Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
3.jpg

2.jpg

Too bad it won't be a launch title. :csad:

I wish this was a launch title, but it will be worth the wait.

How Metroid Prime 3 controls + Expert mode controls (simulates PC FPS control)

Hands-on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Retro Studios becomes the first developer to prove the potential of the Wii-mote with first-person titles.

by Matt Casamassina

September 14, 2006 - Readers have almost certainly heard the news: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption has been delayed into next year. Not exactly the development we were all waiting to hear. However, we do have some spectacular news to report, too, which is that Retro Studios has become the first developer to prove the potential of the Wii-mote with first-person titles. Corruption was sometimes-clumsily controlled at E3 2006, but thanks to a new control method designed specifically for pros, that's no longer the case.

As we played a new single-level demo of the Prime 3 at Nintendo's Wii event in New York City, the game's designers came upon and told us that we absolutely needed to try the new "expert" control mode. They explained that they hoped it would satisfy our cravings for first-person maneuverability similar to a mouse and keyboard configuration in FPSs on the PC platform.

We started up a new level where heroine Samus Aran explores a vast space station and immediately switched to expert mode. We're happy to report that it simulates the accuracy of PC first-person shooters almost perfectly, and we found ourselves soaring through levels, zipping around corners, pulling quick turns and zapping down enemies with pinpoint precision without seconds. Simply put, Retro has nailed it - and it makes the wait to 2007 for the game that much more difficult. We're not kidding when we write that Prime 3 feels like a brand new game with this control.

The latest level looks quite a bit more gorgeous than the two missions on display at E3 2006, both of which were also present again in addition to the third. In it, Samus treks through another futuristic station as it floats through the galaxy. She encounters a variety of old and new space pirates, must user her morph into ball form in order to navigate in-wall passageways, use bombs to blow away barriers, and more. Again, players will use the Wii-mote as an extension of Aran's hand to open some doors. Hit the A button and near some locks and the option to thrust Aran's arm forward and into the object, which can then be twisted and turned with a gesture, feels as responsive as ever.

Some of the game's in-game cinemas are very atmospheric and impressive. In one scene, Samus must go into morphball mode and drop a bomb to propel herself into a nearby airlock. When she triggers the airlock, a cut-scene ensues that shows the character jettisoned into space, where she floats underneath a gigantic ship and eventually grabs onto a protruding lever and pulls herself back in through a gap in the structure. It looks absolutely fabulous - and you'll be able to see it for yourself in some of our movies coming soon.

Samus is controlled with the analog stick on the nunchuck attachment; its Z button makes her jump and double-jump and the C button rolls her into morphball form. The Wii-mote, meanwhile, is simply aimed at the screen for near-perfect accuracy. The process of turning - an issue in previous builds - is no longer problematic with the inclusion of expert control. Pressing the A button fires her weapon and the B trigger is still used for locking onto enemies.

The game is not yet running in 16:9 widescreen mode, but Retro is still looking into it. It does, however, support progressive-scan. We have to say, the new level looks great. Texture resolutions have been bumped up, bloom lighting complements areas, and the particle effects system is better than ever. Really, watch our latest videos and we think you'll be pretty impressed. The game runs for the most part at 60 frames per second, but we did notice a few spots where the fluidity dipped.

After E3 2006, our optimistic outlook on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption transformed purely into hope that Retro would not overlook the controls. But our optimism is back and stronger than ever. There is no doubt in our mind now that Prime 3 is going to play and look great when it finally arrives next year. Samus officially joins Galaxy and Brawl on 2007's must-have list.

I can't wait to play this game.

I prefer my metroid like I prefer my significant others, waggle free. But I'll adapt.

Zenien, I'm gonna be needing you to change your avatar to Leela from Futurama.

XwolverineX said:
Metroid Prime is boring.

Your Mum is boring.

I found Metroid to be a great mix of FPS, platforming, puzzles, exploration, and boss fights. The control system at the time it came out I considered to be perfect. When I played it recently, I did find that it was awkward to turn and aim in a fight. That should be solved with the Wii-mote.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748547/vid_1672588.html

The full demo sequence from the recent Nintendo Event. Takes place during
A Galactic Federation/Space Pirate conflict

I REALLY hope they redo the
Bridge captain, his voice, basically the entire Bridge sequence
:o

It's being played by someone who sucks, on expert controls.

Metroid Prime 3 out "when it's perfect" says Reggie
Monday 19-Feb-2007 12:53 PM But will it release before Christmas 2007 as promised?
FPS fans eagerly awaiting the release of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption could be in for quite a wait, with Reggie Fils-Aime pledging that it won't release until its perfect.

The Nintendo of America president told MTV News: "The focus on 'Prime 3' is to make that the stellar game for a first-person experience on the platform.

"What that means is we're going to make sure it's perfect when we launch it."

Could it become the next Twilight Princess, which was delayed for almost two years? Reggie counts on you considering the wait to be worth it, saying that if the release is "a little later than folks would have liked, I'm hoping they're going to be happy. They certainly seem to be happy that we took our time with 'The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess."

CVG walked away decisively pleased after hands-on time with the demo Retro put on show at E3 2006, so the release can't be that far off. Unless it's delayed to add an online multiplayer mode, which would be nice.

A Nintendo UK correspondent has today told CVG: "We've made no announcements to when MP3 will arrive in the UK."

Fils-aime also apologised for the ongoing difficulty of finding a Wii, reaffirming that production of the console has been accelerated to one million consoles per month, and will see further increases in future

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748547/vid_1672588.html[/URL]

That's exactly what I posted...:oldrazz:

What was wrong with the bridge sequence? Aside from the Captain's armor looking a little too else-worlds, I thought it was flawless and very intense. The cinematics are smooth; I was impressed. The voice, while a little jarring at first, has character, not some one trying to alter their voice. It's Jeffrey Combs-like. But really, it's the first time we hear ANYONE truly speak in a Nintendo game, so it's understandable.

So, with news a bit scarce at least up until GDC, how does everyone feel about the possibility of this game being delayed longer than expected? Personally, I wouldn't mind.

Huge Metroid Prime 3 spoilers leaked
Monday 25-Jun-2007 10:21 AM The biggest revolution in FPS "since Halo" says US magazine
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, heading for Wii later this year, could be one of the best FPS games ever made according to early impressions from Play magazine, who also revealed some juicy new details (OMG Spoilers!).

MP3 is very much aimed at the hardcore gamer, says the preview (via GoNintendo). The controls, which use the Wii Remote like a gun while you move with the Nunchuk (ala Red Steel) have been greatly refined according to the magazine, who goes so far as to say that it betters dual-analogue setups.

An 'advanced' control option makes the pointer extra sensitive for more confident players, and visor switching is done by holding the minus button and flicking the Remote in different directions.

The game will now feature weapon stacking (whereby you combine different beams to make one stronger beam, rather than switch between them) which is back from the days of Super Metroid - something we're very pleased to hear.

Play also revealed (here come those spoilers) that the first level begins with Samus being attacked while meeting with the captain of another spaceship, where she is embroiled in a chaotic battle. This levels later ends with a battle with fan favourite, Ridley.

The second level is apparently set in a floating city. Larger environments means a far bigger emphasis is placed on open exploration, as Metroid games should be.

Alas, no multiplayer options were revealed.

Huge Metroid Prime 3 spoilers leaked
Monday 25-Jun-2007 10:21 AM The biggest revolution in FPS "since Halo" says US magazine
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, heading for Wii later this year, could be one of the best FPS games ever made according to early impressions from Play magazine, who also revealed some juicy new details (OMG Spoilers!).

MP3 is very much aimed at the hardcore gamer, says the preview (via GoNintendo). The controls, which use the Wii Remote like a gun while you move with the Nunchuk (ala Red Steel) have been greatly refined according to the magazine, who goes so far as to say that it betters dual-analogue setups.

An 'advanced' control option makes the pointer extra sensitive for more confident players, and visor switching is done by holding the minus button and flicking the Remote in different directions.

The game will now feature weapon stacking (whereby you combine different beams to make one stronger beam, rather than switch between them) which is back from the days of Super Metroid - something we're very pleased to hear.

Play also revealed (here come those spoilers) that the first level begins with Samus being attacked while meeting with the captain of another spaceship, where she is embroiled in a chaotic battle. This levels later ends with a battle with fan favourite, Ridley.

The second level is apparently set in a floating city. Larger environments means a far bigger emphasis is placed on open exploration, as Metroid games should be.

Alas, no multiplayer options were revealed.

Sounds great. I'm really looking forward to this. They better advertise the hell out of this game because the first two sales weren't as big as they should have been for a game so good.

I preordered it last week before the post E3 rush happened. I can't wait for this game....the only problem is I never finished much of Echoes at all...so I need to go out and find it so I can beat it.

I read that it's been confirmed to have no online play. I love Nintendo, LOVE them but if they keep setting on their hands when it comes to online gaming its going to hurt them.

And Why should it have online play??? Honestly MP3 doesn't even have multiplayer, if you want to play Metroid online pick up MP: Hunters for the DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"