Neil Blompkamp's Chappie

This looks good, although seems a lot like 'Short Circuit'.

disappointed because i was expecting a R rated scifi comedy.

it looks like it will be a good movie. but man was i excited for a hard scifi r rated comedy.

Wow, I had a different vision for the movie in my head. Just from the early posters, I thought Chappie would be less of a child, but a rebellious teenager who doesn't know any better; and Ant Diewood would be his bad influence.

This is totally a 180.

People keep on mentioning Short Circuit, and while there are notable differences, when Chappie starts talking at the end about 'I am alive, etc', yeah, it does have a 'Johnny 5' vibe.

There's a part of me who thinks some of the skepticism steams from the fallout of 'Elysium'; a well meaning movie that didn't hit all the right notes. But I'm getting the feeling a lot of Neil's ideas steam from his teenage years doodling in his notebooks. It just FEELS like it because with Elysium (hate to pick on it though) felt like interesting themes that were coming from the limitations of an angsty but smart teenager.

Maybe the trailer is misrepresenting the tone a bit. Still I liked the trailer.

I do like it too, overall. I think it's beautiful.

I think we're living in the 'Strike One, you're Out' culture, I'll admit.

I think we're living in the 'Strike One, you're Out' culture, I'll admit.
Neil's movies are very similar so people who didnt like Elysium are maybe afraid that this could suck.

can we all agree that Bloomkam deserves some hate for Jodie's character and performance? i mean it was her first big budget summer movie and she was a villain. it was a disaster.

Trailer:

[YT]OXwichuGW28[/YT]

7AFobFo.gif

I think it looks good. Although I'm not sure the tone of that trailer is a true representation of the tone of the film. Anyway this has a robot watching He-Man so I'm in.

I'm immensely excited for this. But I hate that they included Die Antwoord after they spent the majority of their music career dragging the global perceptions of South Africans through the ****ing mud.

I hate to break it to you but I doubt anybody has thought any more or any less about South Africans as a people due to Die Antwoord.

I don't get the hate? I enjoy some of their music and once you accept that they are pretty much a high concept novelty act they're pretty fun.

They're techno rappers from South Africa. . . they're . . . special.

disappointed because i was expecting a R rated scifi comedy.

it looks like it will be a good movie. but man was i excited for a hard scifi r rated comedy.

How exactly is a green band trailer supposed to convey a hard R?

[YT]HhNshgSYF_M[/YT]

Higher quality link.

Based off the script rumors things don't go well at the end, he ultimately loses all to protect his friends, making him the most "human" of all. The ending is a major tearjerker

Spoiler tags?

I never want to hear an exuse about why a film looks cheap again. Blompkamp continues to embarrass the vast majority of filmmakers in that regard.

It looks really good, more WALL-E than The Terminator.

He looks pretty cute. Plus I love seeing dev Patel in something

I never want to hear an exuse about why a film looks cheap again. Blompkamp continues to embarrass the vast majority of filmmakers in that regard.

Indeed, he always manages to make a Sci-Fi film LOOK good, the substance is up for debate but visuals are always impressive in his films.

This looks interesting, a shift in tone from Elysium from the looks of the trailer. Will probably check it out even though his last was a slight dissapointment.

Wow this director really likes (motion captured) industrial looking robots in a slum setting. He seems to be a one trick pony.

Last edited:
but Blomkamp is always filming on locations that are easy to film and are very cheap for hollywood studios. HardSurface robots are also very easy to do for the last 6-8 years.

the guy is talented . but until he doesnt make a movie outside the slums we dont know how good he is with budgets.if District 9 was filmed on the cornfields of ''Kansas'' it would IMO become 2 times more expensive.

:woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"