Far From Home MCU Spider-Man is very, very inaccurate

After seeing FFH, my feeling on MCU Spidey is basically the same as it was after Homecoming. Which is that Tom Holland is perfectly cast as Peter Parker, and if the writing ever gives him a chance he could easily become the best all-around Spidey.

The thing is while I find the MCU Spidey movies entertaining and "cute", I just cannot get too invested in this Tony Stark protege approach they've taken with the character and the lack of Uncle Ben, and everything that plenty of people have already voiced. It just feels disappointing to me that instead of just letting Spider-Man be the flagship, iconic character he is to the Marvel universe, they seem to have put more value in making him fit in super snugly to the world and tone they've created with the other films. Which is understandable, I just think the result is....OK. Definitely not terrible, but far from great.

And I love me some Marissa Tomei, but wow. They've basically made her being the hot, cool aunt as her defining character trait. I can't remember her having a single, actual dramatic scene in either film. She's a fun presence to have in the movie as a background character, but that's all they've got for May? Really?

I don't know. While I think both Homecoming and FFH are OK to good movies, and manage the impressive juggling act of attempting to tell Spider-Man stories within the narrative insanity that is the MCU right now....for movies about Marvel's flagship character being made at the height of Marvel's powers, I can't help but feel that the result is pretty underwhelming. Especially how stylistically flat the films are. Compared to Raimi's films and of course Spider-Verse, these ones feel painfully generic in execution. One thing I can certainly applaud is the casting of the villains. Keaton and Gyllenhaal both brought a level of gravitas to their respective films and were easily among some of the better MCU villains.

Last edited:
People LOVE to complain about Starks presence in these films. If all goes as planned we have probably 12+ films with Tom Holland (including appearances in other films) and I think once all is said and done everyone is going to appreciate having seen Spidey's arc. Beginning with him less confident and more insecure and ending with him being what he set out to be: the Spider - MAN. We are already seeing the trajectory of this arc.

Be patient and enjoy the damn ride, people.

People LOVE to complain about Starks presence in these films. If all goes as planned we have probably 12+ films with Tom Holland (including appearances in other films) and I think once all is said and done everyone is going to appreciate having seen Spidey's arc. Beginning with him less confident and more insecure and ending with him being what he set out to be: the Spider - MAN. We are already seeing the trajectory of this arc.

I couldn't agree more! :spidey:

I couldn't agree more! :spidey:
We aren't watching movies that are 12 movies in. Why are we to be expected by other fans in that way and/or the movies themselves to treat the movies like that?

12+ films? Thats alot of movies. I think that may be expecting abit much. did RDJ even make that many?

Also ironic since he has now been outed to the world and fans are still talking like marvels spider-man is a slow progression.

Last edited:
After seeing FFH, my feeling on MCU Spidey is basically the same as it was after Homecoming. Which is that Tom Holland is perfectly cast as Peter Parker, and if the writing ever gives him a chance he could easily become the best all-around Spidey.

The thing is while I find the MCU Spidey movies entertaining and "cute", I just cannot get too invested in this Tony Stark protege approach they've taken with the character and the lack of Uncle Ben, and everything that plenty of people have already voiced. It just feels disappointing to me that instead of just letting Spider-Man be the flagship, iconic character he is to the Marvel universe, they seem to have put more value in making him fit in super snugly to the world and tone they've created with the other films. Which is understandable, I just think the result is....OK. Definitely not terrible, but far from great.

And I love me some Marissa Tomei, but wow. They've basically made her being the hot, cool aunt as her defining character trait. I can't remember her having a single, actual dramatic scene in either film. She's a fun presence to have in the movie as a background character, but that's all they've got for May? Really?

I don't know. While I think both Homecoming and FFH are OK to good movies, and manage the impressive juggling act of attempting to tell Spider-Man stories within the narrative insanity that is the MCU right now....for movies about Marvel's flagship character being made at the height of Marvel's powers, I can't help but feel that the result is pretty underwhelming. Especially how stylistically flat the films are. Compared to Raimi's films and of course Spider-Verse, these ones feel painfully generic in execution. One thing I can certainly applaud is the casting of the villains. Keaton and Gyllenhaal both brought a level of gravitas to their respective films and were easily among some of the better MCU villains.

This basically sums up my feelings on MCU Spidey. It's more concerned with servicing the world than it is the character, something the ASM films also did, but their world wasn't beloved or even fully fleshed out. Tom Holland is a great Peter Parker, but it surprises me that a fan base that was so vocal about the Raimi's films lack of quips is fine with most of the humor in these films coming from Peter's lack of experience or his awestruck feeling most of the time. Vulture and Mystery are the Definite highlights of their respective films but both their origins being tied to Stark was a little much. I'm also not a fan of Spidey having all these resources available to him so early in career. May is also pretty much wasted and reduced to a punchline in these films. I can't imagine her giving Peter inspiration the way May does in SM2.

The problem is, I think they could've still given him a gradual coming of age arc without all this Tony Stark stuff. I'm not saying he had to be a fully formed character. But his development has felt wonky to me so far. It may have to do with the fact that there were these bigger plans in motion for Infinity War/Endgame when Spidey hopped aboard the MCU train, but it just felt awkward to me that his whole arc in Homecoming was about realizing he wasn't ready to be an Avenger yet, then immediately jumping into him getting involved (intentionally or not) into the biggest cosmic-scale war we've ever seen.

As I said though, the movies are entertaining and fun so I can enjoy the ride, but I think it's also fair to criticize the films on an individual level too. I don't agree with hand-waving everything the MCU does on an individual film-level that feels cheap or lazy just because they've got all these plates spinning at once. Especially when I just feel like I've seen better Spider-Man movies before. Like, MUCH better.

He's already outted to the world because Tony Stark outted himself as Iron Man to the world

His villains are basically Iron Man villains now

He wore the glasses, built the suit to AC/DC, etc etc etc

I'm friggin calling it now ; they're gonna pull that bull**** from Dan Slott's Superior Spider-Man run of Peter owning Parker Industries just to further emphasize these ridiculous parallels to Tony. I'm ****ing calling it, and if (or when) they do it they can OFFICIALLY miss me with this ****

Jon Watts is kinda already the Dan Slott of Spidey films at this point anyway

The problem is, I think they could've still given him a gradual coming of age arc without all this Tony Stark stuff. I'm not saying he had to be a fully formed character. But his development has felt wonky to me so far. It may have to do with the fact that there were these bigger plans in motion for Infinity War/Endgame when Spidey hopped aboard the MCU train, but it just felt awkward to me that his whole arc in Homecoming was about realizing he wasn't ready to be an Avenger yet, then immediately jumping into him getting involved (intentionally or not) into the biggest cosmic-scale war we've ever seen.

As I said though, the movies are entertaining and fun so I can enjoy the ride, but I think it's also fair to criticize the films on an individual level too. I don't agree with hand-waving everything the MCU does on an individual film-level that feels cheap or lazy just because they've got all these plates spinning at once. Especially when I just feel like I've seen better Spider-Man movies before. Like, MUCH better.

Eh, Infinity War did what all crossover events do, essentially ignore the plots of the individual books. And even then, it wasn’t like Pete changed his mind, he was just thrust into the situation.

As for better films, Spider-verse has definitely been the best. The others? I’d put them many rungs below what we’ve gotten.

Eh, Infinity War did what all crossover events do, essentially ignore the plots of the individual books. And even then, it wasn’t like Pete changed his mind, he was just thrust into the situation.

As for better films, Spider-verse has definitely been the best. The others? I’d put them many rungs below what we’ve gotten.

Spider-Verse was pretty incredible, but for my money Raimi's first two films compared to the MCU films still have...

Better suit
Better scores
Richer supporting characters and relationships
Better action and visual effects (which is saying something considering they're from the early 00s)
Better cinematography
Cooler style
More focused, emotionally engrossing storytelling that isn't muddied with all the universe-building stuff

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine. I'll certainly take the MCU Spidey over the Amazing series, and I still think this run has potential. It's breezy and entertaining, and Holland is a pleasure to watch in the role. But from a filmmaking standpoint, it's like...not even close to me.

As long as Sony are do and majority owners of the spider film rights this isn't ever going to change.

Was it not just last week that it was revealed that FFH needs to make a $Billion otherwise Sony can take Spidey back and out of the MCU? This stipulation being true or not doesn't really matter. The fact and the pointvto take note of is, Spider-Man's film rights aren't wholly Marvel/Disney's. Feige would be a fool to push and cement Spidey as the MCU's new emblem character when they don't fully own him.

I like the direction they've taken with the character because it's different but the essence of the mythology is still the same. We don't need a barman situation where his films can't help themselves but retell the story of his parent's death at every opportunity. They did this with the underwhelming ASM movies and it was a mistake. For me the MCU is too big and thankfully too interesting to get caught up in these issues when they can and have just gotten on with things and made changes that give Holland's take a distinguishable identity that doesn't heavily and irredeemably crap on the mythos.

Spider-Verse was pretty incredible, but for my money Raimi's first two films compared to the MCU films still have...

Better suit
Better scores
Better action and visual effects (which is saying something considering they're from the early 00s)
Better cinematography
Cooler style
More focused, emotionally engrossing storytelling that isn't muddied with all the universe-building stuff

I'll give you most of those
but idk, that suit hasn't held up well over the years, imo
the eyes were a really big breakthrough on the MCU suit, and the old raised webbing looks a bit cheese in retrospect

We aren't watching movies that are 12 movies in. Why are we to be expected by other fans in that way and/or the movies themselves to treat the movies like that?

He's already at 5... 7 more appearances seems like a no-brainer.

You are expected to treat Holland's Spider-Man as a different iteration than Tobey, Garfield, or 616. You can't put their growth or maturity on this new (VERY decompressed) version of the character.

And you are expected to treat the MCU as a unique thing than most movies. I mean, I guess you don't have to, but then you must hate Infinity War no? As it begins and ends with the expectation that you'll watch 20 other movies before and after it.

idk, your call man, but the MCU is more like a television series than a typical movie series.

Consider Tom Holland where Tobey was about 30 minutes into Raimi's first film. He hasn't even graduated high school yet for cripes sake!

Better suit
Better scores
Better cinematography
Cooler style

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine. I'll certainly take the MCU Spidey over the Amazing series, and I still think this run has potential. It's breezy and entertaining, and Holland is a pleasure to watch in the role. But from a filmmaking standpoint, it's like...not even close to me.

For me, Raimi’s films fall under par in almost all those respects. I do like the suit, but they’re about even for me. Things I like and dislike in both. Let’s be real, we’ve only really had one lackluster Spidey suit. We’re spoiled as Spidey fans.

Action - overall I’d say no. The train sequence is incredible. I don’t like SM2, but even I know that. However, Spider-Man’s action is not great, particularly the sequences with the Goblin, those look really dated. SM3 is a big mixed bag. Some good cgi, and some terrible. It’s strange, but it has sequences that look far worse than SM2 despite coming out years later.

Overall the MCU action is much more consistent, and in particular the Mysterio sequence and ending fight in FFH was very well done.

Cinematography- about a wash. Raimi’s does have good cinematography, but FFH had some of my favorite shots in the series too.

Style- No contest, MCU. Raimi’s corny humor worked for evil dead and very much did not for me in Spidey. I also didn’t like the overt Donner Supes references.

Supporting Cast- Neither have been perfect, but Raimi messed up characters I loved, whereas the MCU messed around with characters like Ned Leeds, Z listers in the comics who we never cared about. And they made him likeable. So that’s an easy MCU a win for me.

I do love the Raimi score, so I would probably give that to you.

Emotionally engrossing - I’ve personally connected far more with this Spidey.

So yeah, it’s no contest for me. Spider-Verse is still king, followed by TSSM cartoon if we’re including other media, and then the MCU films many steps above all the others.

He's already at 5... 7 more appearances seems like a no-brainer.

You are expected to treat Holland's Spider-Man as a different iteration than Tobey, Garfield, or 616. You can't put their growth or maturity on this new (VERY decompressed) version of the character.

And you are expected to treat the MCU as a unique thing than most movies. I mean, I guess you don't have to, but then you must hate Infinity War no? As it begins and ends with the expectation that you'll watch 20 other movies before and after it.

idk, your call man, but the MCU is more like a television series than a typical movie series.

Consider Tom Holland where Tobey was about 30 minutes into Raimi's first film. He hasn't even graduated high school yet for cripes sake!
This isn't a TV series. The Avengers movies with him, if he's in them, I don't think are going to strongly build him as a character. I think Cap got to 3rd movie (TWS) to have as a compelling character. I think TFA isn't strong as I'd want t to be based on it, I think, not showcasing that in that movie. GOTG 1 I think did that. I think IM1 did that. Why not Spider-Man? Why 12 movies?

I'm not watching the 12 movie. The movie out right now is the 5th movie. The 2nd with him as the main character.

Just think we are already on movie 3 with spider-man outed to the world and people are discussing movie 12? The way they are going what will be left by the time he graduates.

My theory is the whole outing of the identity will be undone by the end of the next film and moving forward he starts to be protective of his identity the same way he is in the comics. Dr. Strange will probably factor in, but the catch of the spell will be everyone forgets his identity(Ned, MJ, May and Happy). This will mean he no longer will have access to Stark tech(I imagine the Iron Spider suit getting destroyed by Scorpion/Spider Slayers) and he'll be the "Classic" Spider-Man moving forward.

Rewatched Spider-Man (2002) today and yeah, its superior to the MCU Spider-Man for me by far. No question about it and it makes me feel like the MCU Spidey films have been a missed opportunity in some ways. I still enjoy the MCU Spidey films, but there's so much to be desired.

Rewatched Spider-Man (2002) today and yeah, its superior to the MCU Spider-Man for me by far. No question about it and it makes me feel like the MCU Spidey films have been a missed opportunity in some ways. I still enjoy the MCU Spidey films, but there's so much to be desired.

Different strokes. To me nostalgia gets the 02 film a lot, but it’s still not even in the same category as MCU, let alone Spider-verse.

I remember yours from back in the day haha. mine is just from one of my fave scenes in film.

It’s a great scene. I’ll have to see if I can find the original scratch boards. I made two of them actually. They’re probably back in my parents house som. Man I miss the hype build up to TDK. Nothing has matched that level of intensity since. Spider-man 3’s build up was pretty huge too.

Even though I’m thankful for the number of quality superhero films being put out now, the one downside is that we don’t get the same level of hype building. Try to imagine a world where we won’t see the Joker on the big screen for 19 years. It’s almost impossible. And that there are only maybe two really big superhero films coming out in a summer, or even the entire year.

That kind of stuff made the build up to those films so huge, and it was fun. It was also nuts, like the epic mechs vs organics or perma-white debates, but it was fun.

It’s a great scene. I’ll have to see if I can find the original scratch boards. I made two of them actually. They’re probably back in my parents house som. Man I miss the hype build up to TDK. Nothing has matched that level of intensity since. Spider-man 3’s build up was pretty huge too.

Even though I’m thankful for the number of quality superhero films being put out now, the one downside is that we don’t get the same level of hype building. Try to imagine a world where we won’t see the Joker on the big screen for 19 years. It’s almost impossible. And that there are only maybe two really big superhero films coming out in a summer, or even the entire year.

That kind of stuff made the build up to those films so huge, and it was fun. It was also nuts, like the epic mechs vs organics or perma-white debates, but it was fun.
Agreed completely. I feel numb to it now and as if the novelty has worn off a bit. The hype for both S-M3 and TDK was so damn incredible, and it feels so damn long ago too. Like 20 years or something haha. I'm hopnig the hype for Matt Reeves Batman can echo times of old but we'll see. none of the MCU films have been able to get me as hyped as both of those films did.

My theory is the whole outing of the identity will be undone by the end of the next film and moving forward he starts to be protective of his identity the same way he is in the comics. Dr. Strange will probably factor in, but the catch of the spell will be everyone forgets his identity(Ned, MJ, May and Happy). This will mean he no longer will have access to Stark tech(I imagine the Iron Spider suit getting destroyed by Scorpion/Spider Slayers) and he'll be the "Classic" Spider-Man moving forward.

Its a theory that makes you wonder why the bothered with this trilogy in the first place if its being undone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"