MCU effect on careers

A role in the MCU is a lot of money but I don't think it opens any doors.

Everyone involved, I think, had roles consistent with what they had pre-MCU. Chris Pratt might be an exception, but his tenure on P&R and that ending is probably what launched his career.

Or even had just as big roles, like Finn Jones on Game of Thrones. So for some, the MCU could just be another stepping stone.

As far as the Netflix side is concerned if anything, I think it allows actors who we may have known for side roles to jump into the spotlight on their own. I mean, sure, I was familiar with Charlie Cox and Krysten Ritter, for example, because of shows like Boardwalk Empire or Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23, but their roles in Daredevil and Jessica Jones respectively, I feel, gave them more of a commanding presence. It's a case-by-case basis.

A role in the MCU is a lot of money but I don't think it opens any doors.

Everyone involved, I think, had roles consistent with what they had pre-MCU. Chris Pratt might be an exception, but his tenure on P&R and that ending is probably what launched his career.

Hmm... MCU may have indirectly launched Chris Pratt into a higher stratosphere than before since he got into what Hollywood would consider 'leading man shape' for Star Lord.

RDJ, Pratt and Scarlett.

Scarlett might have been established prior to joining the MCU but personally I don't think stuff like LUCY would've been the hit it became without the popular exposure she got as Black Widow.

I don't know. In a way I feel like Marvel's held RDJ back. I certainly can't blame the guy for sticking with the highest paying job he's had but I'd really like to see him break out of the Iron Man schtick.

He's a great actor. It would be a shame if he spends the rest of his career reprising Tony Stark in some way or another.

Same with Evans. He's the actor Pratt was touted to be but he's sort of avoided outside breaks. I'd like to see him in something like Snowpiercer again.

To be fair I think both actors characters in the MCU have developed rather more depth as its gone on but yeah I would like to see then more in other roles.

I suspect part of the problem Evans might have is that whilst he can obviously show a humorous side he's really more of a straight dramatic actor(Sunshine was I'd guess what got him Cap) and Hollywood just doesn't have a ton of big blockbuster roles for such actors these days(and the likes of Cruise, Hardy and Leo take a lot of them) with a larger than life style tending to be more popular. Cap in the MCU is by his very nature perfectly suited to him even if the films as a whole are larger than life.

And in regards to salaries...

Downey Jr got 500 K for the first Iron Man whereas Terence Howard was paid $4 million despite him being in last than half the film. He must have had 1 heck of an agent. As Howard had an Oscar nod from 06 but no really box office hit.

Chris Evans also got just 300 K for the first Captain America. I believe Hemsworth was paid under a million for the first Thor.

I suspect part of the problem Evans might have is that whilst he can obviously show a humorous side he's really more of a straight dramatic actor(Sunshine was I'd guess what got him Cap) and Hollywood just doesn't have a ton of big blockbuster roles for such actors these days(and the likes of Cruise, Hardy and Leo take a lot of them) with a larger than life style tending to be more popular. Cap in the MCU is by his very nature perfectly suited to him even if the films as a whole are larger than life.
Evans definitely garnered more recognition for his comedic roles and even his previous cbm roles within the fandom community before playing Cap.

While RDJ was on the rise, in 2008 Iron Man certainly catapulted him to new heights with the moviegoing public - in terms of having a wide mainstream appeal (he was always a very good movie actor, full stop).

Hemsworth - yeah, I feel that without Thor he'd be struggling to have achieved leading man status - and Hiddleston's work is more acclaimed (I'm thinking of the Night Manager, more than Kong). He's great as Thor, but just kind of average as anything else. Hey, he's a soap opera actor really, so we can't expect too much.

Evans....should probably get more credit for making Cap, who's kind of a dull character quite likeable and someone we can identify with (which ain't easy for a guy whose superpower is being human perfection itself). Has it hurt his career....nah, I mean it will probably be the role he's remembered for, but is he as versatile as RDJ, I don't think so. Finally saw Snowpiercer, and it's great, but a very strong supporting cast help carry it along.

Pratt, I feel like GOTG really took him to the next level, it was the perfect role in the perfect film. He's probably benefitted from the exposure more than any other actor.

Scar Jo, well she's had acclaim for a long time. I think BW keeps her current with a particular type of audience, but I think she'd be working lots regardless.

Paul Rudd is getting a serious career boost from Ant-Man, as is Anthony Mackie.

Sebastian Stan...well if it weren't for TWS I would have no idea he even existed.

Renner.....hmmmmm. A guy who can really act playing sort of a sidekick role. I don't think the MCU is hurting him too much, it keeps him current and relevant.

Has anyone mentioned Cumberbatch yet ? I mean, a guy who's got a ton of acclaim for Sherlock now looking safe as a Hollywood leading man after Dr Strange.

Not sure what will happen to Boseman, will just have to wait and see - but no doubt he got quite a buzz for his appearances in CW.

Mildly embarrassed to admit it, but I don't even know who Brie Larson is, so I've got to say that being a major Marvel superhero will help her career - as I'm probably not alone. Then again, when I hear "Captain marvel" I always think of Shazam.

In summary, I don't think being in MCU films hurts anyone's career too much - quite the opposite (particularly if that person was already well established) it gives them exposure to a massive PG-13 audience, who may grow up to enjoy their other work.

Cumberbatch was arguably already safe as a leading man and well known not just from Sherlock, but from leading films like The Imitation Game, being the main villain of Star Trek Into Darkness...Strange isn't what catapulted him into safe leading man status. He already had the chops for it.

Cumberbatch was already highly in demand as a leading man. Doctor Strange was the first time he got to be the lead in a major hollywood blockbuster.

Cumberbatch was already highly in demand as a leading man. Doctor Strange was the first time he got to be the lead in a major hollywood blockbuster.
Excellent point

I guess Hemsworth is the prime example of getting a lead in an MCU film and becoming a huge star. Pratt at least had some supporting roles in Moneyball/Zero Dark Thirty/The 5 Year Engagement and of course "Parks and Rec"

Not really, but Rudd was already pretty established and successful before Ant-Man.

Not really, but Rudd was already pretty established and successful before Ant-Man.
How successful would you say? He seemed to be someone that folks were familiar with but not like a box office star. Like he was a semi movie star. IMO

I want to see him in more roles as he has like this effortless kind of charisma

Brie Larson was already doing acclaimed work, just not in the biggest blockbusters. She would've been scooped up in a franchise eventually, especially after The Room and Short Term 12. In a way, it's almost the opposite. Her consistent work got her the Marvel job, vs Marvel opening other doors for her. Same with BC, just on a bigger level.

Paul Rudd has been acting a long time, and while he succeeded as a leading man in Ant-Man, I think if they ever try to make him one outside of Scott Lang, he'll just fall short like Renner.

I kinda feel for Don Cheadle. His focus on his tv series and the MCU pretty much kept him from the traditional indie films that he was doing before.

Though I'm sure his bank account is much more $$$ now, just weird to see him like just playing a "sidekick" in the MCU considering 10 years ago he was in films with Matt Damon and George Clooney.

Hayley Atwell's role in Captain America led to ABC to betting on her twice as a prime time lead, even though neither show was long for this world.

I honestly think Marvels success and the payday actors get from the films has opened the doors for established actors to always consider roles in Marvel films. I can't think of any actor that would surprise me in taking even a supporting role in a Marvel film.

Robert Deniro could still play random guy #2 in the next GOTG. Thats crazy!

How successful would you say? He seemed to be someone that folks were familiar with but not like a box office star. Like he was a semi movie star. IMO

I want to see him in more roles as he has like this effortless kind of charisma

He was pretty successful. He had mainly been typecast as a comedic actor, but Rudd was working and fairly successful as a writer and actor and in many successful films.

I honestly think Marvels success and the payday actors get from the films has opened the doors for established actors to always consider roles in Marvel films. I can't think of any actor that would surprise me in taking even a supporting role in a Marvel film.

Robert Deniro could still play random guy #2 in the next GOTG. Thats crazy!

It was quite a shock to see Robert Redford as the villain in Winter Soldier. And now Cate Blanchette as a villain.

I don't think you could argue the MCU has actually hurt anyone's careers. First of all, if you were an actor, what other blockbusters would you rather be in over the past decade? Second, have you ever heard an actor say they got passed up because they were in an MCU film?

So far, the career trajectories for MCU actors seem to range from as good as Harrison Ford to as "bad' as Mark Hamill.

Another thing worth noting is that MCU movies not just made money, but they have all been doing well on Rottentomatoes and received great-to-good reviews as well. And in Hollywood, perception matters so GA see those actors making good movies that are certified blockbusters. Even if they don't have the same success outside MCU, they have benefit from their association with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"