Max: The Artist Formerly Known as HBO Max

Blitzkrieg

Avenger
Reaction score

WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey unveiled the plan Wednesday during his address at the Vanity Fair New Establishment Summit in Los Angeles. Stankey said the company will mine its library and content engines to create such a service by the end of 2019.

The new platform will be fronted by HBO, with content from additional Warner Media brands bundled around that premium cable service, Stankey said. Price for the service will not be determined until the project comes to market, but Stankey said it will be more expensive than the current HBO over-the-top subscription plan (which he said is priced more than fairly, thanks to the “emotional engagement” of WarnerMedia content like “Game of Thrones”).

WarnerMedia Launching Direct-To-Consumer Streaming Service In Fourth Quarter Of 2019

Stankey said WarnerMedia would launch a streaming service that would draw from the media company’s broad collection of films, television shows, animation and its library. This new OTT offering would augment the media company’s other streaming services, like HBO Now.

“We expect to create such a compelling product that it will help distributors increase consumer penetration of their current packages and help us successfully reach more customers,” Stankey said in a statement.

“HBO is one of the best values in the market right now,” he asserted. “Clearly what we want to do here is we want to ensure what we’re offering on a combined basis is compelling.”

Disney and Warner streaming will cancel out each other....Netflix will remain untouchable....:word:

Makes sense.

And nah, Netflix's days are numbered as the big dog. They'll still be around, and still be doing well, but the dominance is done. You don't keep giant megacompanies like Disney & Warner from scraping away parts of your market share, no matter what.

This'll be like when other big companies started making comparatively-awesome smartphones. Apple's still doing huge business, but they don't own the sector anymore. Competition's good.

Makes sense.

And nah, Netflix's days are numbered as the big dog. They'll still be around, and still be doing well, but the dominance is done. You don't keep giant megacompanies like Disney & Warner from scraping away parts of your market share, no matter what.

This'll be like when other big companies started making comparatively-awesome smartphones. Apple's still doing huge business, but they don't own the sector anymore. Competition's good.

Competition is very much needed, and I'm glad its coming. Feels like Warner are trolling Disney again..lol..

Disney and Warner streaming will be lucky to get half the market share of Netflix, but they can try if they want.

I don't know about that. It'll take years, but wouldn't surprise me if the Disney service for one is at least comparative to Netflix in subscriptions in about a decade. Less content overall, but a higher quality output. Hard to say about the WB one (but you'd have to imagine that'll be at least moderately big too), but Disney's probably going to be the Samsung to Netflix's Apple here, to use the smartphone analogy again.

Being first in to a business model doesn't necessarily dictate you're on top forever, and Disney obviously has more resources to throw into this thing than Netflix. The latter's lead will hold for a while (it's going to take time for Disney to build up content and a subscriber base), but you could bet people at Netflix have been pretty nervous over the last 12 months or so.

It’s not enough anymore to just be a streaming service that shows old tv shows and movies that most other streaming networks carry. You need new content. That’s what Disney at least realizes.

People cut the cord originally because it was cheaper. But with all these new streaming options then you’ll have to start really weighing the costs.

New content is key....Disney streaming Star Wars and MinI MCU series will make or break it...for more adult content, WB streaming will be bombarded with the 100 or so Game of thrones spin offs they are developing..They will have content for younger viewers too..Disney streaming aimed only at younger audience is a mistake IMO..

So now they technically have two if you include DC Universe. They could've easily consolidated that into WB.

If DC Universe doesn't take-off within a year, they will consolidate it in their main streaming service. DC fans can get DC Universe at much lower price than paying for WB's new steaming service.

And you get a streaming service, and you get a streaming service, and you get a streaming service...EVERYONE GET A STREAMING SERVICE!!!

WarnerMedia Streaming Service Will Launch Domestically First

The streaming service WarnerMedia plans to introduce next year will launch domestically first, followed by a potential international rollout, and could feature content from outside providers, according to a company insider.

Speculation has already surfaced of talks between WarnerMedia and Comcast’s NBCUniversal to form sort of content alliance, but neither company has commented publicly on the possibility.

So at this point it's safe to say that the DC streaming service's days are numbered.

I think WarnerMedia's top brass will eventually pull the plug on the DC streaming service. They have already cancelled Filmstruck (subscription service for cinephiles), DramaFever (Korean drama series based streaming app) and some others. They are gearing up to bring it all under one umbrella so this new subscription service will probably integrate the DC streaming app into it's fold.

I think WarnerMedia's top brass will eventually pull the plug on the DC streaming service. They have already cancelled Filmstruck (subscription service for cinephiles), DramaFever (Korean drama series based streaming app) and some others. They are gearing up to bring it all under one umbrella so this new subscription service will probably integrate the DC streaming app into it's fold.

They still have Boomerang as well which is a mix of the WB Animation library and new shows like Wacky Races and Scooby Doo. I think perhaps DC Universe, Boomerang and possibly HBO Now could be bundled as an add on with WarnerMedia service similar to what Amazon Prime does with Showtime, Hulu and Starz.

When these companies start releasing their major films on the their streaming services the same day as the theatrical release I'll get really excited. Films like the DCEU, MCU, Star Wars, Wizarding World etc. These days I only go to the movies cause I'm too impatient to wait for the home video release. Id watch a lot more new releases if I could pay a ticket price and watch at home. But so far it's only indie and smaller films that get this option.

I don't care about this because i dont think this will be avaible outside the US

Makes sense.

Yeah, this was expected. You can’t stay totally dominant of such a huge market long term unless your competitors are totally inept. They can still be no.1 but will be forced to give up a bit of market share.

Competition is very much needed, and I'm glad its coming. Feels like Warner are trolling Disney again..lol..

Disney and Warner streaming will be lucky to get half the market share of Netflix, but they can try if they want.
I’ve got so much value from my Netflix subscription that I was quite happy keeping it as is. I don’t particularly want 10 guys giving me streaming services for the things I want at cut-price 2.99 each when I can have it under one roof at a price that will be less than all the cheap ones combined.

Criterion Films Announces New Streaming Service To Replace FilmStruck

The Criterion Collection and WarnerMedia announced today a new chapter for the beloved collection of Criterion films. In the Spring of 2019, through a special arrangement with WarnerMedia, the Criterion Channel will launch as a free-standing streaming service. Additionally, the popular library of films will be part of WarnerMedia’s recently announced direct-to-consumer platform that is planned to launch in the fourth quarter of 2019. Today’s announcement ensures that fans will have access to these films from the Criterion Collection as well as films from WarnerMedia’s deep and extensive library in what will be a rich and curated experience, which will further expand the audience footprint for these classic and acclaimed movies. The Criterion Channel will be picking up where FilmStruck left off, with thematic programming, regular filmmaker spotlights, and actor retrospectives, featuring major classics and hard-to-find discoveries from Hollywood and around the world, complete with special features like commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage and original documentaries. The Criterion Channel will continue to produce their guest programmer series, Adventures in Moviegoing, which has already featured such cinephile luminaries as Barry Jenkins, Guillermo del Toro, Bill Hader, and Mira Nair. Criterion’s monthly 15-minute film school, Observations on Film Art, Tuesday’s Short + Feature, and the Friday double-bill will all be back as well.

So at this point it's safe to say that the DC streaming service's days are numbered.

I doubt it, they didnt just make this decision last week. It has to be something they've talked about for awhile. Unless DCU just is failing miserably.

WarnerMedia’s nascent streaming service will launch in beta form by the end of 2019 with three tiers of programming options, including an “entry-level” package focused on movies. AT&T said WarnerMedia’s SVOD service will offer consumers three options to subscribe, starting with “entry-level movie-focused package.” It will also feature “a premium service with original programming and blockbuster movies” and a third option “that bundles content from the first two plus an extensive library of WarnerMedia and licensed content.”

But they'll be directly competing with their old archnemesis Disney.

But they'll be directly competing with their old archnemesis Disney.

There are rumors that Warnermedia is teaming up with Comcast for additional content for this streaming service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"