Transformers More proof that Hasbro is treating TF like the next Star Wars...

That's freakin' awesome! I want!

I gotta give Hasbro credit on this one - considering that they're obviously going to merchandise this movie for all it's worth (seriously, who was expecting PLUSH Transformers toys?), most of what they're gonna be peddling involves some kind of transforming gimmick. That's a pretty clever way of distinguishing this promotional effort from the likes of Star Wars or Batman.

That's freakin' awesome! I want!

This comment was geared towards the plushies, I don't really care for the p-head. :(

I can see a lot of great merch. coming out of this movie. And yes, a TON of pure crap, but stuff like the plushies are cool little collectibles, IMO. :O

This comment was geared towards the plushies, I don't really care for the p-head. :(

I can see a lot of great merch. coming out of this movie. And yes, a TON of pure crap, but stuff like the plushies are cool little collectibles, IMO. :O

Well, I kinda figured that. My comment was based more on the fact that nowadays when they market big-budget summer movies like this, the licensors tend to slap the name on anything that will get them a fast buck, so as to make much of the merchandising attempts indistinguishable between properties - Batman Begins, Fantastic 4 and Superman Returns figures have languished on shelves for months after the movies came and went. The Star Wars line has gotten to the point where they're making toys based on concept art for characters and vehicles that were never used in the actual movies. When Kenner tried that after the classic trilogy ended, Lucasfilm said no. That tells you how much Lucasfilm (and the whole licensed merchandising atmosphere in general) has changed; they used to be very picky about what kind of merchandising they approved of, which is why it made much of the impact that it made.

Now, ironically, when Hasbro first started mass-merchandising the Transformers brand back in 1984, they took the typical approach of putting the brand name on everything under the sun - bubble bath, cookie jars, walkie-talkies, race-car sets, you name it. Just the way things usually are now when they try to plug a movie. This is why I kind of like what Hasbro seems to be doing now with the new Transformers movie; they're allowing for a little quirkiness to the merchandising that they never seemed to have back in the old days.

Of course, to me the one thing that really kind of nags me a little bit about the raft of incoming TF stuff is that apparently Hasbro is choosing a G1 slant with much of the merchandising, as opposed to anything resembling the Bay continuity. Understandable, I suppose, given how much griping they've had to take for the designs, but it makes the whole promotional campaign look just a wee bit out of place with what they're promoting.

Still, I've already resolved to pick up several of the Hasbro movie figures (and maybe the Optimus Prime Voice Changer), so I can't make too much of a fuss about that.

This is true about the designs. The plush and the p-head are both G1 Prime designs with the movie title/logo on the product. Maybe they do listen to the fans. :oldrazz:

Why such a fuss over merch from a movie thats based on a toy line. I can understand having a problem with merch put out for movies like Star Wars and LOTR. I would have loved to have had Optimash when I was little. I kinda like it now, I wouldn't buy it.

Also in the Star Wars Transformers line we are going to be getting a Death Star Transformer :D

Also in the Star Wars Transformers line we are going to be getting a Death Star Transformer :D

Yeah, and it's Vader again. :csad: Likewise, they're already starting to overplay the "Was this really necessary?" repaint hand with TIE Vader and Obi-Wan - I'd prefer new molds myself, or at the very least, repaint X-Wing Luke's helmet to make Wedge.

We are getting a Jedi Starfighter repaint with a Mace Windu head remold, though.

Optimash prime...lmao. Not knocking it, but is funny when you think about it.

What's next, Hot Spud, or Mega-Mashedpotatoetron :woot:.

What's next, Hot Spud, or Mega-Mashedpotatoetron :woot:.

I'm personally waiting for them to create six TF Potato Heads that you can put together to form...DEVAS-TATER!!! :woot:

Here's Hasbro pics of some of the movie figures:

movietoycat2.jpg

IMO they don't look too bad.

Then there's...whatever the heck these are...

movietoycat3.jpg

And here he is: http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=9348 IMO he's the best SWTF Vader yet. I'm impressed. Why he has a gun, I don't know, unless maybe it's the station's superlaser or something.

And in other SWTFs, we're also getting Mace Windu's Starfighter (a repaint w/head remold), Saesee Tiin's Starfighter, and a Republic Gunship (I'm guessing an AOTC Clone Trooper on this one): http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=9349

Here's a side view of the Optimus Voice Changer helmet...

hasbro_helmet.jpg

And a big'ol front view of the same:

TFM-OptimusPrime-VC-800.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back