New Family Pet Needed, Suggestions Needed

Aesop Rocks

Now I'm Free.
Reaction score
My dad has had his black lab for 15 years, who he had to recently had to put down after an altercation with a coyote. My dad is a straight-up dog lover but doesn't think a dog can replace the old one, I guess I agree with him about it? Anyways, my parents are separated and have been for most of my young adult life, my mom thinks we I should recommend a cat and my dad would probably call me a pansy for suggesting it but, I really don't see what other animals there are he could get that would "make up" for a dog he's had so long. He lives alone and that dog was a big important part of his life. I guess it just sucks seeing my dad all bummed out and stuff.

Any suggestions would be amazing.

At first I was going to make fun of you... now I feel badly.

Have you thought about just getting a small dog of a different breed?

I'd say that it'd be best to wait a bit before looking for a new pet, and if you do get another one, let it happen naturally. That way the new pet can always stand on its own as a part of the family, not as a replacement.

My mom and dad had a small dog and the lab when they were together, we all agreed we hated it.

I'd say that it'd be best to wait a bit before looking for a new pet, and if you do get another one, let it happen naturally. That way the new pet can always stand on its own as a part of the family, not as a replacement.

I agree, but this is just really depressing.

He'd probably be open to all kind of animals.

Also, I've got to say that having a Labrador that, at age 15, only had to be put down after an encounter with a coyote is very impressive and a good indicator to how well cared for the dog was.

I guess so. lol

He had a few other dogs but got something called parvo.

Oh and Dark Reflections: Read "doesn't want another dog".

Parvo is bad, it's one of those diseases that really should be required to be vaccinated against, like rabies is. It may not have the public safety issues that rabies has, but it is one of the worst canine diseases I've ever seen, and is incredibly contagious and difficult to get rid of.

Yeah, we found all that out the hard way. :csad:

I might suggest to my dad a ferret. :awesome:

Parvo is bad, it's one of those diseases that really should be required to be vaccinated against, like rabies is. It may not have the public safety issues that rabies has, but it is one of the worst canine diseases I've ever seen, and is incredibly contagious and difficult to get rid of.

1200 dollars later, and my dog is ok but he had parvo really bad.

parvo is no joke, my sister lost a husky to it once

Yeah, we found all that out the hard way. :csad:

I might suggest to my dad a ferret. :awesome:

from what i've heard from ferret owners, they don't have too long of a lifespan and they don't respond to medication well. a friend of mine had 2 and said they constantly had intestinal problems or something like that

1200 dollars later, and my dog is ok but he had parvo really bad.

parvo is no joke, my sister lost a husky to it once

Another good reason to keep vaccinations up to date, which for Parvo can be every 6 months: Treatment is expensive.

from what i've heard from ferret owners, they don't have too long of a lifespan and they don't respond to medication well. a friend of mine had 2 and said they constantly had intestinal problems or something like that

Ferrets live about 8-9 years and they're technically considered "exotic pets" and many vets don't know how to treat them. They aren't hard to medicate though. They do get some major health issues, but what species doesn't?

i didn't know they were considered exotic, thanks for the info. i knew you'd be the go-to guy

I'm the Hype's Official Veterinary Consultant. :word:

I don't know. If one dog dies, I would get another one. It's not going to "replace" the old one, but it will be a whole new experience of its own.

Get an Abe Vigoda. They're simply adorable, and they never ever die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"