Netflix Jupiter’s Legacy

I'm going into this completely cold just like I did with Shadow and Bone. I haven't watched any trailers for it and have only seen a few photos and the cast on IMDB.

Love how this premise sounds though and I'm always down for an original superhero show, especially one that I know absolutely nothing about.

Ok I just finished and as a fan of the comic I’m pretty satisfied and really enjoyed the experience.

I loved the cast and thought the action and the effects were pretty good. I liked the changes they made from the comic to the show.

I thought the two timeline storyline worked for the most part but in some episodes it did slow down the pacing so hopefully if they get a season 2 they fix that because I do think combining Jupiter’s Circle and Jupiter’s Legacy into a godfather 2 like structure was the way to go.

I do think though that some of the show felt off but I think that’s mostly because of Steven Deknights departure and the switch to a different showrunner to be honest.

But with that said I think overall this was a pretty good start to Netflix’s Millarworld properties but I think they need to find a good Showrunner with a vision that the writer they choose and Netflix can agree on but I also believe that Steven Deknight did a good job kicking things off.

The shows not perfect but for me the good outweighed the bad but like I said just get a good showrunner that can improve what’s good about the show and fix certain issues.

I saw the ending coming a mile away even though how it happened was shocking because it made that character even more despicable then the comic and that character was already pretty pathetic.

Compared to the Boys S1 ( I haven’t started S2 yet) and Invincible which I finished Wednesday as well as the Marvel Studios Disney Plus shows the show needs some work if they want to compete with those shows but I believe it can improve.

Hutch my favorite character was the MVP for me though but I am bias lol but I really like the actor that played him Ian Quinlan. Episode 3 was my favorite. Now next up Super Crooks which is an anime based on the comic by Mark Millar and done by Studio Bones.

It is also set in the same universe as Jupiter’s Legacy and will of course tie in with the show only this one will focus on the villains but it’s in the name.

I didn’t know it was set In the same universe till I read Mark’s Twitter so I bought the comic and really liked it.

This has to be the greatest superhero story of all time.

When I started work on Jupiter’s Legacy in 2012, this was the first line I wrote in my notepad - a high bar to set before coming up with a single line of dialogue.

After a decade of writing comic books, I knew I wanted to go out on my own and I knew I wanted to tell a different kind of superhero story. When I started working on Jupiter's Legacy, my wife and I just had our second baby and family stories were suddenly more interesting to me. You don't see many stories about superheroes with kids. I thought, “What would it be like if somebody as cool as Superman married somebody as amazing as Wonder Woman and they had kids?” That's a fascinating dynamic, and it would be especially difficult for the children to live up to their parents’ expectations and legacies.

I was inspired and began writing scribbled scenes and Post-It notes for two full months, creating an entire universe of characters and how they all related to one another. My office looked like a scene from Zodiac, diagrams everywhere and arrows pointing to characters who might only appear briefly, but 30 years of backstory worked out in more intimate detail than I know some of my best friends.

When my wife, Lucy, and I sold Millarworld to Netflix in 2017, our first priority was Jupiter’s Legacy. We had flirted with the idea of a movie, but Netflix afforded us the chance to make this adaptation as big and deep as it needed to be, all those scribbled notes and Post-Its fully realised into a series that wouldn’t need to be condensed into a three-act film.

Although I’ve seen cut after cut, I’ve never once grown tired of watching what this dream cast and crew have assembled. I hope you love it as much as I do.

As I get ready to share this work with the world, I also wanted to give an update on where we are with some of our projects. We are being thoughtful and deliberate, taking our time in building out each story organically. Our slate is curated to feature a wide variety of content - but you’ll feel the Millarworld DNA in all of them -- always through an “artist” and “fan-first” lens.

First let’s start with some news:

We’re hard at work on a six-episode live-action spy series right now, my first since Kingsman, but a very different kind of property. The writer is someone I’ve been a massive fan of for two decades, and he was the only person I approached. This has the potential to be one of the biggest franchises I’ve ever created. I’m so excited and I hope you will be too!

I’m also happy to share that The Magic Order is in active development after we had to postpone due to all the uncertainty last year. Some time away has given us a chance to come back with a completely fresh look at the material, and we should be getting into our new writers’ room very shortly. I created it to be a live-action series, but as comic fans know, I’m also passionate about doing books. I’m excited to report that we have The Magic Order volume 2 launching in October by the legendary Stuart Immonen and volume 3 immediately afterwards by the sensational European artist Gigi Cavenago.

The development for American Jesus is coming along beautifully in the talented and capable hands of Everardo Gout (Marvel’s Luke Cage, Sacred Lies) and Leopoldo Gout (Molly’s Game, Instinct). I’m blown away by the creative choices that Netflix has allowed us, and particularly since this series will feature Spanish and English dialogue.

We’re excited for the world to see the anime adaptation of Super Crooks later this year. This superpowered heist comic about eight super-villains is jam-packed with action and told in 13 30-minute episodes lushly produced by Bones.inc (My Hero Academia, Mob Psycho 100, Godzilla Singular Point). Fans will be able to catch the first glimpse of this highly anticipated series at the Annecy Festival this June.

On the film side, Reborn is currently being written by Bek Smith, who came out of the Marvel Writing Program. We’ve tapped Chris McKay (The Lego Batman Movie) to direct and Sandra Bullock will produce along with Vertigo Entertainment. Empress, Huck, and Sharkey The Bounty Hunter continue to move forward with all three features in various stages of development. And we have also added Prodigy to the slate with a phenomenal script by Matthew and Ryan Firpo (Marvel’s The Eternals).

Stay tuned for more!

About Netflix - Mark Millar on ‘Jupiter’s Legacy’ and What’s Next From Millarworld

Im one episode in and dont know anything about it. Sometimes it felt like a low budget copycat. I will continue watching but I am confused by all those characters with nearly the same outfit and dont get why we need those flashbacks.

I just finished the first episode. Is it groundbreaking? No. Is the storyline out of this world? No. But it seems enjoyable enough. Special effects/Fight scenes were enjoyable along with the costumes.

Daddy superhero is a bit annoying.
Your big bad killed 2 of your teammates and you yell at your son for saving the rest of the time and half the town by killing the bad guy? I mean....come on. You call it the easy way out but....all of you were getting your butts kicked

Question for those who read the books: how did the other guys/gals get their powers ?

Question for those who read the books: how did the other guys/gals get their powers ?
When I read the book I wondered that too but Mark Millar explained that everybody else on that ship got powers too. In the show when the six get powers they show the crew effected too. I think they may of mentioned in the book but I don’t remember and I read the book six times so I should but I don’t.

Yeah so....these flashbacks are really boring thus far and the daughters plot is rather boring thus far. 1 episode of heroics followed by at least 2 episodes of pure backstory and non-heroics...
tenor.gif

It's far from great, but I did end up enjoying this and hopefully there is Season 2 because I would like to see where it goes after that ending. I thought Josh Duhamel was flat out great in this, but suprisingly he wasn't my favorite character which was George Hutchence and Im not even familar with the actor that plays him at all, but Matt Lanter brought alot more likability, charm and energy to the role than I expected.

Usually, the snobby rich characters aren't sympathetic or likable in these shows, but I liked that twist to his character and honestly I wish they did more with him in the present day storyline than they did. The stuff with the kids was fine, but the daughter's subplot really ended up going nowhere and I can't help but feel that they could done more with Leslie Bibb in this show as well, because I also felt her character was underdeveloped.

The superhero/family drama was the strongest aspect IMO though thanks to really solid dramatic performances from Ben Daniels and Josh Duhamel, but those flashbacks definitely didn't need to be as long as they were.

Originally, Millar considered adapting the comic series into a movie, but Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn pointed out it was more suited to a 40-hour TV series. In fact, season 1 follows two plot lines: the superheroes in the present day and their origin story in 1929 told in flashbacks. That origin story is laid out very quickly in the first few pages of the comic, and when Millar conceived a movie version he would have quickly dispatched that plotline before the credits. But for the TV version, showrunner Steven DeKnight suggested expanding the backstory instead.
Stan Lee told Jupiter's Legacy creator Mark Millar to stop writing for Marvel

If this doesnt get a S2 I blame Steven DeKnight for his bad advice.

Last edited:
Idk for me I like the two timeline storyline and I like that it expanded on the story that we only got a few panels in the comic.

It made me appreciate Sheldon and others more and understand what they had to go through to get their powers and it makes the present story even more tragic with how their world is now.

But I agree with Kaijudude1992 that they could’ve shortened them some.

Half the season being flashbacks was just to much and fairly boring imo. It could've been shortened and played throughout the season while we deal with whats going on present day. Going from heroics in episode 1 then a pause until episode 4 or 5 was not smart.

I think the only flashback that I thought was kinda boring was when Sheldon went to the desert town. I was kinda like can we move on lol I have to admit.

The scene in episode 7 when Walter broke down into tears and said he blamed Sheldon for their fathers death and that how he was pretty looked as the lesser sibling their whole lives was well acted by Ben Daniels. In the comic he was pretty much just the power hungry jealous brother so that scene actually made me feel some sympathy for me.

I’m am looking forward to this moment from the comic though if we get a season 2 because damn.

Spoilers from the comic. So look only if you want too.

upload_2021-5-7_21-26-10.jpeg
upload_2021-5-7_21-26-28.jpeg

Finished the 1st season....ended decently but...um...did they not think about the fact that they happen to
kill off 4 POC heroes? Barry, Ectoplex, Ghost Beam, Raikou. All of which are the main deaths for the good guys?

When I read the book I wondered that too but Mark Millar explained that everybody else on that ship got powers too. In the show when the six get powers they show the crew effected too. I think they may of mentioned in the book but I don’t remember and I read the book six times so I should but I don’t.

Ha yes, when the power is released, that explains it.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"