script for this film with his writing partner Jane Goldman, and his Marv Films will finance and produce the film, based on the comic series by Kick-Ass creator Mark Millar and Dave Gibbons. Fox is going to date it quickly for next year, and production will begin in August.

The drama closely follows the comic, about a veteran secret agent who leads a young protege into the shadowy business. Back when Deadline broke news that Vaughn was handing the directing reins of X-Men: Days Of Future Past to Bryan Singer, I noted that he was eyeing The Secret Service as his next film.

This is important one for Fox, which has made an effort to have the studio be considered a good place for accomplished directors to work. Keeping Vaughn in the fold after launching what has become an important franchise is a good indication that the efforts of Emma Watts and Jim Gianopulos are paying off.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/fox-wins-rights-to-matthew-vaughns-next-pic-the-secret-service/

RELEASE DATE: November 14, 2014

Last edited:
So.....it's like The Recruit with Pacino & Farrell?

I have very little interest in this, the premise just sounds so dull and cliche, but I have to state my dissapointment in Vaughn taking this as his next project. I mean, really, leaving DOFP for this?

Thankfully we got Singer back for DOFP but I just feel Vaughn is wasting his talent with a project like this.

I'm down with Jason Isaacs. He's wonderful, especially in that type of role.

It's Millar, so who knows. But I'm going to assume, like with all of his films adaptations, the movie will be 110x better than the book.

Variety has revealed that 20th Century Fox and Matthew Vaughn are considering Jack O'Connell (300: Rise of an Empire), John Boyega (Attack the Block) and Christian Cooke (Magic City) for the lead role of 'Gary' in The Secret Service. While Aaron Taylor-Johnson was initially considered to play the young secret agent mentored by his uncle, scheduling and money issues reportedly led to that not working out. While the studio may still opt to strike a deal with the Kick-Ass 2 and Godzilla star, Vaughn has zeroed in on these three - more may be added to the list - and is now screen testing them.

This is probably gonna end up as another solid film from Matthew Vaughn. He's very consistent!

Jack O'Connell I could see doing well in the role.

Its cool that John Boyega is getting considered as well.

Neat!

Still can't believe that this is was a case of Mark Millar being right... about.. well, everything.

Matthew Vaughn Eyes Newcomer Taron Egerton for ‘Secret Service’ (EXCLUSIVE)
After a long search to find a young actor to team up with Colin Firth in his adaptation of “The Secret Service,” helmer Matthew Vaughn (pictured) has tapped newcomer Taron Egerton for the role of the young spy.
While no deal is done, negotiations are expected to start shortly with the young thesp for the role of the nephew who Firth mentors to become a secret agent. Vaughn and 20th Century Fox had also considered Aaron Taylor-Johnson, but decided to look at actors that weren’t as high-profile, and began meeting with actors prior to the Fourth of July holiday.
Variety previously reported that Vaughn met with young actors that included Jack O’Connell, who recently landed the staring role in Angelina Jolie’s “Unbroken,” and “Attack the Block” star John Boyega before the break. The director decided to open the search up even further, which led to him coming across Egerton.
Egerton is so new to the biz, he doesn’t even have an agent, with his only credit to date on the TV show “Inspector Lewis.”
Fox is very high on the project ever since Vaughn took it on as his follow-up to “X-Men: First Class” and fought hard to make sure the film landed at Fox. The studio landed distribution rights in March on the project which Vaughn has already co-written with his writing partner Jane Goldman.
Marv Films will finance and produce the film, based on the comic series by Mark Millar and David Gibbons. Production is expected to start this fall.
With his two leads now set, Vaughn will now look to cast the female co-star. Sources say Vaughn is showing interest in Emma Watson and “Dark Shadows” actress Bella Heathcote. Vaughn’s also eying a high-profile star to play the villain. Tom Cruise and Leonardo DiCaprio are among that have been approached, but both actors have already passed.
Production is set to start this fall.
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/m...rton-for-secret-service-exclusive-1200568145/

Samuel L. Jackson to Play Villain in Matthew Vaughn’s ‘Secret Service’

Having already locked in its two heroes, Fox and director Matthew Vaughn look one step closer to gearing up production on “The Secret Service” with Samuel L. Jackson now set to play the villain.

Pic already stars Colin Firth and Taron Egerton with Vaughn directing.
Marv Films will finance and produce the film, based on the comic series by Mark Millar and David Gibbons. Production is expected to start this fall.

Vaughn and Jane Goldman have written the adaptation of the Mark Millar and David Gibbons graphic novel.

Story follows a veteran secret agent who takes a young upstart under his wing.
Vaughn had always intended to have a big star as his main antagonist, having already pursued Tom Cruise and Leonardo DiCaprio.

With Jackson now in place, Vaughn’s last job is to find the female lead. As Variety first reported Vaughn has shown interest in Emma Watson and “Dark Shadows” actress Bella Heathcote, but no decision has been made yet.

Jackson is repped by ICM Partners and Anonymous Content and can be seen next in Spike Lee’s “Oldboy” remake followed by MGM’s “Robocop” and “Captain America: Winter Soldier.”

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/samuel-l-jackson-matthew-vaughns-secret-service-1200569520/

Very Intresting.This will probally be closest Samuel L Jackson gets to ever being a bond
villain.

So, is this yet another movie based on a Millar comic that's actually better than the comic. Also. it appears that Hollywood is determined to adapt everything that Mark Millar and Frank Miller have ever written. Next up, a Nemesis movie directed by Quentin Tarantino.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"