Don Payne (writer) talks FF sequel!!!

I was just watching King Arthur, and while it's not the greatest movie, Ioan shows that he can play a powerful character with his Lancelot portrayal. So if they write a strong Reed character for him, I have no doubt he can pull it off.

Making the sequel "funnier" does not make me very excited by this movie at all. Don Payne writes for The Simpsons? Are we talking about Galactus and his herald, The Silver Surfer coming to destroy the planet in this movie? Yeah that sounds like pure comedy gold to me? How about making this a more serious and better film than the first one. That would make me more excited to see it. Call ILM and have them do the effects. That would be a step in the right direction.

THOR said:
Making the sequel "funnier" does not make me very excited by this movie at all. Don Payne writes for The Simpsons? Are we talking about Galactus and his herald, The Silver Surfer coming to destroy the planet in this movie? Yeah that sounds like pure comedy gold to me? How about making this a more serious and better film than the first one. That would make me more excited to see it. Call ILM and have them do the effects. That would be a step in the right direction.

Yeah, Don Payne is a writer. Not a "some dude who can only write jokes and nothing else"

Can robin Williams just do comedy? Jim Carrey? George Carlin?

Mario Puzo wrote the Godfather then wrote the first draft of Superman: The Movie.

so my god....people that can do more than one thing!?

THOR said:

I don't think he's going to write "pure comedy"....and to think that is kind of crazy.....as far as special effects....I have confidence they are headed in the right direction....the writing and effects are the least of my worries....

acting in good shape
writing sounds good to me
effects sounding better and better each day

editing????????????
editing????????????
editing????????????

and unfortunately thats something we won't know until

1. Hoy is gone....
2. I have to wait for the movie itself....

so right now I'm ok.....feeling good about what I'm reading.....so far.....

Did you even read what I wrote? A quote from Don Payne:

"The Silver Surfer will be in it. The Fantasticar will be in it. We're just trying to make it more exciting and funnier, and, you know, we're trying to top the first one."

This is not what the movie needs. More exciting and better, yes by all means. Funnier? Nope. Not with Galactus and The Silver Surfer coming to destroy the planet. Don Payne has written the following movies:

My Super-Ex Girlfriend

That's it. The only movie he has written is a horrible looking comedy. He has also written episodes of the Simpsons. An epsiode of Hope and Gloria, and Men Behaving Badly. Judging from this resume he has not written anything so far in his career that makes me excited to see his name attached to write a Fantastic Four sequel. I hope he does a great job with the script and they make a true FF movie this tme around. Perhaps this will be like X2, which was a lot better than X1 and bigger in scope. Fingers crossed.

THOR said:
Did you even read what I wrote? A quote from Don Payne:

"The Silver Surfer will be in it. The Fantasticar will be in it. We're just trying to make it more exciting and funnier, and, you know, we're trying to top the first one."

This is not what the movie needs. More exciting and better, yes by all means. Funnier? Nope. Not with Galactus and The Silver Surfer coming to destroy the planet. Don Payne has written the following movies:

My Super-Ex Girlfriend

That's it. The only movie he has written is a horrible looking comedy. He has also written episodes of the Simpsons. An epsiode of Hope and Gloria, and Men Behaving Badly. Judging from this resume he has not written anything so far in his career that makes me excited to see his name attached to write a Fantastic Four sequel. I hope he does a great job with the script and they make a true FF movie this tme around. Perhaps this will be like X2, which was a lot better than X1 and bigger in scope. Fingers crossed.

And thats fine, I respect your opinion....I just don't think its going to be comedy heavy.....thats just my opinion....:)

and apparently I did read your post or I wouldn't have used "your" words of "pure comedy..."

I'm not debating a right or wrong here...you gave your opinion....I gave mine....thats all.

I do! To be completely honest, the F4 shouldn't be funny at all! You can have light moments between Johnny and Ben but they should be very light and very few.

The F4 should be a hardcore action movie with serious overtones, especially if Galactus is showing up.

kirbyfan said:
I do! To be completely honest, the F4 shouldn't be funny at all! You can have light moments between Johnny and Ben but they should be very light and very few.

The F4 should be a hardcore action movie with serious overtones, especially if Galactus is showing up.

when don payne said funneir he didn't mean there will be more comedy lines than there was in first movie. He meant whatever comedy there will be in F4-2 will be more funny (funnier) than the comdey lines in F4.

I myself will be pissed if the movie is 65% comedy and only 35% action.

I will be happy if the movie has a lot of action and comedy and the action is spectacular.

^ Yeah I'm sure the SS will be cracking jokes with Galactus as Doom is sending his Doombots to take over the world. LOL

It won't be 65% comedy. It's a good mix though.

The Fantastic Four has always been the most lighthearted of the Marvel books, that's a given. They're action/drama packed, but don't kid yourself either. And I think Payne, as a Simpsons writer, knows enough about the characters to not make the whole thing tongue in cheek as he would a Simpsons ep. He's not dumb.

Keep in mind that just because one person is writing...does NOT mean that only one person is writing. Screenplay writers work is never final...it has to go through multiple drafts from multiple people. (I used to do screenplay writing) The first draft done by the screenplayer writer often does not closely resemble the final product.

GhostPoet said:
Keep in mind that just because one person is writing...does NOT mean that only one person is writing. Screenplay writers work is never final...it has to go through multiple drafts from multiple people. (I used to do screenplay writing) The first draft done by the screenplayer writer often does not closely resemble the final product.
I thought we were pretty much at the end of that process. They start shooting next month. Plus, if they've only just decided on which script to use there can't have been too much tinkering to date.

Onlooker said:
I thought we were pretty much at the end of that process. They start shooting next month. Plus, if they've only just decided on which script to use there can't have been too much tinkering to date.

There will actually be daily changes to the script.....there are different colored script sheets given, faxed, whatever to the actors on a daily basis showing changes to the script....that could be part of what he's talking about..

Just to keep tracking, Payne´s penned My Super Ex-Girlfriend has rated so far 50% "rotten" at RT and has been described as "only occasionally funny" and "full of sexist stereotypes about women".

ultimatefan said:
Just to keep tracking, Payne´s penned My Super Ex-Girlfriend has rated so far 50% "rotten" at RT and has been described as "only occasionally funny" and "full of sexist stereotypes about women".

I'm going to see it tonight....I'll see what I think then...

ultimatefan said:

That is not bad actually.

and btw do u expect F4-2 to be FRESH.

I for one expect it to be rotten due to the first movie. Even if the movie is huge improvement over the predecesor CRITICS will not review it fairly because most of them are not fans of the comic book and well they hate F4 with a passion.

Galactus: Sue. Go out with me, I'll give you the universe.

Sue: No, I love Reed.

Galactus: Fine. I'll eat your planet.

A woman's scorned is nothing compared to Galactus's hunger

antariksh said:
That is not bad actually.

and btw do u expect F4-2 to be FRESH.

I for one expect it to be rotten due to the first movie. Even if the movie is huge improvement over the predecesor CRITICS will not review it fairly because most of them are not fans of the comic book and well they hate F4 with a passion.
I´m keeping my expectations low, maybe I´ll be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt. I don´t see it being a huge improvement with basically the same cast and crew and a writer who so far doesn´t inspire confidence.

I think Fantastic Four is going to pleasant surprise most of us again, even with increased expectations. There was alot of room for improvement in the first film, but fortunately, it delviered enough success to get a rapid start, and while I'm still nervous about Galactus and Surfer, I'm pretty bullish about what's coming down the pike...

antariksh said:
What the hell is your problem man? if your such a big fan why are you calling it rotten?

I'll post it again, the F4 should be done seriously!! There were light moments in the comics, but the serious drama of the situations were way more in number. F4 is not a lighthearted funny book, at least not the real blueprint, not the real source material that king Kirby created!

Make this movie hardcore and serious, with Silver Surfer and especially Galactus arriving it shouldn't be done any other way!!

Just got back from My Super Ex-Girlfriend.

It wasn't Shakespeare by any means, but it was entertaining and fun, light entertainment.

It had a very familiar feel to it . . . like 100 other romantic comedies you've seen before, but I think that may have had more to do with Ivan Reitman's direction than the script. The story did have some unique and creative elements, though nothing about it was spectacular.

Also it wasn't goofball or over-the-top comedy. The comedy was based on the characters and situations, so I think that bodes well.

Payne clearly has the ability to craft a cohesive, fun story at the least. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with the FF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"