More Middle-Earth after The Hobbit?

Lol... I can understand why he was out of the film...due to pacing, I guess.

If New Line still have the rights to make sequel or prequel I'd love to see PJ tackle a movie about Aragorn's reign as King.

that would be interesting to see... it can have his death as Arwen is beside his deathbed although we did see that in a flashforward in TTT. Having Viggo and Liv back would be awesome.

Liv Tyler was one of the few things I disliked about the LOTR trilogy. She felt so shoehorned in and she just wasn't up to the level of her costars.

Is Tom f***ing Bombadil that goddamn important?

In the DVD commentry Christopher Leewho is a huge fan and communicated with Tolkien along with getting his blessing to play a character (Gandalf originally I think) said something along the lines of "yes we are all sad Bombadil isn't in it, but how relivant was he really?" something along those lines.

Personaly I thought the Tom Bombadil stuff was so boring that I ended up just skiping it.

I know plenty of LOTR fans (I haven't even read the books) who love the movies. :huh:

They probably want it to be exactly or very close to the book.
Given the sheer scale of it, the mainsteam auidence it's targeted at with the budget required, it's just not going to happen.

While reading the Lord of the Rings I was bored with the hundreds of pages of the characters just walking or riding on horses as the author just explains what the foliage and scenery looks like, as he goes on and on for hundreds of pages.

Last edited:
They probably want it to be exactly or very close to the book.
Given the sheer scale of it, the mainsteam auidence it's targeted at with the budget required, it's just not going to happen.

But I thought that was what the extended editions were for. Anyone who bought those pretty much wouldn't give a damn about pacing or them being too long. I kind of wish they had retooled the theatrical releases more back to the books than they ended up doing. But what really bothered me was when I got the ROTK EE and they still left out the part with the Watchers. I could sorta understand not having the scouring of the shire in there as it's a pretty big set piece(probably take 15-20 minutes just by itself). But they added the Mouth of Sauron back in. The Watchers scene isn't really any more than that.

I would like to the simarilion adapted in to film but the odds of that happening are slim to nothing.

Isn't PJ adapting seens from Unfinished Tales and Simarilion into the hobbit?

I doubt we'll see a Silmarillion movie anytime soon. Rumor has it that elements of it would be found in The Hobbit. It would likely work better as some kind of TV series.

I doubt we'll see a Silmarillion movie anytime soon. Rumor has it that elements of it would be found in The Hobbit. It would likely work better as some kind of TV series.

This is true.

...I also want an animated adaptation of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. :awesome:

(seriously though, it didn't ruin the movie or anything but I was disappointed he didn't make it in, I rather enjoyed his part in the book)

I, among others, feel that The Silmarillion could work as an ongoing TV series. Think Game of Thrones. The tale of Numenor, the story of Beren & Luthien, and the tale of Turin alone could be made into their own seasons. I hope that others in the industry see it the same way and that it comes to fruition. It would be great for the NZ economy.

They would need to put much more $ into it to get it right than GOT received.

But I thought that was what the extended editions were for. Anyone who bought those pretty much wouldn't give a damn about pacing or them being too long. I kind of wish they had retooled the theatrical releases more back to the books than they ended up doing. But what really bothered me was when I got the ROTK EE and they still left out the part with the Watchers. I could sorta understand not having the scouring of the shire in there as it's a pretty big set piece(probably take 15-20 minutes just by itself). But they added the Mouth of Sauron back in. The Watchers scene isn't really any more than that.

From what I understand it would be virtually impossible.
These movies are super, super chopped down from the books with major alterations and they sit at about 3 hours long.

One word... NO! :nono:

That's the problem with all movies that have sequels they just get worse and worse. It's like when you take a good poop and it feels so nice then you flush it and its going down ok. But then you hold down the lever and nothing goes down! All the same stuff comes back up again and you just don't want to see it!

9822708.jpg

I THINK Two Towers was like 3 Hours and 44 mins.

With the Hobbit trilogy over, i thought that this thread was now more necessary than before, from what it seems, The Silmarillion and Children of Hurin are most likely not going to be available to be adapted for some 50 years, however, isn't it fair game to consider that you can touch on the period of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings?

Originaly, The Hobbit was going to be divided into 2 parts, one would be an adaptation of the book, while the other would be something that would connect it with The Lord of the Rings trilogy, i guess it's safe to say that if WB wanted, they could make something set in that timeframe. Shadows of Mordor for example did something set during that time.

While the Hobbit films left a bit to be desired, i do think that a good movie could still be done, even if it's not adapting some previous material and only taking elements from the appendices, it just depends on who would handle the movies. I would vote for Guillermo Del Toro, when he was going to make The Hobbit, he mentioned wanting to make the film do to practical creatures the same thing the original Lord of the Rings trilogy did for CGI back in the day. Even if it took 10 years, more middle Earth films done by the likes of Guillermo Del Toro could be something worth the risk.

could they make a film that takes place DURING The Lord of the Rings but is separate from the main story? Maybe elsewhere in the world something else is happening not related to the ring.

Or are they prevented from doing anymore movies period?

With the Hobbit trilogy over, i thought that this thread was now more necessary than before, from what it seems, The Silmarillion and Children of Hurin are most likely not going to be available to be adapted for some 50 years, however, isn't it fair game to consider that you can touch on the period of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings?

Originaly, The Hobbit was going to be divided into 2 parts, one would be an adaptation of the book, while the other would be something that would connect it with The Lord of the Rings trilogy, i guess it's safe to say that if WB wanted, they could make something set in that timeframe. Shadows of Mordor for example did something set during that time.

While the Hobbit films left a bit to be desired, i do think that a good movie could still be done, even if it's not adapting some previous material and only taking elements from the appendices, it just depends on who would handle the movies. I would vote for Guillermo Del Toro, when he was going to make The Hobbit, he mentioned wanting to make the film do to practical creatures the same thing the original Lord of the Rings trilogy did for CGI back in the day. Even if it took 10 years, more middle Earth films done by the likes of Guillermo Del Toro could be something worth the risk.

GDT also wanted to introduce elements of steam punk into Middle Earth and had designs of Smaug that looked like a bizarre kaiju rather than a traditional dragon. So, I don't think he's the magic answer to making a perfect Middle-Earth film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"