NBC's The New Normal

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
[YT]nJfBZxUlzhY[/YT]
I actually think this looks like it could be really good. But, then, I also know what trajectory Ryan Murphy's projects tend to take. I just hope that, given how many shows he has going right now, the show is more under Ali Adler's control. She wrote for Chuck during it's best years and wrote some of the better episodes of Glee this past season. Let her take care of the story/character aspect and Murphy can just throw in a handful of one-liners here and there.

Plus, given how hard that One Million Moms hate organization is trying to fight this show, that's just more reason for me to want to see this succeed. :o:up:

EW.com:
NBC on 'New Normal' protest: Comedy a 'love letter to families'
by James Hibberd

In the wake of a conservative group protesting NBC’s upcoming sitcom The New Normal, the network’s entertainment president characterized the show as an inclusive family comedy to critics Tuesday.

Anti-gay group One Million Moms is calling for a boycott of the fall comedy from American Horror Story and Glee writer-producer Ryan Murphy. The New Normal is about a gay couple (Andrew Rannells and Justin Bartha) having their first child via a surrogate (Georgia King).

“[Murphy] is a guy who pushes the envelope, but this show is really his love letter to families,” NBC entertainment president Jennifer Salke told critics at the network’s press tour session in Beverly Hills. “I’ve read the first three episodes [and] they’re incredibly accessible and warm-hearted. You do get some comedy from the Nana character [the surrogate's bigoted grandmother played by Ellen Barkin], who’s brilliantly portrayed. She’s exploring an extreme side of the audience that may have different attitudes about that family.”
“It’s about responsible parenting, changing your lifestyle [when you start to have] children, pursing your dreams — from everyone’s point of view in the piece,” Salke continued. “It’s by no means centered just on the gay couple in the middle of it … the title is not meant to push the idea that it’s a more ‘normal’ family than everybody else. It’s just meant to … bring a family show to the public that captures the zeitgeist, and what’s going on in the country right now and being more inclusive.”

If its anything like RM other shows, first season will be gold, then who knows where it will go afterwards.

Adore Andrew Rannells. Love Ellen Barkin. Will not watch this. :(

Out of all the comedies from NBC, this one interested me the most and on paper looked like it could be a hit.

Louis CK is right in that groups like One Million Moms just don't want or know how to tell their kids that some people are gay and are in love, so they spend their time protesting.

Looks to me to be NBC's answer to Modern Family. I'll probably pass.

I love Modern Family....

As do I, but NBC and Ryan Murphy basically trying to copy the formula? I'll pass.

This isn't even the same. Maybe if cam / Mitchell got their own show.

Oh, I get it. There's a gay couple trying to start a family. And MF did that. So it's copying... huh.

Co-creator Allison Adler had a 10 year relationship with Sara Gilbert that ended last year. Adler had a boy and Gilbert had a girl, they still have joint custody. So write what you know...

As do I, but NBC and Ryan Murphy basically trying to copy the formula? I'll pass.

Minus the 'fake' documentary style, two other families.

Always good when a company that owns at TV station says in a release to go find programming online! But the Church of LDS owns them.

SNL doesn't even air on their station, The CW in Salt Lake City does.

I don't think this looks anything like Modern Family. :huh:

I think it looks cute. It reminded me of my friend's co-worker who adopted a baby through a surrogate with his partner a few years back.

And Elder Price is in it. Maybe that's also why Utah is mad about it. Besides the bigoted homophobe problem they have.... :whatever:

Doesn't really interest me. Based off the preview, it's missing that cute, little x factor that Modern Family has. (Not that I think it's a direct copy of MF, although I do think MF's success has opened the doors to be able to do shows like TNN.)

I don't think this looks anything like Modern Family. :huh:

I think it looks cute. It reminded me of my friend's co-worker who adopted a baby through a surrogate with his partner a few years back.

And Elder Price is in it. Maybe that's also why Utah is mad about it. Besides the bigoted homophobe problem they have.... :whatever:

Maybe the first season will be decent, but it's Murphy so I'm just going to keep my distance. Which is a shame, because I just LOVE Rannells. Hope this does wonders for his career, though I'll miss him on the Broadway stage. :(

Maybe the first season will be decent, but it's Murphy so I'm just going to keep my distance. Which is a shame, because I just LOVE Rannells. Hope this does wonders for his career, though I'll miss him on the Broadway stage. :(

I know, I feel the same way about Murphy, so I'm leery about where this goes. I'm so glad my folks got to see Rannells in Mormon, they saw it about a week before he left. I still wish he'd won the Tony...

I know, I feel the same way about Murphy, so I'm leery about where this goes. I'm so glad my folks got to see Rannells in Mormon, they saw it about a week before he left. I still wish he'd won the Tony...
I suppose it was a case of him and Gad cancelling each other out. That generally happens when 2 actors from the same show are nominated in lead categories together. Ah well. :csad:

I actually just saw Mormon again 2 days ago. First time without those 2. it was... different. Still great, though.

Didn't Gad also get an NBC pilot picked up?

I suppose it was a case of him and Gad cancelling each other out. That generally happens when 2 actors from the same show are nominated in lead categories together. Ah well. :csad:

I actually just saw Mormon again 2 days ago. First time without those 2. it was... different. Still great, though.

Didn't Gad also get an NBC pilot picked up?

I think that's what happened there too. I love Norbert too, so I was still happy he won.

I haven't seen it since last summer. I've been a lotto loser twice since then. I'd love to see the tour with Gavin Creel.

Gad is joining 1600 Penn (also on NBC), and he also just did that biopic about Steve Jobs. I missed him in Mormon, but Jared Gertner was hilarious. :up:

I got too see Jared a few months ago, and yes he is HILARIOUS. But, he's even funnier in his own track. :D

FYI, this thread just got cleaned up a little...let's keep the accusations of ignorance and trolling down to minimum folks. It's just a TV show, after all.

Why does this have a real housewife in it?

Because Ryan Murphy has a hard-on for Bravolebrities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"