Minority Report: The Series

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/why-foxs-minority-report-split-813662
Why Fox's 'Minority Report' Split the Role of Twins Dash and Arthur
AUGUST 06, 2015 3:14pm PT by Lesley Goldberg

Series creator Max Borenstein explains the role was reconceived.

Fox's Minority Report is one of the many freshman shows this season to undergo a creative change after it was picked up to series.

The drama, a follow-up to the 2002 Steven Spielberg feature film, chronicles the unlikely partnership between a man haunted by the future and a cop haunted by her past as they race to stop the worst crimes of the year 2065 before they happen.

The pilot was picked up with Stark Sands set to play both precog fraternal twins, Arthur and Dash, with Michael and Matthew Dickman played the characters in the 2002 feature film. The series in June enlisted One Big Happy alum Nick Zano to take on the role of Arthur.

"We had always envisioned the Arthur role as being one that was a little smaller," series creator Max Borenstein told THR after the show's panel at the Television Critics Association summer press tour. "It was one that could be played by one actor, from a production standpoint. Then as we fleshed out who Arthur was and his differences from Dash and how much of a role we wanted him to play in the series going forward, it became clear from a creative standpoint that it made sense to have two very different kind of distinct actors playing those roles. And also from a production standpoint, one has eight-nine days to make an episode and if one actor is playing two lead roles, you're in deep water."

The feature writer-producer, who is making his television debut with Minority Report, acknowledges that it seemed like a good idea at first to have Sands play both roles but that shifted when he realized the production commitment and that his show isn't Orphan Black. (Star Tatiana Maslany plays multiple clones on the BBC America drama.

Enlisting Zano, Borenstein said, was "not a huge shift" from the show that was originally pitched to Fox during development.

"When the role got bigger and I started to realize what we actually work with in terms of time for any given episode, it started to become very clear that as appealing as that Orphan Black model was in our imagination, that it made sense and from a creative standpoint, as we really began to dig in, it was less about retooling than it was about getting in the room and saying, 'Who is Arthur?'"

The original pilot — which has not been released to critics and is undergoing reshoots to incorporate Zano — only featured a little bit of the Arthur character at the end and is being retooled. He added, "We want our audience to know what that central dynamic is from an early point. We went back and very organically slotted him in."

As for why star Sands' real-life fraternal brother wasn't cast to portray his on-screen fraternal twin, it's an easy answer: "He's not an actor!" Borenstein said with a laugh.

http://tvline.com/2015/08/06/minority-report-fox-changes-from-movie/
Minority Report: In Fox Drama's Future, Precrime Is Gone, Redskins Renamed
By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 6 2015, 3:15 PM PDT

Fox’s Minority Report (premiering Monday, Sept. 21) is missing the key element behind the 2002 Tom Cruise film — and yet that tweak affirmed Steven Spielberg’s decision to finally adapt the sci-fi pic as a series.

Set in Washington, D.C. circa 2065 (11 years after the events of the movie), Minority Report presents a future where Precrime investigations have been disbanded, leaving a pre-cog named Dash (played by NYC 22′s Stark Sands) to go AWOL from his remote retreat, still fielding flashes of dire demises and thus wanting to secretly assist Detective Lara Vega (Deception‘s Megan Good).

Wilmer Valderrama (That ’70s Show) plays Vega’s colleague Will Blake, while Nick Zano (2 Broke Girls) and Laura Regan (Mad Men) are Dash’s pre-cog kin, Agatha and Arthur.

“The thing that really spoke to [Spielberg] was being able to bring these pre-cogs to life,” executive producer Darryl Frank said Thursday at the Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills. “The chance to humanize the pre-cogs spoke to him more than anything.”

“It felt like just following up on the [Precrime] enforcer would be limiting,” said EP Max Borenstein. “[Whereas] the idea of focusing on the pre-cogs, the people who were traumatized by experiencing these murder visions all of their lives, is just fascinating. It allows us to dig into the ethical issues of what responsibility somebody has if they see that future. That was the reason we decided to shift focus.”

Of course, glimpsing and then acting on visions of the future present a variation of the old time-travel paradox — meaning, isn’t Dash, in success, tinkering with the future? “We’ve thought long and hard about the rules,” said Borenstein. “The pre-cogs are seeing the future as it it’s going to play out if they don’t interfere. But the moment they start interfering, things get fuzzier. It becomes a question of: Can you do enough to change that future?”

Speaking of the future: Fox’s Minority Report took some cues from the film’s own world-building and then added flourishes of its own.

“It goes from little things to big,” Borenstein says of the series’ version of 2065. “A small thing is we’re in Washington, D.C. and [the football team] is now called the Washington Red Clouds,” an homage to the great Native American leader. “We’re doing fun things like that, but we’re also doing larger things,” working in partnership with a MIT lab whose job is forecasting what the world will look like 50 years from now.

The show’s EPs affirmed that Spielberg is regularly relaying notes to them (sometimes in the form of a scan of a cocktail napkin sketch!), even between takes on the feature film he’s currently helming.

“It’s the first movie to go to television of his,” Frank quipped, “so no pressure at all!”

For anyone who has the means, the pilot is out there.

I'm in the middle of watching it right now as I type this. Pretty interesting so far.

I'll give the pilot a shot. But it feels episodic to me. I prefer serialized shows.

That pilot seemed quite different from the one that leaked not too long ago. I think I liked it a little better. Still nothing special though.

Last edited:
Yeah. Not great, not terrible. Here's hoping that, over time, it can drift toward the former rather than the latter.

I don't know. It's like they wanted to blend "Fringe" with "Sleepy Hollow"

So, is the Pilot drastically different from the one I may or may not have watched some time ago from a story-telling point of view? That is, should I watch it again? I sorta liked it though I fear it could get repetitive real soon, but I quite definitely like it more than Blindspot.

PS: Which begs a secondary question... Do I watch the Blindspot pilot again?

Visually impressive.
But, they didnt have much beyond that.

So, is the Pilot drastically different from the one I may or may not have watched some time ago from a story-telling point of view? That is, should I watch it again?
It has a different climax/showdown with the villain-of-the-week and what appears to be an entirely different "hook" with the Arthur character at the end (not to mention that we actually met him in this version). It's slightly better, imo. But as mentioned, still not great. So I'm not gonna say whether you should or shouldn't watch it again, but it was more different from the leaked version than I've ever encountered with a leaked pilot in the past.

It has a different climax/showdown with the villain-of-the-week and what appears to be an entirely different "hook" with the Arthur character at the end (not to mention that we actually met him in this version). It's slightly better, imo. But as mentioned, still not great. So I'm not gonna say whether you should or shouldn't watch it again, but it was more different from the leaked version than I've ever encountered with a leaked pilot in the past.

:up: Thank You.

The show’s EPs affirmed that Spielberg is regularly relaying notes to them (sometimes in the form of a scan of a cocktail napkin sketch!), even between takes on the feature film he’s currently helming.

“It’s the first movie to go to television of his,” Frank quipped, “so no pressure at all!”

How could anyone forgot young Indiana jones?

I saw the pilot, I don't feel it, I foresee a cancellation like it happened to Almost Human.

It was ok, but it feels like it's going to get redundant real fast. They're using what might happen to the precogs to create a mystery running through. But it's not all too interesting for me.

I enjoyed it a lot, I am a sucker for shows that take place in the near or far future. My only complaint is for the most part it doesn't have any of the real bad ass sci fi stuff that was in the movie like the subway car like things that ran up the sides of buildings etc. I know I know it is probably cause the TV budget cannot compete with the movie budget, but I just wish they had some more stuff to let you know we are looking 50 years into the future ;).

It had soft ratings and for me the premiere was only so-so. I don't know how far they can go with this premise before it wears thin. He sees the future but it is fragmented and only potential so they aren't setting anything in stone but acting as though everything he sees will happen. When that falls apart so will the story.

just couldn't get into it, so I'll pass from here on in...

i had wanted to check this out, but i forgot to dvr it. i bought the movie last night as i've been wanting to see it again for a while so now's a good time for me to check it out

The lead actors don't gel. Nothing works without that chemistry. It's visually pretty though.

And that Wilmer dude sucks.

Terrible premiere numbers, this did not connect with viewers. Fox will keep it on for a few weeks or run all the episodes like it did for The Mob Wife.

Up against MNF didn't help.

pilot episode is up for free at vudu.com
other show pilots are available too, such as blindspot, bastard executioner, outlander, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"