Most Important Person to the Superhero Film Genre

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
Tim Burton - He was pretty much the first director to try a Dark and gritty superhero film and Batman (up until that point, most people still commonly associated Batman with the campy Adam West TV show from the 1960s) ended up being the highest grossing film of 1989. This was a year that was one of the most stacked Hollywood blockbuster years ever (with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Ghostbusters II, Lethal Weapon 2, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids to compete against). Plus, Batman was really the first major grossing superhero franchise with Batman Forever breaking the record of highest grossing weekend.

Robert Downey Jr. - He pretty much had to improvise the entire Iron Man movie and pretty much launched the MCU with his success. Plus, he's probably the biggest drawing actor in the superhero film genre because he might of been the most perfectly casted actor for a superhero role.

Richard Donner - While directing the first two Superman films (which were really the first real, modern, big budgeted superhero motion pictures), he took them seriously and proved the genre can be critical and commercial success. Donner used an ensemble cast of extremely highly regarded actors, a heartfelt and deeply emotional story, state-of-the-art special effects, and Donner's motto of "verisimilitude" to turn the godlike comic-book hero into an extremely real and respectable character. Then he along with his wife, produced the first X-Men film to a critical and commercial success, which lead the second boom of superhero films. It also showed Hollywood that other superheroes outside of the A-list of Batman/Superman/Spider-Man could draw.

Kevin Feige, for basically helming the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe, that has been so successful, that virtually Hollywood as since been trying to make their franchise follow the MCU business plan.

Jon Favreau, for turning Iron Man into a labor of love and showing that a non marquee hero could do big business. Favreau and Robert Downey Jr and Kevin Feige give way to the MCU and here we are with a completely different movie industry.

Christopher Nolan - He basically created the darker, grittier reboot trend in Hollywood because he was so successful at it. Of course, Nolan also restored Batman's cinematic reputation after Joel Schumacher's Batman & Robin destroyed it almost ten years prior. 2003-2007 was generally, an awful period of superhero films (Superman Returns, the threequels to Blade, X-Men and Spider-Man, Daredevil, Elektra, Catwoman, Tim Story's Fantastic Four movies, etc.) outside of Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins and X2. But when X-Men: The Last Stand and Spider-Man 3 ended up being awful (at least with most critics and fans despite making a lot of money at the box office) and there was turmoil over it possibly being the end of those franchises, it looked like the Superhero film genre was going to go bust. Soon afterwards however, The Dark Knight winds up shattering every box office record, Rotten Tomatoes score, and even got Heath Ledger an Oscar for his work as the Joker.

Sam Raimi - Bryan Singer's wave of comic book heroes were still (for better or worse) based in the we don't want to admit that we're comic book movies comic book movies. In effect the first X-Men movie seemed embarrassed about being a superhero movie more than really rolling with it. The X-Men movies had everyone in the black leather and openly mocking the comic book outfits. Raimi's Spider-Man put Peter Parker in the red and blue spandex. And while it didn't fully hit all the notes (Tobey Maguire's Spidey isn't nearly as quippy as he should have been), the first Spider-Man movie a far bigger hit compared to X-Men's fairly modest success. And plus, the first sequel, is to this day, generally considered to rank highly on the list of best superhero movie ever.

Bryan Singer - The modern wave of superhero movies more or less, began (unless you want to count Blade from 1998) with his X-Men films. Superhero movies were were toxic after Batman & Robin. The first X-Men film from 2000 was probably the first critically acclaimed superhero film in such a long time. Singer followed it up with X2 which, was so beloved that it made X-Men: The Last Stand break the box office opening weekend record based on it's reputation. He basically saved The X-Men franchise a second time by producing First Class (not that the actual director, Matthew Vaughn didn't help) and The Wolverine and directing Days of Future Past.

Last edited:
Robert Downey Jr for the MCU. If they would've started with another actor as Iron Man, the whole thing would've failed. If they would've started with another character, it wouldn't probably wouldn't have failed, but it would've been a huge uphill battle.

Also Kevin Feige.

The genre wouldn't be what it is today - a shared universe, in particular - without Kevin Feige.

Definitely Bryan Singer. He changed the whole genre and elevated it from the terrible depths it had collapsed into. It was a different time, and sure X1 and X2 don't match in scope or effects to what has been done later, but those movies had heart.

It's tempting to name Feige. But his world building approach to superhero films, while necessary due to Marvel not having access to X-Men, Spider-man and the FF, has indirectly led to ASM2 and BvS. I'm going with the OG, Donner.

Sorry guys but Avi Arad got a lot of movies off the ground and kept Marvel in business in the dark days. He may have left the reservation, and he certainly doesn't have the approval rating as good as anyone else on that list but he was damn important in the path that brought us to Marvel Studios.

I'd say Nolan

*regurgitates everything ever said about The Dark Knight*

But seriously his movie showed us a glimpse at what the future of superhero movies could have been. Not just popcorn entertainment but serious dramas with interesting characters, themes, subtexts and social critiques.

Burton gave us the dark and idiosyncratic but Nolan perfected it.

Ps. If anyone deserves some credit for Marvel's succes it's got to be the crew of Blade! The OGs of handling the company's characters seriously and they also gave us this gem!

[YT]http://youtu.be/pXhKzY0BKwY[/YT]

Anyone saying Bryan Singer is clearly ignoring the fact that Spider-man (which began production before X-men even came out) is far more important in cementing superhero cinema as an integral part of the 21st century blockbuster. If we're going to follow that logic, we should attribute Blade as well.
In regards to the question posed by the OP, it's Kevin Fiege.

Right now it is Feige, without much question. He is easily the person with the most influence.

All time is much more of a question. As much as I was tempted to go with Dick Donner since he made the template that has been copied ever since, I went with Sam Raimi. Yes, Superman and Batman were big hits and X-Men brought some much needed credibility to the genre, but Spider-Man was the film that really blew up the genre to the point that it came to dominate the summer blockbuster season. Having lived through it, there was a definite noticeable difference in how CBMs were viewed by studios and the general public pre and post that first Spider-Man movie. It exploded the popularity of the entire genre in a way that no other CBM has.

EDIT: I swear Flint Marko hadn't made the above post when I typed mine.

Right now it is Feige, without much question. He is easily the person with the most influence.

All time is much more of a question. As much as I was tempted to go with Dick Donner since he made the template that has been copied ever since, I went with Sam Raimi. Yes, Superman and Batman were big hits and X-Men brought some much needed credibility to the genre, but Spider-Man was the film that really blew up the genre to the point that it came to dominate the summer blockbuster season. Having lived through it, there was a definite noticeable difference in how CBMs were viewed by studios and the general public pre and post that first Spider-Man movie. It exploded the popularity of the entire genre in a way that no other CBM has.

EDIT: I swear Flint Marko hadn't made the above post when I typed mine.

Hey, great minds and all that.
X-men definitely raised some eyebrows and showed that the genre wasn't dead, but it's nothing compared to what Spider-man did. And as I mentioned it was already well into pre-production before X-men came out. You'll note that the MCU's basic approach owes everything to Raimi and, dare I say, very little to Singer.

If we're going to follow that logic, we should attribute Blade as well.
Except Blade wasn't taken as seriously as X1. The reception of both movies speaks for itself. I would also say X1 started the trend of "grounding" a comic-book IP that the Dark Knight franchise later capitalized on. I wouldn't argue that Spider-Man is more important though. That is true.

As far as the OP's question, Kevin Feige has done way more than anyone else.

Back in 2002, Spider-Man completely overshadowed Star Wars. STAR WARS! It was huge, and people noticed.

Zach Snyder.

Any aspiring director can watch one of his films and learn everything you shouldn't do when making a superhero film.

Bryan Singer. Everyone but the director of Blade followed after him. He was the first person ever to bring us a realistic superhero film. Prior to that we had a lot of campy superhero films. X-Men was the game changer that paved the way and inspired the rest.

ADDING since there are two different questions... who saved the superhero genre? Singer. Who is the most important person? Donner. Donner inspired everyone. Singer saved the state superhero movies were in that paved the way for everyone that came after. Since X-Men the superhero genre hasn't needed to be saved since it has consistently run strong since then, whereas in the 90s it was dud after dud after dud. With the only quality superhero film of the 90s being Batman Forever.

Last edited:
Sam Raimi and Bryan Singer, both created 2 different types of superhero movies that serve as the template for the kind of superhero movies we have now. Spider-Man 1 & 2 were the most unapolagetic superhero movies until The Avengers, it took the spirit and style of the comics and put it on the big screen. X-Men 1 and especially X2 were grounded, gritty, dark and had more cerebral stories. Joss Whedon and Nolan were basically extensions of Raimi and Singer.

In terms of production then its definitely Kevin Feige and Avi Arad before he went crazy.

F Superhero movies, Fiege is the most important person in Hollywood.

It's really tough to say since one success lead to another. Burton showed superhero films can be profitable. Singer showed that more ambition superheroes can be done well. Raimi showed the superhero movies can be critically acclaimed as well as insanely profitable. And Nolan showed the genre can go toe-to-toe with any other genre in terms of quality.

But I have to give it to Fiege for setting up the first true cinematic universe and shepherding it to such praise that it's not only defining the superhero genre but making the concept of shared universes a bandwagon everyone and their mother is trying to jump on to it. He's really the key figure to maintaining the quality and consistency of the MCU as well as hiring all the directors and actors associated with it.

Sam Raimi, With Spiderman Trilogy have first superhero debut spiderman 2002 successfully in domestic $403 Million

Kevin Feige, with huge project Marvel Cinematic Universe have 3 phase starting in 2008, and now tops $10 Billion worldwide

Last edited:
Except Blade wasn't taken as seriously as X1. .

Oh, but it was. CBMs were dead in the water in '98 after B&R tanked and Spawn's lukewarm reception. Blade took a comparatively obscure character and turned it into the #1 movie in the country. That was unheard of at the time. Without Norrington, Goyer, and Snipes, I'm not sure the golden era of comic adaptations would have materialized.

Sam Raimi and Bryan Singer, both created 2 different types of superhero movies that serve as the template for the kind of superhero movies we have now. Spider-Man 1 & 2 were the most unapolagetic superhero movies until The Avengers, it took the spirit and style of the comics and put it on the big screen. X-Men 1 and especially X2 were grounded, gritty, dark and had more cerebral stories. Joss Whedon and Nolan were basically extensions of Raimi and Singer.

In terms of production then its definitely Kevin Feige and Avi Arad before he went crazy.
:up:

Kevin Feige: The One Above All.

He breathed life into the MCU. In the beginning, there was nothing, then Lord Feige willed the MCU into existence. Marvel movies aren't simply made. Kevin narrates the MCU in his dreams and then they are made so. For it is written.

Last edited:
Not to sound condescending? But Bryan Singer's influence is overlooked, IMO.

Chris Nolan is often praised for popularising the dark and gritty perspective of superhero films, and I won't deny his influence. But that dark and gritty approach to superhero movies exists because of Brett Ratner.

No superhero film pre-X-Men would've started in German occupied Poland, with a kid watching his family get torn away from him in a concentration camp.

We owe Kevin Feige the MCU at the moment, though. I love papa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"