Metroid: Other M

I never asked for cutscenes. I only wanted voice acting ala Half-Life 2, and that's what we got in Corruption. This game beats narrative over our head like it's trying to be Metal Gear Solid, and I think you'll find that there are quite a few Metroid fans who didn't want that. In fact, the last thing on my mind when I played Metroid Prime was "needs moar unskippable CG cut-scenes." That's not to say narrative doesn't belong in games (there are many games with great stories), but Metroid has always been decidedly minimalist when it comes to narrative. There was truckloads of mythology behind everything and a little narrative did exist, but if there's one thing Metroid has never been accused of before, it's heavy handed storytelling.

Last edited:
Meh, can we move on...this argument has gotten stale.

In other news
Fighting Nightmare and Phantoon again was awesome.

And yea, I agree that there were scenes that were a bit off and the voice acting was pretty on par with most Resident Evils, but over all the story was interesting to me, and didn't offend me in the least.

I do hope that they take to heart the criticism this game has garnered and use that to make a better sequel.

GameSpot has an interview with Sakamoto up. I've not watched it, but according to the headline on the GoNintendo post about it, he wants to hear reactions to Other M which could influence the next Metroid game.

I really hope he gets one together to be released not long after the 3DS releases.

Metroid would make an awesome game for 3D...in fact hopefully it'll follow Fusion in the timeline as I want to know what happens after that game.

I want the next game to deal with the splinter group of the federation as they try to go after samus or something. I think it can be cool.

As for Ridley I am a lifelong Metriod fan and I loved the scene. To each there own but the other games took place with no real show of reaction of Samus. To kill your enemy that destoryed your youth only to have him come back like a nightmare when you for sure knew him to be dead I think would freeze anyone. However Samus overcame that fear and faced the nightmare in the face. She got help, but in the end it was her who faced the nightmare and over came it. I think that shows the resolve of the character and only makes her stronger, not a damel in distress. If you think thats what the game made her, you really havent played it.

Considering that Samus is now basically a fugitive at the end of Fusion, Having her trying to stay out of the Federation's radar would make for a cool game.

Or as you said, maybe have that splinter group of the Federation after her would also be really cool.

There is a lot of different directions they could take the story post Fusion.

Did she get her regular power suit at the end of Fusion? Don't care much for the Fusion suit.

It was still the Fusion suit, only it reverted to her normal orange/red color scheme.

I'm sure they'll find a way in the sequel to mesh the Fusion aspect of her suit to her regular Varia Suit.

Yahtzee has his review of this game up. I won't link it since it's semi-NSFW, but FYI.

I'll be watching it tonight, I enjoy his reviews even though he's not meant to be taken seriously in the least.

Yeah. He complains about every game, even Red Read Redemption.

Finished the game with Epilouge last night. While not my favorite Metroid game, I still thought it was pretty good. I'd rate it alongside Metroid 2 and Fusion in the series. As a I said earlier, I think this game would've been better if placed earlier in the timeline due to the story. I felt the controls worked well and wouldn't mind the same scheme, but only if they found a way to incorporate the nunchuk for analog control and ability to move in first person. I liked both third and first person modes, not being able to move in first person caused unnecessary hits though. Concentration should definitely be nixed, along with only being able to use missles in first person, both bad calls and my biggest complaints about the game. Only other thing that bothered me was the length and the lack of variety of enviroments, the game did look great, but I think the original Prime was the best in the series simply for the variety of enviroments, I always looked forward to getting to the next portion of the game to see what the new area would look like. Overall, a good experiment in the Metroid series, but could definitely be improved upon in a sequel.

I wonder if a lot of it had to do with the departure in style from Prime?

It was too mature for the idiot CoD generation.

I don't think that's a fair assessment (or an accurate one).

I think it's simply that the Wii has had infamously low sales for a lot of "hardcore" games, and Metroid is no different.

Maybe next time they should put a Mii on the box.

I've been going through the epilogue... wish you could've collected more items BEFORE the game was over. I actually like Other M quite a bit, but Prime is still my favorite. There were alot of things from the Prime series I missed, as well as some frustrations... the combat/dodge system I liked. I think they've got a good formula with potential, it just needs tweaking. The one thing I truly did not like... where was the damn music? Prime had some great atmospheric tunes... there was hardly any music to speak of in Other M.

I didn't buy it because of the characterization of Samus. I played it for about an hour and just couldn't stand any more. So I sent it back to Gamefly and didn't even bother to buy it.

Samus herself didn't really bother me. I just missed the utter isolation and exploration of Prime. What I mean to say is, it's everyone else in the game that bothered me.

Samus didn't bother me either. People said she was whiny, but eh, it wasn't all that bad to me. And it was almost all inner monologue, too, which was understandable

I think it's pretty obvious... People didn't like having a Metroid game with no exploration and little sense of isolation, the controls were clunky, the movies felt long, were badly written, and unskippable, and they turned gaming's most badass female into a cliched anime moeblob. The game couldn't decide who it was being made for, and as a result it left a lot of players unsatisfied. Once a game starts getting bad post-release word of mouth it's had for it to bounce back, so it's not really a big surprise that the sales declined much faster than the other games in the series.

Last edited:
Why am I not surprised that out of all the reasons I mentioned that the game did not meet Nintendo's expectations, the first one you take beef with is my statement that fans didn't like how Samus was depicted? :rolleyes:

It's not even like it's not an accurate reason... Ask just about anyone who doesn't like Other M and 4 out of 5 times they'll mention that they don't like Samus's character, amongst other reasons. The biggest problems I have with Other M are actually about how the game is very linear and does not emphasize exploration like the other games do. Your weapons are unlocked through the story rather than earned through exploration and combat, which makes the whole thing feel much more scripted. I also think that the first person aiming mechanic is half assed and the lack of nunchuk support makes the game very awkward to play. Samus's depiction in the game is high on my list of reasons I don't like it, but at the end of the day if Samus was depicted well in the game I still wouldn't have liked it.

Last edited:
Nintendo should just give Metroid back to Retro Studios. They can go the FPS route again, or keep it sidescroller... and truly left to right sidescrolling too. My thumb got sore everytime I played Other M from having to move diagonally in a 3D space. Hell, Retro can keep Metroid and DK, and let them bring Yoshi's Island back too.

I'm not going to get into this again. You decided to hate it before you even played it.

My problem with people complaining about Samus is they think she was this great female role model just because she acted like a man. Yet when they develop her and give her some emotion, it's all of a sudden made her a rape victim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"