Comics Missing users...

StillANerd is stillanerd at the Crawlspace I believe. Lynch Mob back in the day. Probably stillanerd...

As someone who only remembers The Clone Saga in bits and pieces, where was the point in the story where it should've stopped/ended/concluded?

Last edited:
The incessant back and forth just made it unbearable towards the end...

oh hell yes, that was another thing about the Clone Saga that made it so irritable and annoying... besides the storyline going on for so long, it also kept going on between each and every Spidey title, as well as some new titles and limited series runs that were created JUST for the storyline... and what made it even worse was that the continuity was all f***ed up due to the storyline titles not being released in proper order... you could have chapter 34 of the story come out one week and the following week, you could get chapter 32 or 33 of the story... the releases were just so screwed up... and I don't remember back then that the storyline had a lot of fans... I think TODAY'S contemporary readers, who may have not been there when those issues and titles originally came out, but came across it years after the fact, are the ones who are fans of a totally discombobulated story... I think THEY'RE the ones who are trying to make it seem as if it's a classic story in Spidey mythology when in reality, it was a classic mess and a classic failure... it was regarded as such back in the day, but now, it seems that today's readers are the ones trying to keep it alive... just MY opinion, see?

Last edited:
I read it as it was coming out.
I loved it then, I love it now.
I think the out of order thing was only 2 issues. Had to do with a shipping error, if I remember correctly.

That's cool that you loved it, but I found the constant pendulum swing of is he real or the clone long and tedious. And the obvious last second decision to bring in Norman as the main baddie (which felt so contrived and made up) was the final nail to say "good riddance".
Just my opinion.
Glad some people enjoyed it at the time.

The back and forth of whether Ben or Peter was the real deal got old, yes, but I still loved it. I actually just bought the Omnibus that just came out. Scarlet Spider is still to this day one of my favorite characters, if not my FAVORITE character. The only part of the Saga that I didn't care for was the attempt to make Ben the real Peter, but once that was revealed to be a farse, it was all good. My only complaint was that Ben's death made absolutely no sense in a story sense, and that bugs me to this day.

There was no back and forth as to Ben or Pete being the real one.
It was hinted at that things might not be as they seem a few issues before Spectacular 226.
Then it was Ben was the real one the entire time since then until being hinted at in the Spider-Carnage arc that maybe he really wasn't. Then Spider-Man #75 happened.

Just randomly decided to come on this site today. I miss the old days on this site back when it was called spider man hype lol. Started to really lose interest right around the time marvel dumped all over the marriage. I'm so far behind but have been getting a slight itch to see what's been going on lately. The old days on this site were so damn good though.

There was no back and forth as to Ben or Pete being the real one.
It was hinted at that things might not be as they seem a few issues before Spectacular 226.
Then it was Ben was the real one the entire time since then until being hinted at in the Spider-Carnage arc that maybe he really wasn't. Then Spider-Man #75 happened.

There was also the brief teasing that the 3rd Parker Clone (later becoming Spidercide) was the real Parker. That was happening while they were starting to drop hints of Ben being the real one. Then they showed that Pre-Spidercide Peter wasn't the real Peter, and then that Ben was the real Peter. And then not too long after that they started teasing that Ben wasn't actually Peter and that Peter was the real Peter after all. Then they supposedly proved it by seeing Ben dissolved... except that Ben was the perfect clone who was immune to the dissolving thing... so even that made no sense. So in my mind at least, the fact that Ben dissolved proved nothing (not to mention the fact that the story so easily allows for a Ben/Ben Clone switcheroo to happen between his capture by Osborn and his next being seen).

It got old. But as long as Peter was indeed the real Peter, I can handle the back and forth.

It was so obvious they didn't know what they were doing....
They brought over Dan Jurgens from DC because he was excited about doing Spider-Man fresh and new with a new cast, only to have him leave after six issues because, again, they were undecided and he said #%€* it and left...
Exciting premise. Poor execution. Lasted too long.

I'm still disappointed that I didn't get more Dan Jurgens Spider-Man. His title with Ben was great IMO, and he didn't even like the character!

What did Jurgens write? I never paid attention to writers back then.

Ah, got it. I remember liking issue 0, but the rest were fairly crossover-heavy weren't they? Hard to get a good grasp of a single writer's take on a character when he does part 3 of a 4 part story (or whatever portion he did). I remember liking those early issues though.

I'm not sure if it was cross over heavy, the Spider-Books back then were meant to read one after the other in the order they came out... Amazing, Adjective-less, Spectacular, Sensational... Jurgens had Ben working at that café with all these new characters, but I don't recall any of these people popping up in other books, which I can see making it difficult for him to create this "new brand for a fresh Spidey", and these characters eventually disappeared after Dan left.

The whole Spider-Line was crossover at that point...a lot of continuing, starting, or finishing stories, but usually not a whole story by a single writer.

HOWEVER each title had its own unique supporting cast and locations, and I felt Jurgens was doing REALLY WELL with this stuff. I thoroughly enjoyed his work.

speaking of Sensational Spider-Man, I wonder whatever happened to the character of Jessica Carradine, who was the daughter of the Burglar, the killer of Uncle Ben way back in Amazing Fantasy #15?...

Jurgens wrote Media Blizzard.
It was fairly self contained. Issues 1 2 and 3 of Sensational.
It was the Mysterio, Armada story set during a blizzard.

speaking of Sensational Spider-Man, I wonder whatever happened to the character of Jessica Carradine, who was the daughter of the Burglar, the killer of Uncle Ben way back in Amazing Fantasy #15?...

She made he peace with Ben after finding out that he was Spider-Man.
She walked away from NY after leaving flowers on Uncle Ben's grave.
They teased her coming back in letters page a few months after Ben died, but it never happened.

I'm not sure if it was cross over heavy, the Spider-Books back then were meant to read one after the other in the order they came out... Amazing, Adjective-less, Spectacular, Sensational... Jurgens had Ben working at that café with all these new characters, but I don't recall any of these people popping up in other books, which I can see making it difficult for him to create this "new brand for a fresh Spidey", and these characters eventually disappeared after Dan left.

Web and then Sensational came out the first week, Amazing, then Spectacular then finally Adjectiveless
I never understood why Amazing wasn't the first book of the month.
Also, don't forget...
Unlimited and Spider-Man team-up...
Not to mention Untold Tales, but those weren't tied into the clone saga.

Unlimited was a double-sized quarterly book IIRC.

Jurgens wrote Media Blizzard.
It was fairly self contained. Issues 1 2 and 3 of Sensational.
It was the Mysterio, Armada story set during a blizzard.

I loved that arc.

They teased her coming back in letters page a few months after Ben died, but it never happened.

Waste of a character with tons of potential (a Jurgens creation FWIW).

I'm trying to remember, but I can't and I'm too lazy to dig into the collection and find out, but...

even though Ben knew Jessica Carradine and was part of the Sensational cast, was PETER ever made aware that Jessica even existed?... did Ben ever tell him that the daughter of the man who killed Uncle Ben was around at the time?... did Peter ever face Jessica?

I can't remember, but I would have loved to seen a dynamic between Peter and Jessica... how would Peter have reacted to meeting her face-to-face?

I'm trying to remember, but I can't and I'm too lazy to dig into the collection and find out, but...

even though Ben knew Jessica Carradine and was part of the Sensational cast, was PETER ever made aware that Jessica even existed?... did Ben ever tell him that the daughter of the man who killed Uncle Ben was around at the time?... did Peter ever face Jessica?

I can't remember, but I would have loved to seen a dynamic between Peter and Jessica... how would Peter have reacted to meeting her face-to-face?

They did know each other.
Peter also knew Desire'

I stopped reading all the Spidey titles and stopped watching the cartoons... they've all gone off the cliff, as far as I'M concerned... so I just satisfy my fix for Spidey with the occasional read of the Ditko and Romita years and I'm a happy camper...

JJJ's Ulcer DID get banned... ManOfBat and Donald Thomas occasionally post but not so much anymore...

Aloha,
My ears were ringing:yay:Actually, I'm one of the Admins for the Facebook Spider-Man group The Spider's Web.
I am personally inviting all of you to come on over.
I continue to read Amazing, as well as Renew your vows, Spider-Man, Avengers , Champions, Black Panther, World of Wakanda.
Spidey still rules

Aloha,
My ears were ringing:yay:Actually, I'm one of the Admins for the Facebook Spider-Man group The Spider's Web.
I am personally inviting all of you to come on over.
I continue to read Amazing, as well as Renew your vows, Spider-Man, Avengers , Champions, Black Panther, World of Wakanda.
Spidey still rules

Your posts were some of my favorite in this forum when I just lurked, nice to see you again!

How do you like Renew Your Vows??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"