Far From Home MCU Spider-Man is very, very inaccurate

I don't buy it

Some of the things in the video he says does not make any sense.
He claims that Sony changed the names of characters in order to keep Marvel from using those characters if the deal between them ever fell apart. for sample MJ is michelle jones and ganke is ned leeds

but in the case of Aunt may, flash thompson. Betty Brant they all have the same name of their comic book counterparts. It does not matter if they look different they are still named after those characters. So the whole thing about "Hot aunt may" being frozen while Sony can only use old aunt may is ridiculous and I guarantee you that there is nothing in that contract telling them that they now can only cast a 80 year old actress to play aunt may now that the deal with Marvel has ended lol

I will give the video some credit
the guy took the small info that has released online about the deal with Sony and managed to make something that looks like it could be true as long as don't really think about how silly the video really is.

Last edited:
Agreed. The MJ one is the only example that really fits with his theory, but just changing the physical appearance of a character isn’t going to be enough to stave off a legal issue. Peter’s Aunt is still Aunt May. Vulture is still called Vulture and his real name is Adrian Toomes. They’re the characters.

I wonder how the next villain will be connected to Tony Stark. Harry Osborne hates Peter because he was supposed to be Tony's surrogate son but Pete took that from him? Eddie Brock got his ass fired because he took Stark's picture unprovoked? Norman Osborne hated Tony Stark for being better/richer than him?

I wonder how the next villain will be connected to Tony Stark. Harry Osborne hates Peter because he was supposed to be Tony's surrogate son but Pete took that from him? Eddie Brock got his ass fired because he took Stark's picture unprovoked? Norman Osborne hated Tony Stark for being better/richer than him?

How has Peter taken that from Harry? He doesn't even know him in the universe. And why should Harry be jealous of Peter for being Tony's surrogate son? Harry doesn't even know Tony. Peter can't take from Harry what he never had in the first place. He'd be like a complete stranger to both Peter and Tony coming into this.

I don't buy it

Some of the things in the video he says does not make any sense.
He claims that Sony changed the names of characters in order to keep Marvel from using those characters if the deal between them ever fell apart. for sample MJ is michelle jones and ganke is ned leeds

but in the case of Aunt may, flash thompson. Betty Brant they all have the same name of their comic book counterparts. It does not matter if they look different they are still named after those characters. So the whole thing about "Hot aunt may" being frozen while Sony can only use old aunt may is ridiculous and I guarantee you that there is nothing in that contract telling them that they now can only cast a 80 year old actress to play aunt may now that the deal with Marvel has ended lol

While i've in no way read the contracts , it actually does sound plausible to me given that the rights are unlikely purely based off of character names alone. They're also dealing with physical characteristics of the characters and a question of which studio owns which character , for lack of a better term.

I'll have to watch the video again, but I thought he was referring to changing of the characteristics of the characters , not the names.

Remember, we're dealing with characters who've been drawn , painted, and animated for decades , so likenesses and descriptions of the characters are in play when you're dealing in this type of legal wrangling. So when it comes to casting the or characterization of Spiderman's supporting cast , their may very well be legal incentive to make sure the designs for the Sony/MCU May, Ned, etc to look quite different from how the character is typically presented in other medium .

The situation may not be so much that they can't cast an 80 year old as Aunt May, but that that 80 who's cast will have to wear a dark hair wig or made to look very different from the likeness of the comics. There's a similar legal situation regarding Bad Robots Star Trek films and CBS/Paramount's Original Star Trek series and films.

Its not as silly as it sounds , because when you're dealing with complex rights issues between two film studios and a vast library of characters , sometimes compromises like this are made in order for everyone to agree on a deal. Their source may be wrong , but I don't think they're making it up.

Spiderman has had film rights issues going back to the 80s, so the idea of there potentially being another hang up wouldn't be that far out of the realm of possibility.

View attachment 26953

This has got to be the most damning criticism of MCU Spider-Man I've ever read. It's true, though. for the life of me, I can't picture this Spider-Man mocking Doctor Doom or starting a ridiculous feud with the Fantastic Four.

I love HC and FFH and will defend a lot about the MCU Spider-Man... but I totally agree with Gail Simone here. Spidey really shouldn't be in awe of the rich and powerful. I had never thought about it before, but now that's going to bug me.

I disagree a bit about the other students feeling off. I love the cast.

Saying he's "in awe of the rich and powerful" makes it sound like he's got Jeff Bezos and Zuckerberg posters on his walls.

That pretty much only describes his admiration for Tony and the other Avengers, which makes all the sense in the world given how the MCU has played out up until his inclusion.

How has Peter taken that from Harry? He doesn't even know him in the universe. And why should Harry be jealous of Peter for being Tony's surrogate son? Harry doesn't even know Tony. Peter can't take from Harry what he never had in the first place. He'd be like a complete stranger to both Peter and Tony coming into this.

This is the MCU they can show a random 3 second flashback showing Harry and Tony connection ....They retcon stuff whenever they want to.....We just have to accept it

Saying he's "in awe of the rich and powerful" makes it sound like he's got Jeff Bezos and Zuckerberg posters on his walls.

That pretty much only describes his admiration for Tony and the other Avengers, which makes all the sense in the world given how the MCU has played out up until his inclusion.

If he's going to have any Amazon up on his wall, it should be Gal Gadot. :o

The only “rich and powerful” we see Peter in awe of is Tony Stark, who is a literal superhero and more or less the ringleader of The Avengers.

As a fledgling superhero, a tech geek, and a teenage boy, why the hell wouldn’t Peter fanboy over him?

It doesn’t mean Peter is “in awe” of some obviously **** role model like Donald Trump just because he’s rich and powerful. Him admiring Tony makes all the sense in the world, whether or not you think it leans too hard into the Tony thing (which is kind of a separate argument).

For the same reason he wasn't in awe of Mr. Fantastic and his team when he first met them. Because that's who Peter Parker is. Let's not act like anyone forced Marvel to turn Peter into Kamala Khan. Oh no wait, someone did, according to recent rumors. It was Sony. :hehe:

Peter didn't have to be an Avengers fanboy. What's worse is that he seems to have been relegated to cleaning up Tony's messes. First Vulture, now Mysterio. Tony screwed people over and Peter has to put them down when they go rogue. Nice.

Before MCU Spider-Man we basically got the same movie 5 times in a row. I'm fine with MCU Spidey being more closely tied to Stark and the rest of the MCU and not having the same level of inner turmoil that he has in the previous movies.

Word!

It's funny because MCU Peter doesn't feel anything like Peter in my opinion but he's such a great character it doesn't bother me. Sort of like how the MCU's Thor is completely disparate from the comics but he's such a wonderful take it doesn't ultimately matter.

It's funny because MCU Peter doesn't feel anything like Peter in my opinion but he's such a great character it doesn't bother me. Sort of like how the MCU's Thor is completely disparate from the comics but he's such a wonderful take it doesn't ultimately matter.

You aren't wrong, but I suspect that, if you had the time and inclination to read the entire history of the character in the comics? You'd find that there are periods, with different creative teams, that are just as distinct from each other. The reason he seems to "not feel anything like" the comic version, is because for better or worse, your mental image of "the real Peter Parker" is defined by a specific subset of comic portrayals.

Before MCU Spider-Man we basically got the same movie 5 times in a row. I'm fine with MCU Spidey being more closely tied to Stark and the rest of the MCU and not having the same level of inner turmoil that he has in the previous movies.
I don't agree. Maybe the villains in the first 2 movies were similar in the Raimi movies (SM3 had different villains for the most part at the end of the day), but the conflicts, the character arcs and the conclusions were different in all 3.
You aren't wrong, but I suspect that, if you had the time and inclination to read the entire history of the character in the comics? You'd find that there are periods, with different creative teams, that are just as distinct from each other. The reason he seems to "not feel anything like" the comic version, is because for better or worse, your mental image of "the real Peter Parker" is defined by a specific subset of comic portrayals.
I think that a movie, at the very least by the time we get to the 4th/5th movie with him in it, and the 2nd where he's the main character, taking the pieces of the character that has been prominent and representing them on screen is a stronger way to adapt something. Peter in this can remain fun, while also dealing with drama that relates to his losses and his guilt and/or pain in regards to that. I think they've taken a part of the character out by not dealing with those concepts I think and how they connect to his origin, character and Ben. For all intents and purposes I don't feel like Raimi's version did that. I wouldn't argue it's a perfect adaption or that all sides are represented fully, but more that that version has more of a focus on one side while keeping the other sides there only less so.I think there's room for improvement with that. But I don't think MCU's version has tried for that. I feel the same about Mary-Jane. I think the character is solidly adapted in Raimi's, but as far as adapting I think there's room for improvement. I think they've done the opposite with that.

Last edited:
He's just white Miles Morales. Like everyone knows it.

And with the whole "diversity" craze, it's a wonder why they didn't just... Ya know... Make him Miles instead of Peter

"Oh because people aren't used to him, they're used to the classic Peter Spidey so we have to have him first" even though he barely has any characteristics of classic Spidey at all

Yeah that recent “craze” of trying to make movies reflect the real world.

Again, if you think he “barely has any characteristics of Classic Spidey” I’d recommend reading a comic book.

I hated how everyone was crying for miles. Honestly I think they changed peter so much to hush the miles fans. I small bit vocal minority kept screaming to make Spider-Man a different race or have miles when the reboot was announced

I hope we get Miles soon but it was undoubtedly the right choice starting out with Peter Parker. Let's grow up with this character after a few more movies, give him a great death like another recent MCU hero, and have Miles step in in his absence.

Yeah that recent “craze” of trying to make movies reflect the real world.

Again, if you think he “barely has any characteristics of Classic Spidey” I’d recommend reading a comic book.
I'd recommend not assuming **** because people are criticizing this version of Pete BECAUSE they read comics but okay

I could not give less of a **** about knock-off Miles Morales.

Harry is jealous Peter became Iron Man Jr and he didn't

I personally agree. Something that made me like Spidey so much is that he was a poor guy with bad luck, just like me, that chose to be a hero. I read the first 400 issues of The Amazing Spiderman when i was 14 and it just feels so different.

Harry is jealous Peter became Iron Man Jr and he didn't

Yeah, it's funny how Spidey villains are basically Iron Man villains now and nobody bats an eye

I could not give less of a **** about knock-off Miles Morales.

Oh no, I get that. I didn't care for him either until the Spiderverse/PS4 versions made me like him lol. I'm just saying, why make your so-called Peter basically Miles, taking so many different things from him? (idolization of other/bigger heroes, chubby Asian friend etc etc)

Hypno Hustler is mad that Tony Stark has his own DJ system instead of hiring him for his parties, cancelled his order without paying him.
Time to dish old fashioned vengeance against Peter Parker, and other people in other countries in the world that are barely attached to Stark.

He also had his time as a member of HYDRA after the failed parties, the Avengers stole that from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"