New DC Comics Games Coming

Two good movie games in the past 25 years is not really a good track record. They should make a game not based on the movie but based on the character. If it happens to come out around the same time as the movie then that's fine. Games based on movies never work and it blows my mind that publishers still put the time into making them.
there are more than 2 examples. Spiderman 2 just happens to be the best example and Wolverine is the most recent one. Spiderman 1 was a good one. Batman Returns, Hulk (2003) also were. I would say its been a mixed bag as far as comic based titles. They tend to fare better than other movie games

I suppose the comic book characters lend themselves to game adaption better than other properties. Using Green Lantern as an example, I think basing the game on the movie will be a mistake. Obviously I'm not a game maker but basing a game on a 2 hour movie seems awfully restrictive. They really should take Arkham Asylum into consideration. Batman is popular right now and that's all you really need. The name recognition alone is enough. By the time the Green Lantern movie comes out the name will get people interested. They need to make their own story and maybe this part is nitpicky but I hate when they try to make the game character look like the actor that plays him. I want to be Green Lantern when I play not Ryan Reynolds dressed up as Green Lantern.

I was hoping to have Rocksteady Studios handle some other DC characters such as Superman and Green Lantern.

They probably will. This is from the article about WB buying Rocksteady.
Studio director Sefton Hill said; "[We're] very much looking forward to creating more great games based on widely recognised Warner Bros. brands like Batman."

I was hoping to have Rocksteady Studios handle some other DC characters such as Superman and Green Lantern.

I'd say it's a given, if you they did so well with Batman, I'm pretty sure they can do just as good with Superman.

It's not really a given. They might do as well with story and presentation, but making good Superman gameplay, that's a whole other beast. The game has to be much, much bigger in scope. You have to try to create a good and challenging game around a character that's practically invincible, yet you just can't have him trash everything like Hulk.

They should make a Superman game like Shadow of the Colossus. Because really in a game it makes no sense that you would have to struggle or your life bar would go down trying to stop some thugs on the street. Make the Daily Planet your hub or something. Important story elements can happen there and you can see the supporting cast, but have the different bosses you fight be all over Metropolis and surrounding areas. Heck you could even have a few in Smallville.

It's not really a given. They might do as well with story and presentation, but making good Superman gameplay, that's a whole other beast. The game has to be much, much bigger in scope. You have to try to create a good and challenging game around a character that's practically invincible, yet you just can't have him trash everything like Hulk.
IA. The reason why Batman worked well in AA bc it was pretty small and self contained. I dont think it would have been as well if they went and did a bigger world with a larger scope in mind for their first outing. They might be able to get tighter gameplay with Superman if they had a small vision like with AA, but balancing that with what people expect of him would be a challenge. I think people want Superman an outside environment and not contained to a facility. Once he's outside, the biggest obstacle is the flying and properly executing a combat component to that

I thought about this a lot in terms of superman flying.

You would need him to almost fly like a car changing gears.

As for destructible building environments, I'm really on both sides of the fence. At one moment how are you saving the city if your destroying it, at the same time does it make any sense if it doesn't get destroyed and where do you draw the line. I mean, realistically you are superman...the one that can do no wrong.

To be honest, creatively I could not think of a solution and I'm sure everyone can identify the problem.
An alternative is to allow for only certain elements to be destroyed, or in certain situations. Perhaps you can only destroy buildings during fights that are initiated.

As for the fights, I would prefer it if they all felt epic. If I want thug fights I'll play batman.

The Daily Planet as the Hub would work, with a map you can open, showing you different sections of Metropolis that you can travel to. Random crimes are useless, since you're Superman, so I'd leave them out. At most, I'd have Superman stop crimes at the start of the game, to introduce you to the controls.

Areas should be restricted, with the illusion of a giant city, created through cinematic boss battles, that take the fight through several sections of Metropolis.

I believe the developers of the cancelled Superman game already had the right idea. Of course I don't know if whether or not they had a free-roaming environment in mind, but the cinematic battle with quicktime prompts looks amazing.

[YT]VKvjKcDSswA[/YT]

And boss battles should allow for different outcomes, and paths you take can change, depending on how well you do during battles and quicktime events. Similar to Heavy Rain. A scenario with an enemy could end quickly if you managed to input the button commands correctly, or drag on if you messed up. So similar, the better you do during a fight, the safer the surroundings will be and you get the enemy away from civilians. Though if you mess up, you could crash into a total different section of the city, crash through a bridge support and would have to catch a train full with civilians.

And I'd love if they'd somehow made use of Superman's other abilities, like his superhearing, x-ray/telescope-vision, etc. The superhearing could be a mini-game similar to Arkham Asylum's high frequenzy lock picking. But instead of trying to match the frequency, you'd have to filter out noise till you hear what you're looking for. Like you can't find Lois, Jimmy, or whoever else, you listen to the surroundings, filter out the other sounds till you hear them shout for help, then a way pointer pops up showing you the way.

Out of curiosity, which female lead characters were you thinking of that lead you to this conclusion?

I was thinking of tomb raider and bayonetta. In movies it seems they are very cautious of a wonder woman film but in games it doesn't seem that with having female characters as the lead. Just my opinion of course. I never saw that superman footage from the cancelled game, I've always seen the first half but never the part and fighting with doomsday, that looked really cool.

I was thinking of tomb raider and bayonetta. In movies it seems they are very cautious of a wonder woman film but in games it doesn't seem that with having female characters as the lead. Just my opinion of course.
Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't those proprieties had poor commercial success? IIRC both Bayonetta and at last Tomb Raider had good/fair critical reviews but sold poorly.

I do agree though that female leads don't seem to carry the stigma as much as in the movie industry.

More on topic though, I hope DC doesn't just stick to Superman, Batman, and movie tie in games. More original adaptions I feel would be best such as Arkham Asylum. I think a Green Lantern Corps game in the vein of Mass Effect could be amazing and I'd really like to see another Justice league game.

And of course I'd love a Flash game but I myself cant think of the best way to utilize the character. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
I'd like to see a Wonder Woman action beat'em up title. I think it'd be pretty cool. Probably won't happen, but hey, whatever. I'm kind of interested in a Green Lantern game, but I know it'd just be Hal Jordan. Guy can't even hold my interest for a single comic, much less a full 10-12 hour long game campaign.

Superman and Flash would be pretty cool, too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't those proprieties had poor commercial success? IIRC both Bayonetta and at last Tomb Raider had good/fair critical reviews but sold poorly.

Not sure on the critical reaction, but the last Tomb Raider sold around 2.5 million copies, and the last two games before that did similar numbers. Bayonetta had great critical reception and has solid 1.1 million units as of February. Not the greatest, but it sold pretty good considering the lack of mainstream appeal it had.

Not sure on the critical reaction, but the last Tomb Raider sold around 2.5 million copies, and the last two games before that did similar numbers. Bayonetta had great critical reception and has solid 1.1 million units as of February. Not the greatest, but it sold pretty good considering the lack of mainstream appeal it had.
Thanks for the information. Do you happen to know if those sales figures are worldwide?

Last I heard Bayonetta sales were around 100,000 on the NPD charts and I remember hearing on multiple podcasts that Eidos was disappointed with Tomb Raiders sales.

Yeah, worldwide. The link for the 2.5 million mark on TR is broken on wiki, so maybe it's not accurate. I'm pretty sure it still did well commercially, though

People need to stop posting that canceled Superman game footage, it depresses me. :(

What should a Wonder Woman game be like anyway? I'm only used to see her together with the rest of the League.

IMO, free-roaming for this game should be completely left out. Would the plot of the game be similar to the DTV movie, with her first contact to the world of man and her having to try to stop an evil plot of the gods? Should she be able to fly from the start or earn it much later in the game? It didn't bother me too much that she didn't seem to be able to fly in the Movie and having some God of War style game would probably fit her pretty well.

This is probably the game where I'd have the flight be limited and have it like Justice League Heroes, because you have set paths to follow and having the ability to freely fly around wouldn't do you much good anyway.

Last edited:
I didnt even know she could fly until Justice Leage the cartoon. That shocked me. It wouldnt bother me if flight were limited in a game featuring her.

What should a Wonder Woman game be like anyway? I'm only used to see her together with the rest of the League.

IMO, free-roaming for this game should be completely left out. Would the plot of the game be similar to the DTV movie, with her first contact to the world of man and her having to try to stop an evil plot of the gods? Should she be able to fly from the start or earn it much later in the game? It didn't bother me too much that she didn't seem to be able to fly in the Movie and having some God of War style game would probably fit her pretty well.

This is probably the game where I'd have the flight be limited and have it like Justice League Heroes, because you have set paths to follow and having the ability to freely fly around wouldn't do you much good anyway.

I'm thinking something with God of War style gameplay (I prefer games like DMC and Bayonetta gameplay-wise, but GOW combat is simpler and more mainstream so more people would probably be interested). Obviously, not as bloody and brutal, but she is a super-strong warrior from a group of people who are basically suppose to be female Spartans. She has super strength, but you could have her use weapons and fight mostly mythological creatures.

Plotwise, I could see something set on the island before she goes to man's world. They could probably stretch how big the island is, and make the whole game set there in sections to some degree. Or, if they wanted to, they could strecth canon and have her do some adventuring off the island. The story could involved something about taking on the Gods, or they could start out smaller and maybe have her and the other Amazons battling a massive re-invasion by Hercules (since he's traditionally a villian at DC Comics) or something like that.

As far as flight, eh, whatever. If they can't do it right I wouldn't really miss it or anything if they took it out.

Last edited:
Flash Game Please Flash Game Please Flash Game Please
This.

I also want a Green Lantern RPG, now THAT'D be a great game.

Why exactly RPG? What do you have in mind for a Green Lantern game?

You create your own Lantern (perhaps in different corps besides the typical Green) & you can expand & upgrade your character throughout the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"