Neo Noir approaches for the rogues gallery

Banes a perfectly fine addition to the rogues gallery and I would argue that neither of his screen iterations have really done the character justice, one being a hulking brainless henchman, the other was better (but its a mistake getting rid of the venom connection) but ultimately still just a pawn in someone else's plan at the end of the day.

I'll admit In the original nightfall run I hated the character, but as time has gone on I've grown to really appreciate him, the history and his motivations, and he has far more depth than I ever initially appreciated.

A take on the character that actually captures the history and builds on his intelligence and cunning would be interesting.

Also I don't think it's essential that the character is used just to repeat the breaking of the batman story again, thinking that's all bane is good for is a massive mistake and only superficially gets what the character is about.

That's probably why I didn't like or get the character when he was first introduced, just felt gimmicky , basically that was all he was brought in for. But since then he's become an interesting character in his own right.

Also my personal preference to introducing bane would be the venom connection.

Again the original story in legends of the dark knight sums up why I love batman so much. Bruce's motivations and sense of failure that leads him to using venom perfectly sums up batman for me, no matter how many victories he has its the losses that will always haunt and define him. Used right Bane could perfectly play with some heavy themes for Bruce and his already damaged psyche (especially in this interpretation).

But having said all that I still want to see Hugo strange :-) ,
and I think Bautista would be perfectly fine, as with any actor a good director goes a long way to getting a good performance.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Bane in a fourth film.

These films don't have to follow the comics and only have Bane appear when Batman is in his late 40s with a Batfamily.

He also doesn't have to break Batman's back as another poster pointed out.

This is Reeves vision, so he's not bound to replay TDKR or Knightfall just because there's precedent.

He's got room to do with Bane what he choses, and doesn't have to follow the comics step by step.

The main reason I wouldn't want to see Bane for part 2 is because
that really would be too much like TDKR with the city under Marshall and cut off from the rest of the country.

In terms actors playing Bane, while I like Bautista or Bardem, they're both on the older end at this point, and I'd want Bane to either be a contemporary or a bit younger than Pattinson.

In terms of what a Reeves Bane could be like, I wouldn't mind Reeve's Bane being of afro latin descent.

If they were going the afro-latin characterization, then I'd want an actor in the mold of Winston Duke.

winston-duke.jpg

Now, he's obviously off the table given his contract with Marvel , but for that specific version of Bane, that's the type of actor I would want.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Bane in a fourth film.

These films don't have to follow the comics and only have Bane appear when Batman is in his late 40s with a Batfamily.

He also doesn't have to break Batman's back as another poster pointed out.

This is Reeves vision, so he's not bound to replay TDKR or Knightfall just because there's precedent.

He's got room to do with Bane what he choses, and doesn't have to follow the comics step by step.

The main reason I wouldn't want to see Bane for part 2 is because
that really would be too much like TDKR with the city under Marshall and cut off from the rest of the country.

In terms actors playing Bane, while I like Bautista or Bardem, they're both on the older end at this point, and I'd want Bane to either be a contemporary or a bit younger than Pattinson.

In terms of what a Reeves Bane could be like, I wouldn't mind Reeve's Bane being of afro latin descent.

If they were going the afro-latin characterization, then I'd want an actor in the mold of Winston Duke.

winston-duke.jpg

Now, he's obviously off the table given his contract with Marvel , but for that specific version of Bane, that's the type of actor I would want.

Bane from Trinidad sounds interesting. Where is he from originally in the comics?

Who was the guy that was rumored to be Bane in The Batman? I remember there being a report but I'm blanking on the actor's name.

Who was the guy that was rumored to be Bane in The Batman? I remember there being a report but I'm blanking on the actor's name.
Theo Rossi but that rumour was made up because he had worked with Reeves in Cloverfield

Did anyone see Bautista's performance in Spectre (Bond movie) or Dune?

Would you like to see him? And who could possibly play him?

I would love to see maybe Benicio del Toro or Javier Bardem playing gangster Bane but I don't see it happenning
a373d6eb658502a7a914f3f0394aeef6.jpg
The only way I would bring Bane into this universe, is after the current arc is done - I'm expecting a trilogy or there about - that loosely connects and ties it together. So after 3/4 movies, I would hope to see it and I would expect it to be gory, psychological and really see Bruce suffer, as Gotham literally burns - which would be a nice mirroring of floods. Only for batman to eventually rise like a phoenix from the ashes.
I want Bane to be rogue...

I think this thread should be retitled to allow us to mention other characters and how Reeves would incorporate them.

I would love to see Clark Kent the reporter in this world and limit superman to tv news reports, passing comment etc.
I would love him to appear as a side character, we don't even know his name - just credited as 'reporter A' so that it keeps people guessing who notice a similarity - some won't even notice it. Then after a while it's revealed he is clark, then gets a bigger role or gets his own movie! However, I wouldn't like to see Superman and Batman meet, anytime soon and when they do, it has to be all practical effects, no cgi at all.

I think this thread should be retitled to allow us to mention other characters and how Reeves would incorporate them.

I would love to see Clark Kent the reporter in this world and limit superman to tv news reports, passing comment etc.
I would love him to appear as a side character, we don't even know his name - just credited as 'reporter A' so that it keeps people guessing who notice a similarity - some won't even notice it. Then after a while it's revealed he is clark, then gets a bigger role or gets his own movie! However, I wouldn't like to see Superman and Batman meet, anytime soon and when they do, it has to be all practical effects, no cgi at all.
good idea how should I rename it?

good idea how should I rename it?
I can change the name if you want me to. Let me know what name you would like.

Edit: actually not sure but you can probably edit it yourself.

Last edited:
I can change the name if you want me to. Let me know what name you would like.

Edit: actually not sure but you can probably edit it yourself.
How do I rename it? I'm still new to this

Hey Iceman I already changed the name what do you think?

This might seem too sci-fi, but I do wonder if they could do a heightened take on atom traps to explain a freeze gun for Mr. Freeze:

Using lasers, scientists can deep-freeze atoms down to a hair’s breadth above absolute zero. Because such cold atoms move very slowly, their properties can easily be measured. That makes them especially good for making ever-more-precise atomic clocks, navigation systems, and measurements of the Earth.
NIST Develops Compact Laser-Cooled Atom Trap

Solomon Grundy

OURxluI.gif

In Matt Reeves’ The Batman universe, Solomon Grundy is not a zombie. Rather, Cyrus Gold was a mob enforcer years ago whose time was up. Narrowly escaping the mob’s firing squad, Gold fled the streets of Gotham City to avoid a death sentence.

Today, Gold dwells in the shadows of Gotham’s derelict sewer system—his skin pale from his years living as an under-dweller. His existence an urban legend that even a young Bruce Wayne knew from nursery rhymes…

“Solomon Grundy. Born on a Monday…”

After the Riddler’s assault in The Batman, much of Gotham City remains flooded with more and more Gothamites are entering Grundy’s domain…

Despite their initial conflict, the Batman finds an unlikely ally in Grundy and invites him to join his crusade by offering him sanctuary in the Bat Cave.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
If they wanted to due a noir Poison Ivy , they could use the femme fatale archetype as a guide.

You could even have Pamela married to a rich older person for whom she secretly uses their money to fund her goal and agenda. Of course they would be oblivious to her and would have blinders on with regards to her.

Of course, in keeping with Noir, she would have a lover ,or lovers ,on the side helping her in her dual life.

She could infect Battinson, the result of that being, an intense obsession and attraction to her on a very visceral level ,as opposed to the the usual ," everyone falls in love with her" thing .

There are countless model's of this type of character in Noir cinema, but here are a few examples

bodyhed.jpg

Kathleen Turner , Body heat

gif-lana-turner-Favim.com-2062813.gif

Lana Turner, The Postman Always Rings Twice

956b.gif

Barbara Stanwyck, Double Indemnity

5e45da4dc2d95b788e9764ba8babf07526ad3a76.gifv

Lena Olin, Romeo Is Bleeding

tumblr_m9qdzdsmdU1qztifbo6_r2_250.gif

Nora Zehetner, Brick

tumblr_mneaw6ozwA1sr56quo5_r1_250.gifv

Olivia d'Abo , Law And Order : Criminal Intent.
It's not noir, but its the same type of character

She doesn't have to be stunning , but she should be charismatic , and you should be able to see how she could draw so many people into her web.

It wouldn't be the eco terrorist angle that I also like, but if we're drawing on Noir elements, this route is a route they could go.

Last edited:
I’m in no rush to see Bane again. But Bardem or Bautista would be great choices. Either now, or back in the TDKR days.

Yeah. I wouldn't want to see Bane just yet, as he's meant to be the consummate challenger amid the next wave of a more established rogues' gallery. And, for better or worse, we already got that with the Nolan trilogy (well, sort of, anyway). More to the main point though, this Batman is only into his second year of crime fighting. Hence, he hasn't faced off against enough worthy opponents to garner Bane's attention at this point. Besides, there are so many other great Bat-villains to choose from, some of which have been underutilized in previous films, while others simply haven't appeared at all.

And I already know what people will say. Bane needn't be portrayed in a way that conforms to the ultimate nemesis trope so to speak. Here's the thing: I'd be fine with a treatment whereby he's already known to a more seasoned Batman from previous encounters. That way, you could avoid said trope and further develop him from the POV that he's looking for purpose after having been previously thwarted by the Bat in spectacular fashion. But once again, our new Batman is not a seasoned crime-fighter — not yet. Likewise, Reeves is on record as saying that villains like Penguin and even the Joker have yet to become the fully formed versions of themselves that we're accustomed to seeing in past films, comics, etc. Point being, were the franchise to revisit Bane now, it's more than likely that his origins would need to be retold. And that wouldn't make much sense for the reasons I just explained.

Yeah. I wouldn't want to see Bane just yet, as he's meant to be the consummate challenger amid the next wave of a more established rogues' gallery. And, for better or worse, we already got that with the Nolan trilogy (well, sort of, anyway). More to the main point though, this Batman is only into his second year of crime fighting. Hence, he hasn't faced off against enough worthy opponents to garner Bane's attention at this point. Besides, there are so many other great Bat-villains to choose from, some of which have been underutilized in previous films, while others simply haven't appeared at all.

And I already know what people will say. Bane needn't be portrayed in a way that conforms to the ultimate nemesis trope so to speak. Here's the thing: I'd be fine with a treatment whereby he's already known to a more seasoned Batman from previous encounters. That way, you could avoid said trope and further develop him from the POV that he's looking for purpose after having been previously thwarted by the Bat in spectacular fashion. But once again, our new Batman is not a seasoned crime-fighter — not yet. Likewise, Reeves is on record as saying that villains like Penguin and even the Joker have yet to become the fully formed versions of themselves that we're accustomed to seeing in past films, comics, etc. Point being, were the franchise to revisit Bane now, it's more than likely that his origins would need to be retold. And that wouldn't make much sense for the reasons I just explained.

Well, I agree with alot of what you're saying though, I don't agree that Bane needs to follow the comics in that he goes after Batman after hearing about him for years , or that his sole motivation is to take down and break the bat.

This , in theory, would be Reeves's Bane ,who doesn't have to follow the comics and thereby wouldn't have to have the same motivations of the comics Bane or Hardy, and there's really nothing to say he couldn't encounter this Batman in his 4th or 5th year.

The only limitation is that that's how he's been portrayed before.
But that doesn't mean that that's the only way a Reeve Bane could work.
It's just that that's what's been done in the past.

I know alot of fans would prefer that he face Bane much later in his career , but the preference for that type of Bane story, doesn't mean Reeve couldn't come up with a story in which Reeve's version of Bane encounters Bruce in year 4 or 5.

That's what I mean when I say it doesn't have to follow the comics .
He brought something new, imo to The Riddler who wasn't a portrayed before as a Zodiac and Seven like killer type, so there's nothing to say he couldn't bring something new to Bane, and give him an entirely different motivation, or to encounter this Batman at a different time in his career.

I get what Reeves about Penguin and Joker, but that doesn't preclude him taking a different approach with other villains down the line.
Given that this is a creative process, nothing is set in stone , so I don't see that statement as a closed to the approach towards other villains.

I mean, I agree with you that Bane shouldn't be the villain of the second film, but I don't agree with your assumption that you couldn't have the character because other things have to happen first.

That assumes he's Reeves is following the comics to a T, and what I'm saying is a Reeve version of Bane doesn't have to follow the comics to a T, since it'd be Reeves version and vision for the character.

Last edited:
Well, I agree with alot of what you're saying though, I don't agree that Bane needs to follow the comics in that he goes after Batman after hearing about him for years , or that his sole motivation is to take down and break the bat.

This , in theory, would be Reeves's Bane ,who doesn't have to follow the comics and thereby wouldn't have to have the same motivations of the comics Bane or Hardy, and there's really nothing to say he couldn't encounter this Batman in his 4th or 5th year.

The only limitation is that that's how he's been portrayed before.
But that doesn't mean that that's the only way a Reeve Bane could work.
It's just that that's what's been done in the past.

I know alot of fans would prefer that he face Bane much later in his career , but the preference for that type of Bane story, doesn't mean Reeve couldn't come up with a story in which Reeve's version of Bane encounters Bruce in year 4 or 5.

That's what I mean when I say it doesn't have to follow the comics .
He brought something new, imo to The Riddler who wasn't a considered a serial killer type, so there's nothing to say he couldn't bring something new to Bane, and give him an entirely different motivation, or to encounter this Batman at a different time in his career.

I get what Reeves about Penguin and Joker, but that doesn't preclude him taking a different approach with other villains down the line.
Given that this is a creative process, nothing is set in stone , so I don't see that statement as a closed to the approach towards other villains.

I mean, I agree with you that Bane shouldn't be the villain of the second film, but I don't agree with your assumption that you couldn't have the character because other things have to happen first.

That assumes he's Reeves is following the comics to a T, and what I'm saying is a Reeve version of Bane doesn't have to follow the comics to a T, since it'd be Reeves version and vision for the character.

I'm not suggesting that you can't use him per se. Of course, as a filmmaker you can reimagine/retool virtually any character to your liking so long as it's done in a way that makes sense within the overarching narrative. It's just that, for me, Bane represents the ultimate challenge to a more seasoned Batman in an almost intrinsic way. It's something that I'll always associate with that character.

Having said that, I'm more open to a variety of other changes as relates to Bane. For instance, I couldn't care less if he comes from the fictional Santa Prisca or not. I also needn't see him portrayed as some towering behemoth, as is generally the case in the comics, cartoons, etc. But I always want him to remain the villain who tests a fully-formed Batman to his absolute limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"