New DC Comics Games Coming

Havok83

Avenger
Reaction score
New Warner Bros. Studio To Create DC Comics Games

Montreal studio set to create high-end titles.

by Jim Reilly

March 22, 2010 - Warner Bros. is looking to build off the success of Batman: Arkham Asylum as it plans to release more DC Comics videogames.

The company announced the opening of a brand new game development studio in Montreal, Quebec today. The studio hopes to grow to around 300 employees by 2015, and will house "high-end interactive gaming product development" as well as animation, QA, and game translation.

"We are proud that Warner Bros. has chosen Quebec. We have done a lot of work to position Quebec as an essential place to invest that is competitive, and possesses an exceptional and highly qualified workforce. Warner Bros. has acknowledged this and we are very excited to welcome them", stated Quebec Premier Jean Charest.

While no game titles were announced during the press conference, Canadian website GameFocus was able to confirm with the President of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Martin Tremblay, that the studio will focus on creating DC Comics licensed videogame titles.

Last fall, Warner Bros. announced a sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum was in development by London-based RockSteady Studios. The publisher would purchase a majority of the studio months later.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1079118p1.html

Flash Game Please Flash Game Please Flash Game Please

I hope another Justice League game is made. I liked Justice League Heroes and unfortunately that never got a sequel

Now that we have had a good Batman game I'd like to see a good Superman game. Superman never seems to fare well with games. He needs a good one.

Now that we have had a good Batman game I'd like to see a good Superman game. Superman never seems to fare well with games. He needs a good one.
They need to get the flying down first. That never seems to be implemented well in any chararacter based superhero game. It often lends itself to frustrating controls which ruins gameplay and ultimately the game

Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Superman need a workable flight system (underwater "flight" for Aquaman) pretty much first. Green Lantern can be done with System Shock2/Bioshock style pretty much. FPS + RPG elements. :)

They need to get the flying down first. That never seems to be implemented well in any chararacter based superhero game. It often lends itself to frustrating controls which ruins gameplay and ultimately the game

Well of course. That is what plagued the older Superman games. Like Superman 64.

I'm sure they can do it.

So many wishes, so here are my top-3 for the next DC game:

1. Justice League: Heroes sequel
2. Superman
3. Flash

Superman. Get Superman down first then focus on the less popular characters. The two top characters in the DCU need good games before everyone else, we have half of that already with Batman: Arkham Asylum.

If they do a Superman game, I hope it gets the same treatment as Arkham Asylum, with a great developer, Paul Dini or someone equally good as the writer and either Tim Daly or George Newbern as the voice of Superman, as well as other returning voice actors from the DCAU.

I don't know though whether the game should be free-roam or not. If it is, hopefully they don't make it that you've have to be careful all the time, because you'd otherwise lose if Metropolis was damaged too much. You were more busy avoiding collateral damage, than fighting enemies in the Superman Returns game.

Also, preventing random crimes as Superman would be boring. Since, well, you're freaking Superman. And I don't want to die by gunfire, just to make the random encounters challenging. Unless they give us hordes of robots and aliens, which to be honest, would get ridiculous after a while.

I don't mind if the game is more restricted, with a short gameplay duration of 10+ hours, as long as it's an amazing gaming experience, gameplay and storywise.

When I think Superman game, I imagine a mix between Zone of the Enders 2, Arkham Asylum and God of War. Zone of the Enders 2 for the well done gameplay like flying mechanics, use of multiple incredible powers, abusing constructs from the environment or enemies as weapons. Arkham Asylum for the attention to detail, love and quality that went into it. And God of War for epic battles and use of quick time events.

What if they focused on Superman's powers and abilities and didnt allow free flying? Flying was only possible in certain situations and prompts. Im thinking similarly to Batman and no free jumping on AA. When I first found that out, I was pretty upset and hated the idea, but surprisingly the gameplay was done so well that the instances where he did "jump" felt implemented well. Do you think the developers could do something similar with the flying. Limit it to hovering during normal gameplay and Heavy Rain style QTEs for flying combat

A Wonder Woman Game damn it! I wouldn't care if it rips off GOW being Greek Myth. and all. :)

If they do a Superman game, I hope it gets the same treatment as Arkham Asylum, with a great developer, Paul Dini or someone equally good as the writer and either Tim Daly or George Newbern as the voice of Superman, as well as other returning voice actors from the DCAU.

I don't know though whether the game should be free-roam or not. If it is, hopefully they don't make it that you've have to be careful all the time, because you'd otherwise lose if Metropolis was damaged too much. You were more busy avoiding collateral damage, than fighting enemies in the Superman Returns game.

Also, preventing random crimes as Superman would be boring. Since, well, you're freaking Superman. And I don't want to die by gunfire, just to make the random encounters challenging. Unless they give us hordes of robots and aliens, which to be honest, would get ridiculous after a while.

I don't mind if the game is more restricted, with a short gameplay duration of 10+ hours, as long as it's an amazing gaming experience, gameplay and storywise.

When I think Superman game, I imagine a mix between Zone of the Enders 2, Arkham Asylum and God of War. Zone of the Enders 2 for the well done gameplay like flying mechanics, use of multiple incredible powers, abusing constructs from the environment or enemies as weapons. Arkham Asylum for the attention to detail, love and quality that went into it. And God of War for epic battles and use of quick time events.

Yup, agreed. If it's short but good, it would lay the foundation for a franchise just like B:AA.

A Wonder Woman Game damn it! I wouldn't care if it rips off GOW being Greek Myth. and all. :)
I was thining of a WW game as well, but I think they are more inclined to give their male heroes love before her

I want Rocksteady to make a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold buddy adventure after they are done with Batman.

It would be awesome. :(

I want Rocksteady to make a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold buddy adventure after they are done with Batman.

It would be awesome. :(
Whoever that is, I dont think he is popular enough to justify a game from a marketing standpoint. DC has alot of heroes bigger than that at the head of the line

What if they focused on Superman's powers and abilities and didnt allow free flying? Flying was only possible in certain situations and prompts. Im thinking similarly to Batman and no free jumping on AA. When I first found that out, I was pretty upset and hated the idea, but surprisingly the gameplay was done so well that the instances where he did "jump" felt implemented well. Do you think the developers could do something similar with the flying. Limit it to hovering during normal gameplay and Heavy Rain style QTEs for flying combat

I think that'd be the first very big mistake, not to allow free flying. Jumping is very different, it's not a mode of transportation for Batman and essential to get around the environment. Instead of restricting the flying, I'd force the player to have to stay close to the enemy. For example, if the distance between you and your enemy is too great, he'll focus his attention on other things, like civilians, people important to Superman like going after Lois or senslessy causing destruction. So you can't simply just laserheat spam from a safe distance.

They could even use quick time events for this. Say you fight Doomsday, and you're safe in the air, the camera will cut to Doomsday picking up a truck and throwing it at a building, a button promp will pop up and when pressed correctly, you'll catch the truck. In that moment though Doomsday will come charging at you and force you into melee combat.

I'd probably get rid of the free-roaming and not have most of the action take place in Metropolis. Superman is a global hero, he has the ability to go wherever he is needed. He also goes to distant planets, other dimensions or has a occasional enemy encounter in space. So large open areas are the way to go, with more at stake than human filled buildings.

That's why I think taking some cues from Zone of the Enders 2 wouldn't be a bad idea. You had completely free movement, with amazing aerial battles, the occasional protect civilians mission that didn't get too annoying, tons of devastating moves that could easily take care of multiple enemies, in the game you were even fighting giant battleships and had to destroy them before they reached their destination and the entire battle took place in the skies. Perfect for a Darkseid invasion scenario.

Of course Superman's moveset would be slightly limited, with only his superbreath and heatvision, but they could easily vary them up. Like one continuous heat beam, a radial heatbeam for when he's surrounded, short bursts against multiple targets, super and freezebreath, even pulling enemies towards him by sucking in air.

Superman could be really awesome if you increase the scope of it and don't have the bulk of the game take place in a free-roaming Metropolis and are forced to constantly save civilians.

I really want a Superman game with this epic scope.

[YT]O5jZ-920YmA[/YT]

Last edited:
We know that sometimes developers were able to deliver a good game adaptation. Like the 2nd Spider-Man Movie game or Wolverine: Origins.

I'll judge it once I get to play it.

I think a wonder woman game should be a no brainer seeing as how female lead characters do really well in games and the combat and weapons she uses would translate very well to a game. As for superman that flight is the trickiest thing to figure out, I was thinking that the six axis controller would almost be ideal for air movement if they could figure out a way to pull it off.

Two good movie games in the past 25 years is not really a good track record. They should make a game not based on the movie but based on the character. If it happens to come out around the same time as the movie then that's fine. Games based on movies never work and it blows my mind that publishers still put the time into making them.

As for superman that flight is the trickiest thing to figure out, I was thinking that the six axis controller would almost be ideal for air movement if they could figure out a way to pull it off.

A big hell no to the six axis. I want to be able to fly without having to hold a steady hand, in order not to bump against buidings or other obstacles while I try to fight or fly after the enemy.

Also, I don't understand what is exactly so tricky about getting flight right. You need to be able to ascend, descend, move forwards and backwards, have camera controls to allow you to fly wherever you look, targeting and homing function, a quick 180° turn, a button that you can tab/press for highspeed flying. I've seen enough games already doing it right.

Heck, even cheap cash-ins like the most recent DBZ game Raging Blast give us pretty badass flight mechanics.

Two good movie games in the past 25 years is not really a good track record. They should make a game not based on the movie but based on the character. If it happens to come out around the same time as the movie then that's fine. Games based on movies never work and it blows my mind that publishers still put the time into making them.

I have to agree with this. Instead of making a game adaptation of the Movie adaptation of the comic books, they should simply make a game based entirely on the comics. It doesn't matter if the game doesn't follow the movie entirely, since they put additional content, that isn't in the movie, into the game anyway.

The only connection the games should have with the Movies, are maybe the art/design direction, yet keep it comic booky and don't try to get the likeliness of the characters right, and maybe get the actors to do the voice work.

Trying to remain in the confinements of the script and waiting for regular script updates, just restricts development and holds them back. Not to mention that the story mostly ends up being a jumbled mess, if you just stuff additional content into a story that's written for a 1 1/2-2 hour movie.

I think a wonder woman game should be a no brainer seeing as how female lead characters do really well in games
Out of curiosity, which female lead characters were you thinking of that lead you to this conclusion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"