Metroid: Other M

The problem is not that they wanted to give Samus some character-- the problem is that her character does not match up with what people expected based on the previous games. What made Samus cool was that she was a female character who demonstrated that you don't have to be a male to be the toughest bounty hunter in the galaxy. She was an empowered female character who didn't revolve around gender politics. When people got a version of Samus with co-dependency issues and a bit of an Electra complex, it's not surprising that may fans felt betrayed. The issue fans who don't like the game will cite is not that Samus had emotions, but that the emotional makeup they chose for her turned her into an anime gender stereotype.

The problem is not that they wanted to give Samus some character-- the problem is that her character does not match up with what people expected based on the previous games. What made Samus cool was that she was a female character who demonstrated that you don't have to be a male to be the toughest bounty hunter in the galaxy. She was an empowered female character who didn't revolve around gender politics. When people got a version of Samus with co-dependency issues and a bit of an Electra complex, it's not surprising that may fans felt betrayed. The issue fans who don't like the game will cite is not that Samus had emotions, but that the emotional makeup they chose for her turned her into an anime gender stereotype.

No, the problem isn't that it didn't match up with what was in previous games, it's that it didn't match up with some expectations that were totally self-made. There was no expectations from previous games because she had very little, to absolutely no, personality in those games, she was a walking nothing. People expected a female Han Solo, and when they didn't get that, they tried to rail against it, making up how it went against a characterization that wasn't there.

God, if you don't like the characterization, fine, but spare the whole 'it doesn't match' crap. At the very least, have enough decency to go with that, instead of trying to conjure some stink from out of nowhere.

For your theory to work though, that would imply that the fanbase was in disagreement over who Samus was, which is not the case. In general people agreed that she was the strong silent type who enjoys solitude and the independence of being a freelancer. Hardly anyone in the fanbase would have contested this, and yet when Other M came out, the version of Samus we saw was not compatible with the previous assumptions about Samus. Other M's Samus is much more timid, has serious detachment issues regarding Adam, and is shown to have been excluded socially rather than being someone who chooses to be alone. Forgive me if I find it a bit hard to believe that Metroid's hundreds of thousands of fans after all these years have been wrong about Samus's character, and we all happened to come to the same false conclusions about her and only now can we all see just how wrong we are.

It's not just a matter of Metroid having grown to be bigger than its creator (or in this case, one of its co-creators)-- obviously, what was present in the past games was enough for fans to come to draw conclusions about the character of Samus, however dark and mysterious she was. She was not a blank slate-- she was more like a sculpture whose details had yet to be defined, but Other M took that sculpture, squashed the clay and then reshaped it into something that looked quite a bit different from what people had seen originally.

I don't think the fanbase overreacted at all. After 4 chronologically numbered Metroid games and the Metroid Prime trilogy, there are certain things that I think are fair for people to expect in a Metroid game. Fans expect a game with a heavy emphasis on exploration and navigation, and with Other Me they got a linear action game. The fans expected a female protagonist who was strong, rational, and independent regardless of gender politics, and in other M they got the opposite.

For your theory to work though, that would imply that the fanbase was in disagreement over who Samus was, which is not the case.

Not at all. I'll call it the Bobba Fett syndrome. A character that literally had no characterization outside Vader going 'Yo, this dude bad', but people latched on to him as this badass bounty hunter. There is literally nothing in the original movies that implies that, and in fact, his original death seems to imply he was far from badass, and probably meant as a bounty hunter who happened to get lucky and have the right friends (of course Lucas tried to recton all this when he realized how marketable the character was, but looking at the original films, it's an unavoidable conclusion).

If you want an example closer to home, let's look at Zelda. Almost everyone hated the characterization of Link in that old 'toon from the 80s. And why? It didn't match what people thought. They thought he was some kind of warrior in the vain of, I don't know, Aragon or something. Not some perverted kid who happened to be good with a sword. And there's nothing, nothing in the Zelda titles to make anyone think he would be either. He's a nothing character, pretty much like Samus, but over time people have slapped certain stereotypes to them that there becomes this psuedo-characterization that a lot of people adhere to, but there's nothing within the actual games to support that outside 'a silent loner', which people often misunderstand, anyway.

In short, a lot of people saw a Han Solo sewed upon a featureless doll, and got mad when that was peeled away to be a Luke Skywalker.

In general people agreed that she was the strong silent type who enjoys solitude and the independence of being a freelancer. Hardly anyone in the fanbase would have contested this, and yet when Other M came out, the version of Samus we saw was not compatible with the previous assumptions about Samus. Other M's Samus is much more timid, has serious detachment issues regarding Adam, and is shown to have been excluded socially rather than being someone who chooses to be alone. Forgive me if I find it a bit hard to believe that Metroid's hundreds of thousands of fans after all these years have been wrong about Samus's character, and we all happened to come to the same false conclusions about her and only now can we all see just how wrong we are.
You see, the thing that gets me about the whole thing, is this whole 'silent loner' thing is pretty much how Samus acts in Other M, externally. What people seem to gloss over is most of the game is internal. It's Samus narrating past memories, past bad memories, after going through a traumatic experience. Not to say she's perfectly what you're apparently wanting, but I bet if they stripped away those narrations, and just stuck to the external stuff, most of the complaints would be much lower, because it's really not that far from the character people wanted. But we were going into Samus' head here, and her head was not a Han Solo/Bobba Fett clone.

Not to mention the problems had, the 'whining', the 'dependency issues' aren't nearly as bad they're made out to be. I've seen worse. About the only thing that seems valid is her reaction to Ridley, but eh, even that isn't all that bad in context.

It's not just a matter of Metroid having grown to be bigger than its creator (or in this case, one of its co-creators)-- obviously, what was present in the past games was enough for fans to come to draw conclusions about the character of Samus, however dark and mysterious she was. She was not a blank slate-- she was more like a sculpture whose details had yet to be defined, but Other M took that sculpture, squashed the clay and then reshaped it into something that looked quite a bit different from what people had seen originally.
No, that's exactly what it is. Want to prove me wrong? Okay, let's start looking at some examples. Where's this 'sculpture' coming from? She's barely spoken at all, barely done anything at all. Far as I know, the only time we've seen any read signs of characterization is that manga based on Metroid (which apparently matches Other M fairly well, from what I hear, but I know you've dismissed in the past), and I think she talked some in Zero Mission, but only a small bit. Outside that, she's basically been a walking mannequin ala Link from the previous analogy. So, I guess enlighten me here, where has this 'strong silent type who enjoys solitude and the independence of being a freelancer' come from at all that you can re-enforce from more than 'well, she's silent, and the story tells us she's freelance, so obviously...'?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"