Miami Vice

I just saw the episode this film was inspired by.....SMUGGLER'S BLUES...and man, it's easy to see the connection. Crockett and Tubbs were pretty serious dudes in the episode.

I personally just did not enjoy Miami Vice that much. I liked Collateral much more.

Just watched Heat again today, and i watched collateral last night, and wow. Michael Mann must not have been feeling well throughout this whole movies production.

Your in my top 5 fave directors Mann, please blow me away again.

This movie is the next Heat for Mann. It's a flop right now, but in a few years, more people will appreciate it.

Yah right, I loved Heat when i saw it, and i love it now. I went through Miami Vice just thinking that it was a perfect example of a movie that did not live up to its trailer...sad to say but i think its true.

This is just my opinion tho:).

i saw this again a few nights ago and hated it more than ever before... i honestly can't see how anyone could like it, even considering some kind of blind loyalty to micheal mann... this movie was flat out aweful in almost every way.

the camera work was downright pitiful, and (i know it was shot digitally, but that doesn't make it right) it looks like a high schooler shot it for his movie class... the cinematography was just balls all the way through.

the sound was crap, too. the music was great, but the sound effects were... incosistant to say the least. sometimes you couldn't even hear punches land (for exaple) and it didn't help.

the dialogue was bad. i would have thought he'd have slipped a few great lines in there, but nope. and driving around and looking "moody" for 2 hours doesn't replace dialogue, or make your character's cool... it makes the movie boring. very, very boring.

the "action" was garbage. how people give that shootout at the end any kind of recognition is beyond me. it looked so amateur i could hardly believe it.

if you're going to put 17 sex scenes in your movie, at least make them good sex scenes. otherwise, what's the point? (and no, i don't just mean, "put more boobies") althought that would have helped, i mean, make them mean something, or have some kind of pertinance to the story.

all in all, this movie was just plain crap. and i honestly can't see why anyone enjoyed it.

I am a huge Michael Mann fan, but i was honestly bored to tears with this movie.

I think the biggest mistake made by audiences was thinking it was an action film. It's not.

And, as to "not living up to the trailer".......I mean, trailer's a meant to create hype. The existence of trailers are to draw people in and get viewers. Otherwise, no film would ever release a trailer. It's why Spider-man 3 is probably already securing tons and tons of tickets simply by hyping audiences up.

I think it's a good film. Listening to the commentary also provides insight on Mann's process in making the film. It's probably a film that also suffered from poor editing as well. The Director's Cut was better than the original, too.

The sequel should be interesting, I think. I'd imagine the sequel will want to amp the action up to the max just to shut people up.

I really liked Miami Vice too. I really enjoyed the gritty nature and how captured the essence of two undercover cops. Is it Michael Mann's best film? No. Far from it. I rank Heat and Collateral way above Miami Vice. However, Vice is a great film in my opinion and I was able to keep my attention for the two full hours it was on the screen.

I truly believe some of the audience and hardcore fans went in expecting a two hour action film with corny one liners, an 80's soundtrack, and some more cool references to the television show. I will say one of my main gripes about the film was that they didn't incorporate Phil Collin's "In The Air Tonight" during the shoot-out or the drive to the trailer park.

Jamie and Colin didn't seem to have much chemistry together. I would've had Terrance Howard play the role of Tubbs if I were casting.

But as a whole? I really enjoyed the film, I loved the camera work, loved the gritty nature of it, and the guy who played the main villain really stole the show in my opinion.

The Director's Cut was better than the original, too.

The original is the better cut. The original had a better opening and didn't misuse "In the Air Tonight" like the "Directors" cut did (Mann says in the commentary the theatrical is his cut, the UDC was just an alternate cut of the film.) I did like the extra scene with Trudy/Tubbs and Crockett/Isabella though. The Unrated cut is just around to lip service people who whined "It lacked action" and "wasn't like the TV show" (which it in fact is.)

This is probably the most misunderstood film of this year. It's one of those that doesn't spell everything out for you and requires you think about it as the film goes along. It was a risk Mann took, and I applaud him for it. His best film? No, that is clearly Heat. One of the best films of last year? Second only to Children of Men IMO.

MIAMI VICE was terribly disappointing. As a Michael Mann fan, I expected more. I didn't give a damn about whether it was close to the TV show or not, but I did give a damn as to whether it was a good film. And it wasn't.

The biggest problem with MIAMI VICE isn't the poor dialogue, it's the fact that Crockett and Tubbs are unlikeable cardboard characters with no depth or personality (unless a furrowed brow passes for personality). That damns the film. I don't care about the story because I don't care about the characters, I care even less about the love story, and even the action doesn't really have a whole lot of drama to it (though it is excellently shot).

Otherwise, Mann's visual style is beautiful to behold, but it can't hold up an otherwise uninvolving film.

i think that truthfully, if nobody outside of production knew that mann was directing this, like, if they kept it a secret, and maybe told people that paul anderson, or uwe boll, or someone like that had directed this film, and released it the same as it is now, it'd be one of the most hated films out there. it really is an awful film, through and through. but just because it has mann's name on it, people give it all the excuses in the world.

The original is the better cut. The original had a better opening and didn't misuse "In the Air Tonight" like the "Directors" cut did (Mann says in the commentary the theatrical is his cut, the UDC was just an alternate cut of the film.) I did like the extra scene with Trudy/Tubbs and Crockett/Isabella though. The Unrated cut is just around to lip service people who whined "It lacked action" and "wasn't like the TV show" (which it in fact is.)

This is probably the most misunderstood film of this year. It's one of those that doesn't spell everything out for you and requires you think about it as the film goes along. It was a risk Mann took, and I applaud him for it. His best film? No, that is clearly Heat. One of the best films of last year? Second only to Children of Men IMO.

lol! what was to think about?! this movie was about as straight forward as they come!

i think that truthfully, if nobody outside of production knew that mann was directing this, like, if they kept it a secret, and maybe told people that paul anderson, or uwe boll, or someone like that had directed this film, and released it the same as it is now, it'd be one of the most hated films out there. it really is an awful film, through and through. but just because it has mann's name on it, people give it all the excuses in the world.

We don't know that for sure since they probably would have directed it differently.

Exaggeration or not, that's just stupid.

This movie sucked hard. I loved Heat and Collateral but I don't know what the **** happened here. I like watching movies to the end no matter how boring or awful but I really struggled to make it to the end of this one.

the biggest mistake was not using Tim Truman or Jan Hammer to do the score,

some might say jan hammer's score is too 80s,
but if you listen to his 2006 score to the documentary "Cocaine Cowboys"

that score would have suited this new movie perfectly!

in fact, i think even Tim Truman's score from the last season of miami vice would have been good enough just to ensure the soundtrack was up to standard

you have to remember, a key part of the original shows success was the music they used and a majority of the time it was Jan hammer's instrumental music which captured the mood of the characters. In particular "crockett's theme" which sadly was nowhere to be heard in the new movie apart from a 3 note rendition heard in Klaus badelt's AR500 track.

in this movie, i dont think mann used music correctly and it just felt wayward at times, especially compared to Heat or collateral.

Watch collateral, and see Tom Cruise burst into the club and just kill everyone while "ready steady go" by Paul oakenfeld is playing! Its awesome! Now thats good choice of music! I didnt see any of that in Miami Vice!

Now listen to this Tim truman Miami vice season 5 score track here called "Helicopter".

www.myspace.com/timtruman

This was made in 1989 yet sounds still awesome! i could imagine this playing in the new movie and it would bring an extra boost to the movie.

The instrumental music in Heat was great, in Miami vice 2006 not so great.

maybe Mann can come back and do another one and just change things around.

Overall, not his best effort, i prefer Collateral by miles.

Is Mann even going to direct the sequal? if hes not then i probably wont even see it.

There's going to be a sequel??? How?? The movie bombed and got horrible reviews.

There's going to be a sequel??? How?? The movie bombed and got horrible reviews.

The movie didn't bomb. Yes, it was horribly received, but it made it's budget back. It just didn't do as well as it was originally expected to do. In a sense it's like the Punisher.

Through the movie tickets and DVD sells I'm sure it went over the 163 million that it made worldwide.

Very ******ed statement and makes your name quite unfitting. Uh, hum...maybe people DID like the film?

It was pretty split. The general consensus, as far as i understand, was that people either dug this film, or hated it, there doesnt seem to be an in between.

I can tell Mann made this film, because of the direction, unfortunately, imo its his weakest film by far.

The movie didn't bomb. Yes, it was horribly received, but it made it's budget back. It just didn't do as well as it was originally expected to do. In a sense it's like the Punisher.

Through the movie tickets and DVD sells I'm sure it went over the 163 million that it made worldwide.

No it bombed. When a movie struggles to make back its budget that is a bomb to me. And no it is nothing like The Punisher because the Punisher didn't cost **** to make and the same for the sequel. And just for the record studios pay more attention to the domestic numbers and it completely bombed there. They got lucky around the world I don't see why they would gamble even more money on a sequel. When they see a 135 million budget movie only make 63 million back domestically trust me they ain't happy. And if you gonna whip out that movie tickets dvd sales defense then you also have remember that the studios don't get all of the money made from those things.

The reviews on this film was pretty much split. Either you liked it or you didn't, that seems to be the way it goes with this film it appears. I mean, other films might be seen as "meh" or "all right"....but there seems to be no in-between with this film.

The sequel will happen, all the big players WANT one......Mann, Farrell and Foxx all want a sequel.....they're not light weights, so eventually...if they really do wanna get a sequel done, it'll get done.

The movie didn't bomb. There was report that came out a while back on the past years biggest bombs at the box office and Miami Vice was no where to be seen on that list. The movie seems to have done fine.

Something that stands out is also how the DVD release went down. No Special Edition! It was a single disc thin special featured DVD. Usually, FOR ME, that means the studio plans on coming out with another release later down the line......like right before the sequel comes out. So, the studio seems to have a real confidence in the franchise.

Michael Mann could direct the sequel. That seems to be the REAL question, simply b/c he's never done a sequel before. He'll defintely write it and produce it at the very least......but I think he's gotta come back.

The production cost for the film was balloned by Katrina. The Hurricane weather and conditions hampered the film for a quite a while. And yeah, that's something that's been rumored too....which is obvious, that the budget would be a lot lower for the sequel.

But, that's not a problem....I think, b/c the sequel would ALL be in Miami, as opposed to filming on location in the Dominican Republic and other locales across the world. Filiming all in Miami, and no major Hurricane set backs, alone could cut budget costs a ton from the first one.

And Foxx and Farrell could take a pay cut too.

Bottomline, the film didn't do too bad....and I hear the dvd rentals are solid, we'll probably get a better idea with the DVD sales come out. But, when you got Jamie Foxx claiming there's going to be a sequel a month or two back, and Michael Mann claiming a sequel a while back, and Foxx and Farrell admitting they're ready for another go.....I think it'll get done.

Though it wasn't a great movie it wasn't a terrible movie neither. It could of used a little more action to help it out. I haven't seen Directors Cut yet so I will have to see it just to see if it makes it more enjoyable.
I liked the grainy look of the film,just made it visually a decent film. I too agree I liked Collateral,and Heat much better. I would of liked to seen Heat shot in this style of filming. I think it would of set the mood better.
I'll assume they will do a sequel at some point,but rather them not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"