New FF Set Reports Thread.

Carp Man

Sidekick
Reaction score
Ok. They can pull pictures, but let us see if they can mess with the printed word. And news you get from the set, post it here, and let us discuss it. No pictures. I do not want the Fox picture police comming after me. :woot:

Fantastic Four 2 Set Reports

Source: kuhlaiyen
September 10, 2006

Scooper 'kuhlaiyen' caught some of the Fantastic Four: Rise of The Silver Surfer action in Vancouver this weekend:

On Saturday morning on the 9th of September 2006 in Vancouver BC at Granville and Pender, I saw some interesting Fantastic 4 sequel production going on. It's not uncommon to see filming around here, but I became interested when I saw some people "discreetly" handling a prosthetic mask of the Thing! Then I saw Michael Chiklis, the Thing himself. He wasn't "Thing" at the time, just in his street clothes. The man is short! Then I saw a silver/grey Dodge Ram truck being hoisted into the air by a crane. Pretty cool stuff, but sadly no Jessica Alba :(

'KalEl1949' also witnessed the filming and said:

I was downtown on Pender on Saturday when I got to watch filming of the Fantastic Four sequel. They started with a clip of Johnny Storm and The Thing coming out of a cake shop with two wedding cakes. The Thing's car is blocked by vans in front and behind so he hands the cakes to Johnny and lifts the car out of the spot and tosses it onto the road. It took a few hours to film all of this but it was definatly quite a sight to see The Thing in full costume, it looks like they've make his brow thicker.

Note : Ben and Johnny with 2 wedding cakes. Does that confirm the Reed, Sue wedding ?

Fantastic Four Sequel Starts Filming
Source: Advanced Dark
September 2, 2006

Fantastic Four: Rise of The Silver Surfer director Tim Story has updated his official Blog and says that filming has started on the sequel:

So it has begun! The Fantastic Four have been photographed for Rise of The Silver Surfer. Felt like old times. Everyone's back in the mix and really picking their characters up where we last left off.

We also shot Andre Braugher for the first time. He plays General Hager, an old acquaintance of Reed Richards and one of the major additions to the movie. Jessicas is looking amazing. Chris has his energetic performance firing on all cylinders. Ioan looks great and Chiklis is funny as ever as the blue-eyed Thing.

One of the days was pretty long. Just happened to be one of those locations that we can't come back to and we had a lot of effects shots. Those things always take forever. The background plates, then the actor buy himself, then the crowd. Blah blah blah. Wish we could shoot everything practically, but then again, I guess stretching Ioan may not go over too well.

More to come guys. Fairly straightforward start. 3 days off then we're back to it.

I like the sound of that scene. Classic.

And it sounds like the Thing suit is a bit easier to get on and off.

zer00 said:

:up: That's what I was thinking when I read it. Sounds like it could have come right out of the comics.

Carp Man said:
Well I see they still have pictures of the Thing on HNR.

http://www.hollywoodnorthreport.com/article.php?Article=3512

Here's the link.

I'll be surprised if HNR takes them down. As people have pointed out, since the filming was done in a public area, I don't think Fox has any legal grounds to force anyone to remove photos.

I suspect they asked SHH to take the photos off, and SHH, wanting to maintain good relations, honored their request.

But this is pretty much what HNR does, so I don't think they'll be as co-operative.

Willie Lumpkin said:
I'll be surprised if HNR takes them down. As people have pointed out, since the filming was done in a public area, I don't think Fox has any legal grounds to force anyone to remove photos.

I suspect they asked SHH to take the photos off, and SHH, wanting to maintain good relations, honored their request.

But this is pretty much what HNR does, so I don't think they'll be as co-operative.

I think the Thing looks great. I like the subtle changes made to the costume. Nothing BIG, but small changes here and there that make him look better then last time. Good job. :yay:

TripleF said:
I'm not sure of the legalities, but if they closed off an area to film, and the photographer did not have the proper ok to be in that area, then it might not be considered a public area. But, damn thats a huge gray area.

Interesting. If it's a truly restricted area, they might have a case. Anyone who had photos from a restricted area would be providing evidence that they trespassed. . . and if anyone actually has access to the restricted areas would likely have signed confidentiality agreements.

. . . but the photos I've seen - from the airport and cake shop - were probably taken from public areas.

And that touches on why Fox really shouldn't be to concerned with this. All of the really good stuff is probably taking place behind closed doors. There are probably Baxter Building sets, (hopefully) Latveria sets, rooftop sets with greenscreens for the eventual city background, a Fantasticar on a green set, etc. The only things we're going to see are the brief moments when the characters are out in public.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never see Doom or the Surfer until Fox wants us to.

Oh well. Gives us something to look forward to.

zer00 said:

And it sounds like the Thing suit is a bit easier to get on and off.

Good point. Sounds like the mask is 1 piece. Which is good for Chilkis because he does not have to spend 3 to 4 hours in makeup. More time for filming. More energy for Chilkis to perform to his fullest. They said they made the suit lighter, which will help with movement, and he will not have to use as much energy to move around in it.

Carp Man said:
Ok. They can pull pictures, but let us see if they can mess with the printed word.

Hey, what happened to the words had I printed here? Has Fox been in here, again? Rothman, is that you...?

Orpheum:

Orph5.GIF

Orph6.gif

Interesting . . .

Willie Lumpkin said:
From HNR:

"They are currently setting up at the Orpheum. The scene will be for the interior of Dr Doom's mansion. Circus is parked along Granville Street from Robson to Smithe."

http://www.hollywoodnorthreport.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3822

Anyone from the area know what "The Orpheum" is?

After checking www.maps.google.com, it looks like The Orpheum is a theater. The interesting thing is that the Orpheum Theater doesn't seem to be on Granville St. It appears to be on the corner of Smithe and Seymour.

>^^<

So Doom's gonna be the phantom of the opera?

lol. but seriosly it looks interesting.

Oh, that should look cool, I :meow: think.

Sounds good. Pics of the theatre are amazing, they have a royal look to it.

That sure is interesting....I wonder if they will just show some extras bustling about as servants or if Julian will be showing up soon on set? I don't think he will be available until at least October. I also found a link to a virtual tour of the theater at http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/theatres/frame_menu.html

I wonder if the stage itself will be a part of the filming or just the lobby? They could dress up the lobby to be a sort of reception room to the castle/mansion.

This reminds me of a one shot story from a few years back with the opening scenes taking place in a grand theatre in Latveria. I grabbed this image since I my copy is boxed up and I am too lazy to dig it out...:woot:

MarvelDoubleShots2.gif

Iron Maiden said:
That sure is interesting. I also found a link to a virtual tour of the theater at http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/theatres/frame_menu.html

I wonder if the stage itself will be a part of the filming or just the lobby? They could dress up the lobby to be a sort of reception room to the castle/mansion.

Cool! I wondered the same thing, but after seeing how ornate the lobby looks, I'm guessing that's it. It does look very similar to some of Kirby's interiors of Doom's castle (see photo above that I tried posting through snapfish, but had to add as an attachment because there was a string of letters in the address that the software was filtering).

Good catch Willie, I was thinking of that same image too, from Jack and Stan's last major FF/Doom arc. (also edited my post above to add a more recent story by Priest)

That shows that at least they are going back to one aspect of the Doom character and that is that old world sort of look. The Von Doom Tower was impressive in the first film but this is more his style.

The Orpheum is amazing looking but Doom's mansion? Is this an error do they mean castle because I sincerely hope this is his castle and not a mansion. Also, is this place suppose to be in Latveria or here in America? It better be Latveria....

GoblinScrier said:
The Orpheum is amazing looking but Doom's mansion? Is this an error do they mean castle because I sincerely hope this is his castle and not a mansion. Also, is this place suppose to be in Latveria or here in America? It better be Latveria....

I wouldn't worry about it.

1. The person who referred to it as his Mansion is probably more familiar with movie FF than Comic FF and is simply referring to it as a mansion because he/she assumes that's what it is.

2. There's no reason to think it's not in Latveria other than that they're filming in Vancouver . . . which is standing in for New York . . . but since they're shooting interiors rather than exteriors, the interior could be anywhere.

3. The Orpheus interior corridors look very much like the castle interior Jack Kirby drew. . . so I see this as good, not questionable news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"