'Moving' Visual Effects

Retroman

Avenger
Reaction score
UPDATE (Sept. '08)
A video showcasing the effects they worked on with some behind the scenes footage is now online!:woot:

http://www.moving-picture.co.uk/ind...els&id=434:film-xmen-vfx-breakdown&Itemid=277

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found this on UK effects house Moving Picture Company's official site.They've released a press release and some images of their work.

thumb8hx.jpg

1x35eq.jpg

2x31dz.jpg

3x36hx.jpg

MPC's effects blow away ‘X-Men; The Last Stand.'

Brett Ratner has directed the third installment of the Marvel comic inspired X-Men trilogy for 20th Century Fox. MPC has supplied visual effects for six sequences which range from creating atmospheric effects including storm clouds and rising leaves, rocks and water, to creating fully cg environments and the sequence where we see Xavier atomize along with his surroundings.

The X-Men, mutant heroes sworn to defend a world that hates and fears them, are back! This time, with the help of new recruits The Beast and Angel, they must face evolution itself in the form of their former teammate, Jean Grey. Possessed with the cosmic power of the Dark Phoenix, the resurrected Jean Grey has become a danger to herself, her mutant comrades, and the entire planet. To stave off this imminent threat to humanity, a potential cure is discovered and processed to treat -- and ultimately eliminate -- genetic mutations, once and for all. Now, as the battle lines are drawn, the X-Men, led by Professor Charles Xavier, must contend with both Jean Grey's world-consuming powers, as well as the malevolent Brotherhood, a band of powerful mutants organized under Xavier's former ally, Magneto.

MPC was involved during the early stages of pre-production to develop the look of Jean Grey. The process was multi-faceted including development of the look of Jean's eyes, skin tone, skin glow and veins as well as the range of stages that the character progressed through throughout the film. Once the effects had been blocked out into all the various sequences a process of fine tuning was undertaken to establish the final look. The effects achieved using the practical photography enhanced with 3d bone, skin and vein layers the balance of which was adjusted and manipulated using Shake.

For the climactic sequences featuring Xavier and Jean, MPC built a fully 3d environment and cg body for Xavier. The only practical components of these shots were Jean Grey and Xavier's head. As Xavier atomises, his body and the room break up into myriad tiny pieces. This was achieved utilizing MPC's in house rigid body dynamics system ‘PAPI' which simulates the properties of bodies and how they re-act to external stimuli. This was a particularly challenging sequence which needed extensive choreography of the many varied cg elements comprising each shot. Texturing was of paramount importance; all the cg elements mirror the exact texture properties of their natural counterparts which meant simulating that of a flying sofa, plants, books and windows. The team also created a specific tool to emulate the disintegration of wallpaper.

For the ‘Jean and Scott' sequence, the team seamlessly combined two plates, where live action trees and forest intercut with a fully cg lake environment. To create this, fluid simulation was carried out in Maya and then rendered using Renderman. The CG water reacts to an underwater explosion in the lake, with waves and ripples realistically emanating from the site of the explosion. A significant development phase was undertaken to establish a bespoke look for the CG water. The brief was to create something surreal and peculiar as a precursor to Jean Grey's resurrection.

Where Jean demonstrates her power as a young girl a background build was required. Elements such as rising cars were composited into the window and much cleaning was necessary to remove crew, reflections, rigs and so forth. Other work included iconic X Men effects such as Storms eyes, Wolverine's blades, Scott's lazer beam and speeding up Calisto. Similarly, more of MPC's atmospheric effects are seen in the ‘storm bothered' sequences where Storm's inner turmoil inadvertently summons swirling storm clouds and angry skies. As she calms, so does her environment, which MPC re-created through 3D cloud simulation enhanced with 3d and 2d effects elements and sophisticated compositing techniques.

‘X-Men III; the Last Stand' is on theatrical release from May 26th 2006.

Ends

2006 releases to receive treatment at The Moving Picture Company (MPC) include Ron Howard's much anticipated ‘Da Vinci Code,' Wolfgang Petersen's ‘Poseidon,' Brett Ratner's ‘X-Men 3' and Danny Boyle's ‘Sunshine.' Other projects in production include; ‘Amazing Grace' (Michael Apted), ‘'Sixty Six' (Paul Weiland) ‘The Good Night' (Jake Paltrow), The Golden Age (Shekhar Kapur), ‘10,000 BC' (Roland Emmerich) ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' (David Yates), ‘Littleman' Keenen Ivory Wayans,), ‘Curse of the Broken Flower'(Yhang Zimou)
www.moving-picture.com
Source: http://www.moving-picture.com

Last edited:
Retroman said:
:eek: *saves*

Interesting article. Loved all their work... 'cept how Storms eyes changed but thats me nitpicking.

Jean-Xavier was amazing and should have been longer.

Jean was freaky in that scene, that was the one time in the movie I was scared of her.

Retroman said:
Jean-Xavier was amazing and should have been longer.

Yep. That was basically the climax of the movie for me . . . Famke, McKellen, and Stewart all the way . . . after that, I could have cared less how many times I watched lesser mutants like Callisto dash around or "arm-growing man" regrow his limbs--I credit that scene for being the reason I didn't mind spending my money to see X3.

BMM said:
Yep. That was basically the climax of the movie for me . . . Famke, McKellen, and Stewart all the way . . . after that, I could have cared less how many times I watched lesser mutants like Callisto dash around or "arm-growing man" regrow his limbs--I credit that scene for being the reason I didn't mind spending my money to see X3.

Me too. I liked the movie well enough till after this scene, everything afterwards was kinda lame and underwhelming. Besides the flying GG bridge. That is still probably the best effect in the entire movie.

That scene was done very well! If only Brett Ratner had done the rest of the film after that scene as good this film would've been much better!

BMM said:
I thought the sequence when she had a neo moment, created water falls and destroyed everything in her path except Wolverine was pretty cool.

Everytime I went to see this, during those scenes, some dude would yell out, "must be that time of the month!" :o

DarknessOfDeath said:
yup... sexy, scary and beautiful at the same time.

You're so far in the closet you are finding Xaviers ashes. :rolleyes:

JUST KIDDING. :D :p

terry78 said:
Everytime I went to see this, during those scenes, some dude would yell out, "must be that time of the month!" :o
lol

Honestly... sure she was scary but man! I love her darkside ;)

Retroman said:
I thought the sequence when she had a neo moment, created water falls and destroyed everything in her path except Wolverine was pretty cool.

I thought it was cool looking, but it didn't share the same sense of gravity (so to speak), as the confrontation at Jean's house . . . which is why, for me, everything else simply falls by the wayside after that.

Cool, Retro! Famke looks really good in this shot from the video:

phoenix.jpg

also...
phoenix2.jpg

Last edited:
she doesn't looks as evil without the effect, hehe.

Maybe that's why they added them.

Yeah, they did an excellent job on the effects for her. If only they added some fire though :p

In the top screencap you posted you can see a kind of fierish looking hue around the head. Probably because of the lighting of the hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"