The City of Tomorrow: The Metropolis Thread

I like the idea of a massive, sprawling city, but it can't look like Gotham or Mega-City one from Dredd. Like a cleaner (friendlier lol) New York City. Nothing too futuristic / sci-fi (this isn't Krypton), but really embody that City of Tomorrow moniker.

arseniy-chebynkin-modern-metropolis-twilight-d2.jpg
I think Lex would have played a huge part in metropolis looking so art deco and futuristic.
I see him as a Trump type, ie, into building bigger and better skyscrapers.
It spurs competition among other billionaires, and before long metropolis has the biggest and tallest skyline in the world

Do y'all think that Gunn and co. will use multiple cities for Metropolis like The Batman's Gotham (London, Glasgow, Liverpool, Chicago, New York) alongside sets?

It’s possible. If the rumors of shooting in Atlanta are true, I think that provides a good foundation, but throwing in a couple other locations might go a long way toward making Metropolis feel like its own thing.

Do y'all think that Gunn and co. will use multiple cities for Metropolis like The Batman's Gotham (London, Glasgow, Liverpool, Chicago, New York) alongside sets?

I'm sure in Atlanta they'll find some nice locations that look metropolitan and not New York-y. Peachtree Street looks great.

It's a pipe dream for sure, but I'd love it if they went to Singapore for a shot or two.

Helix-Bridge.jpg

Marina-Bay-Sands.jpg

Na, I want my Metropolis to not feel artificial and soulless.

(I kid)

that’s an interesting idea. What are the happiest cities on earth at the moment? I think the list was Oslo, Vancouver, Melbourne so maybe a mixture of them all? Too hard to film in all of them of course

I suppose it depends how active superman has been active. If he’s just starting I could see metropolis being a tiny bit crime ridden. Not Gotham bad but not great either

'New Urbem' in The Incredibles 2 was a fantastic mix of mid century modern and futuristic elements. I would love to see a Metropolis that looked very close to this.

d002bf3c-4d5e-4fc1-a115-18caa6ee63d4_screenshot.jpg

Incredibles-2-2018-movie-091.jpg

The city shots in Blue Beetle look quite futuristic and also featurs LexCorp. Obviously BB isn't the first look at what the new reboot will be but it might be a hint.

I want a city that dwarfs New York or Tokyo in shear number of skyscrapers, and of course Lex-corp would be the tallest.

Lex would be a key reason metropolis has so many skyscrapers and looks so futuristic.
He would have started a competition among billionaires on building the biggest, tallest, and the most skyscrapers.
5b274481c5adafecb6112a2b_rw_1920-1.jpg
fictional-cities-2.jpg

Last edited:
Na, I want my Metropolis to not feel artificial and soulless.

(I kid)
You may kid, but you also kinda make a valid point. Fancy futuristic architecture is fine when Superman is flying around but you also want to make Metropolis feel like a real place where actual people live.

The city shots in Blue Beetle look quite futuristic and also featurs LexCorp. Obviously BB isn't the first look at what the new reboot will be but it might be a hint.

The city is like the only enticing part of the trailers to me

Remember if Blue Beetle flops, it never happened. :o

Remember if Blue Beetle flops, it never happened. :o

I'm still a bit confused as to what will and won't be considered canon moving forward. For instance, we already know that Peacemaker Season 1 takes place in the Snyderverse, right? Well, what exactly does that mean for Season 2, which is apparently set in the nascent DCU? Are the two seasons connected, or will Season 2 be a mild reboot of the series (vaguely similar to what's happening with the MCU's Daredevil: Born Again Christian)?

I'm still a bit confused as to what will and won't be considered canon moving forward. For instance, we already know that Peacemaker Season 1 takes place in the Snyderverse, right? Well, what exactly does that mean for Season 2, which is apparently set in the nascent DCU? Are the two seasons connected, or will Season 2 be a mild reboot of the series (vaguely similar to what's happening with the MCU's Daredevil: Born Again Christian)?
They should have waited until after The Flash to announce yeah nothing matters.

So it’s looking like we’re in for a mix of Atlanta, Charlotte and NYC?

Ideally the first two more than the third, because NYC as Metropolis has certainly been done. Although that was also some time ago, so… we’ll see.

Hopefully they lean heavily into Charlotte. Lots of green space. I always imagined Metropolis having plenty of green space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"