Spielberg committed to Robopocalypse!

Ah, so this isn't completely dead after all.
Hopefully this means, they'll make the dark, stripped down story like the book.
Looks like we'll get something like this now. Something intimate/personal which gives the actors more of the floor is always good.

I'm just reading Robocalypse and wow... it's so similar to Pfister's Transcedence. Doubt Spielberg will want to make that movie anymore.

Transcendence is similar to this? I imagine just in terms of the master computer's rhetoric and philosophy.

I don't know, the book was pretty goofy at times but there's a lot there that could contribute to a good film, especially written by Goddard (who I kind of wish would direct this himself!)

I really liked the whole angle of the Native American tribal governments continuing to function even as the federal government collapses. It was an interesting idea and rooted in the writer's own past growing up on a reservation rather than just playing off of other robot uprising stories.

"Robopocalypse" Author Offers Film Update

By Garth Franklin Thursday October 30th 2014 01:58AM
Back in late 2012, it was looking like Steven Spielberg was readying a film adaptation of Daniel H. Wilson's sci-fi novel "Robopocalypse" as his next directorial effort. Drew Goddard ("Cabin in the Woods") was adapting the screenplay whilst the likes of Chris Hemsworth, Anne Hathaway and Ben Whishaw were onboard to star.
Then, early last year, it suddenly died. Spielberg officially postponed the project because the initial screenplay required heavy reworking and he wanted to find another way into the story. Talk about the film ceased and Spielberg dabbled with a few other ideas before hopping onto his current commitments to both "St. James Place" and "The BFG".
At last report Spielberg is still developing it. Unfortunately, like many filmmakers from Guillermo del Toro to Ridley Scott, it is one of at least a half dozen projects the director is attached to and it's really a roll of the dice as to whether he will come back around to it sometime in the future. Wilson himself recently offered an update on the project to Den of Geek:
"It's basically in the queue as far as I know. You know, Spielberg has other movies that he's directing right now. But Robopocalypse has certainly been worked on. I'm sure that Dreamworks is still very excited about it. That's what all indications are.
It's just about being patient, you know? I think one of the films on Spielberg's slate is The BFG, and that's been floating around for about ten years. I don't really know what a timeline is, but that's certainly normal. So I'm just being patient and working on all my projects. It would be some wonderful bonus points if that ever comes together."

Michael Bay Looking To Direct Robopocalypse
https://www.empireonline.com/people/michael-bay/michael-bay-looking-direct-robopocalypse/
Michael Bay just can't quit the robot action. Though apparently staying firm to his decision to step away from the Transformers franchise, the director is now in talks to take over a project that has lingered on Steven Spielberg's typically crammed to-do list for a few years. If he makes a deal, Bay will direct Robopocalypse.

The adaptation of Daniel H. Wilson's tale of humans trying to survive in the wake of a technological terror uprising, has been through the scripting hands of Drew Goddard for one, and has been a passion project of Spielberg. But as other projects reared their heads, and the screenplay needed re-writes, he's consistently pushed it back on his schedule. Now, he's ready to hand it off all together, which is more than a little disappointing.

Bay, of course, was his choice to kick-start the Transformers movies, and he's gone on to put out a series that has seen (mostly) big box office success and plenty of critical lambasting. So we suppose it makes sense that Spielberg would entrust him with a different type of robo-story.

Robopocalypse remains at the talks stage for now, but in more concrete Bay news, he's now officially aboard a mysterious new action movie called 6 Underground. Written by Deadpool duo Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, it's reportedly an original idea from the writers, but no details have been revealed yet. That one has the backing of Skydance and is scheduled to shoot this summer.

I know people like to cry about Bay but I actually like his "smaller" projects like Pain & Gain and 13 Hours. I wish he was doing another one of those.

Or maybe Bad Boys III. It's not "smaller" per say but still

So it'd be Transformers except all the robots are Decepticons.

I do think Bay under Spielberg won't be too much of a trainwreck.

First Transformers still was. :)

But yeah, eep, Bay. :( I'll always love Bad Boys & The Rock (hell, Pain & Gain was okay too), but bleeccchhh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"