• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

More greatly appreciate Keaton/'89 Batman?

Yes but don't want to know why? since it Batman is the title of the film

Two Face said:
Yes but don't want to know why? since it Batman is the title of the film

Everyone already knows about batman, that's why I liked the way Burton mixed it up and changed the focus of the film. There is still enough batman in the film , I just enjoy the way that the villains are characters, rather than obstacles in batman's way.

Plus, the way Burton did it whit less Batman on screen.
Makes him more mysterious, even for us who "know" Batman.
And Batman gets more intimidating by the way he was potrayed by Burton, But thats just what i think.

Damn, i think im gonna go and watch Batman now :)

I love the Burton movies, but I have to say Begins is Batman for me now. I think everything about it captured parts of the comics never seen on screen before, it had and intelligent plot weaving his training and exile into a gotham plot (good motivation for the villains), and I just thought Bale was awesome. I know this isn't a who was better thread, but I'm just saying Begins has kind of eclipsed Burton's movies for me. To each their own though right.

Banshee said:
I love the Burton movies, but I have to say Begins is Batman for me now. I think everything about it captured parts of the comics never seen on screen before, it had and intelligent plot weaving his training and exile into a gotham plot (good motivation for the villains), and I just thought Bale was awesome. I know this isn't a who was better thread, but I'm just saying Begins has kind of eclipsed Burton's movies for me. To each their own though right.

Absolutely. There have been so many different incarnations of Batman over his 60 plus year history, and each one may appeal to someone more so than another. Thats why i really get tired of people who bash everything other than Nolans current movie, its just another interpretation. Its not perfect, by no means, and its not definitive.

I think BB was meant to sort of "clense the pallete" after "Batman & Robin" - which I agree almost was the nail on the coffin for the Batman movie franchise.

So BB was meant to start over fresh. That is why they hired a director who isn't really known to make movies in this genre.

For that purpose - a fresh beginning - I think "Batman Begins" succeeds more than it fails.

Batman and Bruce Wayne - in my opinion wasn't necessarily even the focus of the movie. To me - the movie focused on re-establishing Batman's world and the people who inhabit it - including Batman/Wayne.

So the observation many on this thread have made that the movie is simply a movie that happens to have Batman in it - is a valid point. But I think that was intentional. And actually why I liked the movie.

Keaton's my favorite Batman (and best) in my opinion. And no one will ever change that.

LordofHypertime said:
I liked Bale's performance as Batman; and Batman Begins will always be on my top ten list of favorite movies. But since then, many of us have watched 'Batman' from '89, because our interest for Batman filmography was resurrected, so to speak. Now that you have rewatched it, and 'Batman' has officially become a cultural classic among the culture of Bat fans, do you appreciate Michael Keaton now more than you did before 'Begins' came out?
I have loved Keaton as Batman since I first saw him on the big screen when I was ten. I went every weekend, and it wasn't for Nicholson, to me he didn't steal the show, Batman/Keaton did.

Bale is no Batman, his voice is forced and a joke really. He talks like he has a mouth full of spit.

Now when I was ten I didn't know about people thinking it was a strange choice to have Michael as Bruce, but I always thought he looked like my fave comic book hero, still do. It's the eyes and arched eye brows and voice that really captures Batman in Keaton's performance.

frodawgg said:
no it's not...you are for calling it that:)
Well sorry If I don't like message boards full of trolls and bad info.:o

Morgoth said:
I have loved Keaton as Batman since I first saw him on the big screen when I was ten. I went every weekend, and it wasn't for Nicholson, to me he didn't steal the show, Batman/Keaton did.

Bale is no Batman, his voice is forced and a joke really. He talks like he has a mouth full of spit.

Now when I was ten I didn't know about people thinking it was a strange choice to have Michael as Bruce, but I always thought he looked like my fave comic book hero, still do. It's the eyes and arched eye brows and voice that really captures Batman in Keaton's performance.

Nice post. I have similar thoughts.

I despise Tim Burton's portrayal of Batman with a passion. I think Keaton did a good job with what what his given to him, but I just can't warm up to that interpretation of the character. It's not even Batman. It's something else.

OK, I am sorry guys if I sound ignorant but I really didn't see the brilliance in '89 Batman.

I've watched Batman Begins multiple times and I enjoyed it a lot each time. My brother lent me Batman and I watched it feeling completely underwhelmed and a bit annoyed.

After reading all the threads on this forum about how "'89 is the best" I was expecting something on par, or better than Begins. Instead I found something very cartoony and very similar to the other Batman films.

I think it was just the style of Gotham being a bit fake and stuff, or maybe it was because I wanted a traditional Joker, or maybe it was because I preferred the Batman Begins suit, it all just seemed a slightly poor version of Begins' realism.

Sorry if I sound like some punk kid who has only seen Begins, and thats ALL he knows about Batman. This is not true.

Yeah, I secretly suspect most of the B89 love comes from nostalgia and childhood hero worship. People saw it as kids and like it because of that.

Mr_Mortis said:
Instead I found something very cartoony and very similar to the other Batman films.

What other Batman films? Because Returns, Forever, B&R and Begins were all influenced by B89 since it started it all. Should I assume you refer to the Tv series?

Mr_Mortis said:
I think it was just the style of Gotham being a bit fake and stuff, or maybe it was because I wanted a traditional Joker, or maybe it was because I preferred the Batman Begins suit, it all just seemed a slightly poor version of Begins' realism.

Traditional Joker? How Nicholson was not a "traditional" Joker?

And btw, Nolan (and Schumacher for that matter) wouldn't have had the black rubber suit if it wasn't for B89. Of course after 15 years it's not hard to copy and improve.

Thats what I was going to suggest, but I thought it would be rude since it's my first time on this thread. :)

JLBats said:
Yeah, I secretly suspect most of the B89 love comes from nostalgia and childhood hero worship. People saw it as kids and like it because of that.

I saw Batman Tv series as a kid and I think it stinks.

El Payaso, look. All I am saying is, I think Batman Begins is a far more enjoyable and believable Batman film to watch. I don't care about "which came first" or "how Batman'89 influenced Begins" - I am sure it did. But Begins did a much better job of portraying Batman AND Bruce Wayne.

When I refer to the suit, the Begins suit shows much more emotion on the face, Batman is part of the suit whereas I felt in '89, the suit looked really rigid and as if it wasn't flexible.

Oh and about the Joker and Jack N. When I say traditional I would prefer a thin faced long nosed Joker, rather than Jack's podgy "Batman TV series" Joker. Thats just the impression I got. The Joker's personality in '89 was ace though.

I think B89 is a more nostalgic and intense film as is batman returns. BB however is a lot more pleasing to the masses, it's faster paced(although i found it not as engaging as B89 & returns) and has more action and tongue in cheek humour geared for a main stream audience, where i see batman as a dark character, like keaton, who doesn't make jokes, as he's suffered a lot and has dedicated himself to crime fighting.

BB is good, but B89 is better. Although I can't wait to see two face doen properly, but that's years away......

Cyrusbales said:
I think B89 is a more nostalgic and intense film as is batman returns. BB however is a lot more pleasing to the masses, it's faster paced(although i found it not as engaging as B89 & returns) and has more action and tongue in cheek humour geared for a main stream audience, where i see batman as a dark character, like keaton, who doesn't make jokes, as he's suffered a lot and has dedicated himself to crime fighting.

BB is good, but B89 is better. Although I can't wait to see two face doen properly, but that's years away......

I can't believe you of all people would say this:down:confused:

JLBats said:
I can't believe you of all people would say this:down:confused:

me of all people? And what is it I said? You've got my spidey-curiosity sense tingling! What's wrong with liking B89 and returns over BB? It's a lot more enjoyable to watch, not to mention the extra artistic merit.(I'm not on eof those crazy burton fans either, he's ok, overrated though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"