BvS Metropolis look in Superman/Batman

Yeah, continuity takes a back seat here. Metropolis deserves more character, and since Supes and his "friends" destroyed a big chunk of it, why not go for it? Go for a more "City of Tomorrow" vibe, courtesy of Lexcorp.
What's nice is that the continuity actually kind of justifies the city being rebuilt in a new way.

What does that have to do with shooting on-location? Obviously the falling car would likely be CG. But Cavill and Shannon were in front of a green screen when they choreographed that scene, and it would have benefited the backdrop if it actually looked real.
You can't do those efects and manipulate the city to do that kind of damage to the city. That was my point. I know it was CGI but it was good CGI I didn't noticed the background not being real. IMO it was a good job. But again I'd be happy and agree with you that we need more filming location. :cwink:

What's nice is that the continuity actually kind of justifies the city being rebuilt in a new way.
As far as I know they're not even returning to Chicago, so they will kind of be forced to film a new look anyway.

You can't do those efects and manipulate the city to do that kind of damage to the city. That was my point. I know it was CGI but it was good CGI I didn't noticed the background not being real. IMO it was a good job. But again I'd be happy and agree with you that we need more filming location. :cwink:
I was referring to the gif 'herolee' posted, which had nothing extraordinary in the shot beside the falling, fiery car. It was an empty street, with empty cars strewn about. That's what I mean when I say it was relatively easy to capture that specific shot on-location.

As for the overall destruction, then yes, of course that would have to be CG. but there's something to be said of compositing (see Elysium's LA or Dredd's Mega-City) rather than all-out computer imagery. A viewer can easily tell the difference in quality, without necessarily knowing the technicalities behind the shot.

Plus, I think Bay proved three consecutive times it's absolutely possible to wreck city blocks for real. But there's no one quite like him, so perhaps that is an exception.

As far as I know they're not even returning to Chicago, so they will kind of be forced to film a new look anyway.

I was referring to the gif 'herolee' posted, which had nothing extraordinary in the shot beside the falling, fiery car. It was an empty street, with empty cars strewn about. That's what I mean when I say it was relatively easy to capture that specific shot on-location.

As for the overall destruction, then yes, of course that would have to be CG. but there's something to be said of compositing (see Elysium's LA or Dredd's Mega-City) rather than all-out computer imagery. A viewer can easily tell the difference in quality, without necessarily knowing the technicalities behind the shot.

Plus, I think Bay proved three consecutive times it's absolutely possible to wreck city blocks for real. But there's no one quite like him, so perhaps that is an exception.

I saw Elysium. It was great handled in that aspect. But I wouldn't compare the two cause IMO they hadn't the same goals visaully talking but I kind of getting what you're saying. But we can say that this scene wasn't the only one that the VFX need to work. there was plenty of them. Again I know it was CGI but it was a good work on that aspect and it make me feel the real city. I'd say also that the effect of the light in Zod vs Superman fight was decreasing "sunset effect" I call it.
Don't know if you haven't heard this but its a rumor that says that they'll film for almost 10 months (not confirmed). I think it will be many of location filming this time. But I don't think the difficulty of the powers would be greater than in MOS. could be wrong and there'd be a cliffhanger amazingly shocking but I guess this time the presence of Batman will decrease the level of shocking powers in comparisson with MOS.

Because Metropolis was so cool looking in Man of Steel...

Metropolis looked like a simple boring New York copycat in Man of Steel. There wasn't really any visual element in the city.
Again, Metropolis wasn't a big part of MOS anyway, so there was no real reason to make it distinctive since we didn't spend a whole lot of time there. Heck the most screentime that the city got in MOS involved a chunk of it getting blown up by Zod's ship. If Metropolis has a bigger presence in BVS (which I think it will) then I can see Snyder taking more time to make it look more distinctive. Plus, there'd be an actual story reason for it, with part of the city being rebuilt after the destruction in MOS (likely by Lexcorp).

I wonder if Clark will have his own apartment in Metropolis now.

Again, Metropolis wasn't a big part of MOS anyway, so there was no real reason to make it distinctive since we didn't spend a whole lot of time there. Heck the most screentime that the city got in MOS involved a chunk of it getting blown up by Zod's ship. If Metropolis has a bigger presence in BVS (which I think it will) then I can see Snyder taking more time to make it look more distinctive. Plus, there'd be an actual story reason for it, with part of the city being rebuilt after the destruction in MOS (likely by Lexcorp).

^ This.
Look at how much Asgard changed from the first Thor to the dark world. There was more time spent on Asgard, and it changed stylistically a pretty decent amount. I have no doubt that they will do the same for Metropolis, and you bring up a good point with the destruction and the possible inclusion of Lexcorp.

:up: Agreed.

It would be cool if he did. It would add some personal touches to the character.
Yeah it would be nice to see that.

tumblr_myh8gdFLQN1rm8w66o1_500.png

I think Snyder will focus the difference visually speaking between Gotham and Metropolis.

Lex... Stop picking on that nice Parker kid.

I like how Denny O. described the Gotham/Metropolis difference by simply invoking NYC in two different places and at two different times off the year. Metropolis is like walking through Central Park's great lawn on a spring afternoon, with kids playing in the grass, you're eating an ice cream cone you've just bought as you stroll around taking in the sights of the tall buildings and skyline surrounding you. When villains come into Metropolis to disturb it's bucolic urban splendor they are up-ending it's seemingly natural order.

Gotham City as Denny put's it is like walking around lower Manhattan on a particularly cold fall night around 2am, when suddenly behind you comes the sound of footsteps. In Gotham, even when the villains are not around it's as though the potential for chaos and violence is around every street corner (or down any alleyway). The worst of metropolitan life is just par for the course in that town.

Notice nether description relies on a "look" per se, but on evoking an emotional response. It's about the tone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"